AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic TH-46PZ85U and my roommates occasionally leave the tv on after turning off the cable/DVR box before they go to bed. It's just a blank (black) screen. Is this bad for the television? I know black bars are bad while watching television.

I'm worried that my roommates won't take care of the tv like I do...so I would appreciate any tips, advice, or consolations regarding this issue. Maybe it's not a big deal. (I know, I know...if I was concerned about these things, I should have bought a LCD, but I wanted the best!) I have already set the DVR to 'grey bars' in case they forget to format the screen.

BTW, the TH-46PZ85U is a GREAT tv! I researched it for months before I bought it and I was not let down.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccatfan /forum/post/15435034

I have a Panasonic TH-46PZ85U and my roommates occasionally leave the tv on after turning off the cable/DVR box before they go to bed. It's just a blank (black) screen. Is this bad for the television? I know black bars are bad while watching television.

I'm worried that my roommates won't take care of the tv like I do...so I would appreciate any tips, advice, or consolations regarding this issue.

Leaving the TV on with a blank/no input screen won't hurt it. You can set the TV's handy Timer function to automatically shut the TV off every night at a certain time (like 11
m or whatever) so if they leave it on, at least it won't be on all night.

You might want to have a talk with your roommates and tell them that since you're allowing them to use your expensive new TV, the least they can do is respect your wishes that they make sure to turn it off when they're done, as well as try to avoid watching black-bar content as much as possible. It's not too much to ask, and wouldn't be hard for them to get into the habit of doing this. If they don't respect it, you can always password-protect the TV so that they cannot watch it unless you're there to enter your password.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15435207

You can set the TV's handy Timer function to automatically shut the TV off every night at a certain time (like 11
m or whatever) so if they leave it on, at least it won't be on all night.

The timers are my best friend. Ideally, I'd like to have a couple more, but whomever included that feature in the tv from Panasonic...well, I owe him/her a cold beer!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have last years Panny and it automatically shuts down when it detects no signal to the input for a set amount of time. Is that feature not on the 08's?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Randy. I'm glad to hear leaving it on with no signal won't hurt it. Do you know why it is different then the normal black bars while watching TV? Just curious.

I've informed the roommates of the funky rules of the TV and, for the most part, they have been compliant. After confronting one of the roommates about leaving a static image, he expressed his frustration to me about having to worry about it all the time. While I understand where he is coming from to an extent, I informed him it would be an easy habit to develop (formatting, etc.). I also threw out the "don't use it if it's such a big deal to you" argument but he has been willing to go along. Glad to know there is a password protect in case push comes to shove. Ahhh, one of many trials and tribulations of living with roommates
(Thank you DC for being such an expensive place to live, I need roommates, lol)

I like the idea of the timer each night. I did play with this feature while using the Break In DVD. Joemama - I'll have to look into the auto shut off feature...I seem to recall this feature. The only reason I have not activated it is because I no longer see the "no signal" display as when I first set the TV up. So, I had just assumed the TV was receiving a signal of some sort and thus would be useless.

Anyway, it seems like leaving the TV on with no signal from the DVR is simply a power issue. Since the roommate who has beef with the TV is also a "Bills Nazi" (he hates when people leave lights on), I'll just tell him leaving the TV on wastes 100 times more energy then leaving a light bulb on and I'm sure he'll comply...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccatfan /forum/post/15436414

Thanks for the info, Randy. I'm glad to hear leaving it on with no signal won't hurt it. Do you know why it is different then the normal black bars while watching TV? Just curious.

The main issue is uneven aging of the phophers in the panel. With black bars, those pixels aren't being used while the rest of the screen is. Eventually, the section where the black bars are normally would look brighter than the rest of the screen with full screen material.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/15435537

I have last years Panny and it automatically shuts down when it detects no signal to the input for a set amount of time. Is that feature not on the 08's?

Many cable boxes always output a signal, even when "off." It's just a pure black signal.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccatfan /forum/post/15436414

I've informed the roommates of the funky rules of the TV and, for the most part, they have been compliant. After confronting one of the roommates about leaving a static image, he expressed his frustration to me about having to worry about it all the time. While I understand where he is coming from to an extent, I informed him it would be an easy habit to develop (formatting, etc.). I also threw out the "don't use it if it's such a big deal to you" argument but he has been willing to go along. Glad to know there is a password protect in case push comes to shove. Ahhh, one of many trials and tribulations of living with roommates
(Thank you DC for being such an expensive place to live, I need roommates, lol)

I like the idea of the timer each night. I did play with this feature while using the Break In DVD. Joemama - I'll have to look into the auto shut off feature...I seem to recall this feature. The only reason I have not activated it is because I no longer see the "no signal" display as when I first set the TV up. So, I had just assumed the TV was receiving a signal of some sort and thus would be useless.

Anyway, it seems like leaving the TV on with no signal from the DVR is simply a power issue. Since the roommate who has beef with the TV is also a "Bills Nazi" (he hates when people leave lights on), I'll just tell him leaving the TV on wastes 100 times more energy then leaving a light bulb on and I'm sure he'll comply...

I really wouldn't worry THAT much about what your roommates do with the TV. They are much more resilient than people give them credit for. I have a friend with an LG plasma that is on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. He's too busy to turn it off, I guess. LGs are much, much more prone to image retention than Panasonics and it's still not an issue.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

Panasonic Plasma - Leaving TV On Overnight Accidentally = BAD?

Not really, provided the panel is displaying full screen content. I leave my 50PX50U on overnight all the time, or until my wife yells at me to turn it off!

BTW... you can also use the sleep timer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Agree with both posts above, don't stress about it too much. Watch what you want, most owners (and there are lots out there) of your set do. Basic precautions are always good, but beyond a comment about not pausing things for days, I don't think you have to say much to them.

As randy said mixing up your viewing habits and ensuring regular full screen viewing is happening often is good for your panel, but in most cases this is the natural thing anyway, especially if you watch TV content and not just movies.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Quote:

I'm worried that my roommates won't take care of the tv like I do...so I would appreciate any tips, advice, or consolations regarding this issue. Maybe it's not a big deal. (I know, I know...if I was concerned about these things, I should have bought a LCD, but I wanted the best!) I have already set the DVR to 'grey bars' in case they forget to format the screen.

BTW, the TH-46PZ85U is a GREAT tv! I researched it for months before I bought it and I was not let down.

Toggle through your cable/DVR box's menu and have it set to control the power up and down of your TV as well as your box, that how I have my TV set up. Then when they turn off the cable box, the cable box will also turn of the TV at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15444463

Toggle through your cable/DVR box's menu and have it set to control the power up and down of your TV as well as your box, that how I have my TV set up. Then when they turn off the cable box, the cable box will also turn of the TV at the same time.

That's is a great idea, although I can't seem to find that option on the Explorer 8300HD (Scientific Atlanta). Is there not an option on the Panasonic remote for ALL ON/OFF like the DVR remote? That may be my only beef with the TV. Maybe I can upgrade the remote.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/15442811

Not really, provided the panel is displaying full screen content. I leave my 50PX50U on overnight all the time, or until my wife yells at me to turn it off!

BTW... you can also use the sleep timer.

It was a blank input black screen due to no power to any sources.

No problem.

dccatfan......The Panny's have a timer AND a feature to have it Auto Shut-Off with no signal.(read your manual and then find them in the user menu on the pdp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15442581

Many cable boxes always output a signal, even when "off." It's just a pure black signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15448234

dccatfan......The Panny's have a timer AND a feature to have it Auto Shut-Off with no signal.(read your manual and then find them in the user menu on the pdp.

Chrisherbert is correct - my cable box must put out a signal when it is off because the Auto Shut Off feature does not work when the cable box is plugged in. I unplugged the cable box, and the TV Auto Shuts Off after 10 minutes with no signal. Interesting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked Panasonic's Conceirge Service via Chat whether or not accidentally leaving the screen ON is bad for the television or not. Here's what the rep had to say:

Thank you for contacting Panasonic Viera Concierge. You will be connected to an Expert momentarily.

We apologize for any inconvenience, all Viera Concierge Experts are currently assisting other members.

Please remain on hold for the next available Expert. Our current wait time is'2' minute(s) and '53' seconds

You are now chatting with 'Travis', your Panasonic Viera Expert.

Travis: Thank you for contacting Panasonic Viera Concierge. How may I help you today?
Dane: My new TV gets left ON overnight on occasion showing a black (blank) screen. Is this bad for the television (i.e.

burn-in, image retention, life of tv)? It happens when my roommates turn off the cable box but forget to shut off the tv.

The Auto Shut Off feature doesn't work because apparently the cable box puts out a faint signal, even when it is off.
Dane: Hi
Travis: the tv shouldn't be left on like that over night with a black screen, you definately need to get them to turn the

tv off
Dane: What could happen?
Travis: you could get a burn in issue

Travis
: the picture would become dark after a while
Dane: The Panasonic remote doesn't have an ALL ON/OFF button, so I could see how they could forget.
Travis: every panasonic remote has a on / off button
Dane: Is there a better way to ensure the TV gets shut off rather than relying on them to turn it off.
Dane: but not an ALL on/off (when you power on/off, all components turn off - cable box, tv, dvd, etc.)
Travis: walk up to the tv and turn the tv off
Travis: try that instead of turning the cable box off
Dane: yeah but that won't happen
Travis: well they are going to possibly assit in runing your tv if they dont
Dane: that's crazy, if it were that important, there should be an ALL OFF button on the remote...at the least.
Dane: thanks
Travis: there is
Travis: you must not have a pansonic remote
Dane: NO THERE IS NOT...if there is, I got the wrong remote

Dane: sure looks like one, it came with the new tv, it says panasonic, and it looks identical to the one in the manual
Travis: and you have this model TH-46PZ85U ?
Dane: the only way to turn off all the components, is by manually pressing the TV button, then press power, manually

pressing the Cable button, then press power, etc...
Dane: yes
Travis: there is a BIG BUTTON at the top left that says POWER
Travis: do you have your owners manual ?
Dane: yes, and that turns off only the component that you have selected
Dane: in which case is the Cable Box, 90% of the time
Dane: so when you press POWER (the BIG BUTTON), it turns off the Cable only, not the TV
Dane: comprendede?
Travis: how will the remote know that you want to turn off the tv if you dont tell it what to do
Travis: you have to put it in a tv mode
Dane: i guess my cable box remote (Scientific Atlanta) is smarter because it has an ALL ON/OFF button
Dane: So when you press POWER, it shuts off all the components
Dane: I'm suprised you've never heard of that
Travis: only the device that its being asked to control at the time
Dane: that technology has been around for a long time
Travis: I have but its only a matter of pressing two more buttons to turn the tv off
Travis: again, why not just walk up to the tv and turn it off if its such a problem
Dane: it's not practical, especially since you could ruin your tv for forgetting something so simple (and when the cable

box goes off, it looks like the TV is off)
Travis: does the red light remain on ?
Dane: yeah, but guess what?
Dane: you don't look at the bottom right hand of the frame of the tv when you turn off the tv
Travis: ?
Travis: well sir, I have told everything I know to help you resolve this issue, its up to you to enforce it
Dane: most people don't notice a little red light, especially if they aren't worrying about it all the time
Dane: You forgot to tell me there is a TIMER I could program to shut the TV off every night
Travis: when you pay over a 1000 bucks for a tv you do
Travis: I would have thought that it had a timer
Travis: who's to say that someone will remember to set the timer every night
Dane: Travis buddy, I wish this conceige service was a little more proffesional and a little more helpful. I can't say you

really act like you were concerned or that you care. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccatfan /forum/post/15470902

I asked Panasonic's Conceirge Service via Chat whether or not accidentally leaving the screen ON is bad for the television or not. Here's what the rep had to say:

Thank you for contacting Panasonic Viera Concierge. You will be connected to an Expert momentarily.

We apologize for any inconvenience, all Viera Concierge Experts are currently assisting other members.

Please remain on hold for the next available Expert. Our current wait time is'2' minute(s) and '53' seconds

You are now chatting with 'Travis', your Panasonic Viera Expert.

Travis: Thank you for contacting Panasonic Viera Concierge. How may I help you today?
Dane: My new TV gets left ON overnight on occasion showing a black (blank) screen. Is this bad for the television (i.e.

burn-in, image retention, life of tv)? It happens when my roommates turn off the cable box but forget to shut off the tv.

The Auto Shut Off feature doesn't work because apparently the cable box puts out a faint signal, even when it is off.
Dane: Hi
Travis: the tv shouldn't be left on like that over night with a black screen, you definately need to get them to turn the

tv off
Dane: What could happen?
Travis: you could get a burn in issue

Travis
: the picture would become dark after a while
Dane: The Panasonic remote doesn't have an ALL ON/OFF button, so I could see how they could forget.
Travis: every panasonic remote has a on / off button
Dane: Is there a better way to ensure the TV gets shut off rather than relying on them to turn it off.
Dane: but not an ALL on/off (when you power on/off, all components turn off - cable box, tv, dvd, etc.)
Travis: walk up to the tv and turn the tv off
Travis: try that instead of turning the cable box off
Dane: yeah but that won't happen
Travis: well they are going to possibly assit in runing your tv if they dont
Dane: that's crazy, if it were that important, there should be an ALL OFF button on the remote...at the least.
Dane: thanks
Travis: there is
Travis: you must not have a pansonic remote
Dane: NO THERE IS NOT...if there is, I got the wrong remote

Dane: sure looks like one, it came with the new tv, it says panasonic, and it looks identical to the one in the manual
Travis: and you have this model TH-46PZ85U ?
Dane: the only way to turn off all the components, is by manually pressing the TV button, then press power, manually

pressing the Cable button, then press power, etc...
Dane: yes
Travis: there is a BIG BUTTON at the top left that says POWER
Travis: do you have your owners manual ?
Dane: yes, and that turns off only the component that you have selected
Dane: in which case is the Cable Box, 90% of the time
Dane: so when you press POWER (the BIG BUTTON), it turns off the Cable only, not the TV
Dane: comprendede?
Travis: how will the remote know that you want to turn off the tv if you dont tell it what to do
Travis: you have to put it in a tv mode
Dane: i guess my cable box remote (Scientific Atlanta) is smarter because it has an ALL ON/OFF button
Dane: So when you press POWER, it shuts off all the components
Dane: I'm suprised you've never heard of that
Travis: only the device that its being asked to control at the time
Dane: that technology has been around for a long time
Travis: I have but its only a matter of pressing two more buttons to turn the tv off
Travis: again, why not just walk up to the tv and turn it off if its such a problem
Dane: it's not practical, especially since you could ruin your tv for forgetting something so simple (and when the cable

box goes off, it looks like the TV is off)
Travis: does the red light remain on ?
Dane: yeah, but guess what?
Dane: you don't look at the bottom right hand of the frame of the tv when you turn off the tv
Travis: ?
Travis: well sir, I have told everything I know to help you resolve this issue, its up to you to enforce it
Dane: most people don't notice a little red light, especially if they aren't worrying about it all the time
Dane: You forgot to tell me there is a TIMER I could program to shut the TV off every night
Travis: when you pay over a 1000 bucks for a tv you do
Travis: I would have thought that it had a timer
Travis: who's to say that someone will remember to set the timer every night
Dane: Travis buddy, I wish this conceige service was a little more proffesional and a little more helpful. I can't say you

really act like you were concerned or that you care. Best of luck to you.

wtf????

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I've seen some weird things in my days here, but this has to be one of the weirdest. Getting into an argument with a Panasonic rep over your roommates leaving your tv on and .how to turn off the tv? You see that big red button on the top of the remote that says power? That's how you turn off the tv. The Panasonic remote can't control the cable box it's not a universal remote. If you want to use the cable box remote to turn off the tv you are going to have to program it. You might want to hit up the Scientific Atlanta online chat for that one.
Leaving the tv on isn't going to damage your tv, you are just wasting electricity by leaving it on and having no signal go to it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
....is this how Panasonic treats their customers?
one word......WOW!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.