AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a member since 02 have an Panny Dec 04 build date still running well.

Since my son is going to buy a new TV I have suggested a Panasonic plasma is the way to go. I am now retired so have lots of time to read these boards and many others, to review the various Tv's. It seems to me that failure rates seem high,everywhere I read reviews from consumers they are getting the blinking red light of death as it is now called, and may times the boards are on back order, some of these fail right out of the box. Since many time the boards are on back order it would seem that there are so many failures Panny can't keep up.

Back in 04-05 I don't remember reading about all these failures,could be more people buy plasmas,more people complain on forums,more forums,or Panny is cutting back on component costs. I tend to believe that there are many Panasonic Plasms on the market that have not failed,but the complaint rate seems rather high.

Anyone really know what is going on.

Thanks Old Mike

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
For every person that suffers a failure and seeks out a forum to complain about it on, there are probably hundreds more who are blissfully not experiencing any problems and the TV is doing what it's supposed to do, you just never see them seek out a message forum to let everyone know it's working as advertised.

FWIW, the last CR report i'm aware of gives Panasonic a 2% failure rate, better than the other two brands which are a few points higher. Also in talking to four TV repair shops now, they've all said that Panasonic is the most reliable brand and their customer service is the least problematic. But i still consider a 2% failure rate to be too high, but i'm expecting too much out of today's modern electronics where a little 25cent capacitor can bulge and instantly render a TV completely inoperable until the board that contains it is replaced.

Another problem with modern TVs is that they no longer just replace a tube or manually replace a soldered cap or diode - they swap out a $500 board instead.

One possible reason that the boards are on backorder is because replacement boards are actually returned cores from defective TVs that have been factory refurbished, so that relatively low failure rate could mean not enough defective cores have been turned in and that causes a shortage of ready-to-go components.

·
Registered
1 Posts

RandyWalters;19605566 FWIW said:
Actually that 2% number from CR is for Panny LCD units; the plasmas are at 3%. Note that the most recent survey is from 2009. Also note that the rate for Samsung plasmas was 5%, and LG was double Panny at 6%.

Oh BTW, hi from a new poster and Panny owner...

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realworld51 /forum/post/19606167

Actually that 2% number from CR is for Panny LCD units; the plasmas are at 3%. Note that the most recent survey is from 2009. Also note that the rate for Samsung plasmas was 5%, and LG was double Panny at 6%.

Oh BTW, hi from a new poster and Panny owner...

Buying Guide 2011 says 2% for Panasonic Plasma.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Based on an owner survey in the latest (Dec 2010) issue of Consumer Reports:

Of plasma TV's purchased between 2007 and the first half of 2010, Panasonic had a 3% failure rate, Samsung 5%, and LG 6%. They also stated that 68% of the reported failures occurred within the first year of operation and 76% of the repairs were made at no charge to the consumer. I believe these failure rates have not radically changed in the past five years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.