AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to put this so I am putting it here. I just purchased a 42' Panasonic plasma. I am bringing it to my apt up in college, which is not in the safest area. Needless to say I have been robbed once.

I cant mount the tv, so i need another option to lock the tv to prevent theft. It will be on a desk, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what to buy to prevent it from being stolen.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Leave it home or get renter's insurance.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hidden camera and armed bodyguards just in case to make sure .

·
Registered
544 Posts
My 24" PC LCD Monitor has a place to mount one of them Cable type locks you use for Laptops, it also has a software Theft Deterrence if it's removed from my PC. After so many seconds It kicks on and asks for the Pin, and after so many seconds it goes into theft mode. I'm not all sure what happens after, but I did it once at and first it went into Black & White mode.

Since I'm pretty sure you have neither, I'd get Renters Insurance!!! Make sure you have a Inventory and Serial Numbers, and Pictures would be nice of everything. Even if you had your Plasma Locked down, that just may piss off anyone trying to rob you and smash it for the hell of it if they can't take it. Get some better Security if you can, and most important of all, DON'T ADVERTISE to people you happen to have a Plasma at your place. Things like that tend to get around and into the wrong ears.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Renters insurance. Take pictures and put all the documentation in a safe place. Is there any way to hide it?

Maybe you can put a large bookcase in front of it when you aren't watching it. 42" is a bit large, but maybe make it inconvenient for the thief to take it. A bookcase in front of it would also deter someone from smashing the front panel just for fun. Deter, not prevent.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Leave it home, find a different place to live or get insurance as has been suggested. You should have some anyway. If someone really wants it they will have it no matter what "safety" device you use.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If someone wants in to your place, they'll get in, and if they want your TV bad enough they'll get it. Your best option is to move to a safer area, but if that's out of the question...

Get renter's insurance (it's a lot cheaper than you think).

Make a video inventory of all your valuables.

Store the video online (somewhere with permanent storage like your own webspace or gmail) so you can always get to it even if your computer/camera is stolen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, these "leave it home" people are insane. You bought it to watch it, not store it.

I safeguarded the 42" DLP I had at college with one of these:

Belkin Bulldog Universal Security Kit with Heavy Duty Lock and 6FT Cable

It's available at Amazon for $22 right now. Just search for it.

You use a superstrong glue to affix a metal plate to the back of the TV. Then you run a heavy-duty cable through it and tie the cable around something permanent in the dorm room.

Even if you can't find something "permanent" to wrap the cable around, a TV stand or something would work, too. If they have to take the TV and the stand, they'll move on to another job.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrao2004 /forum/post/16975729

If you tie/lock it up, they will trash it.

The lock I mentioned above is the best option. I'm of the mind that a "trashed" TV is better than no TV...

Two reasons:
  1. You have proof that the item existed in the first place, for insurance reasons.
  2. You have the satisfaction of knowing that the thieves don't have your precious TV. What's better? A non-working TV in your possession or a working TV in a criminal's possession?

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Watch "It Takes a Thief" on Discovery as demonstrated on that show, it is real easy to steal a HDTV (they walked out with a 50 inch plasma no problem) and odds are if you do secure it well enough, the average thief will probably break it out of frustration just so you can't have it either. (again stated by the former thieves that are the stars of this show)

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/it...kesathief.html

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/16975816

Watch "It Takes a Thief" on Discovery as demonstrated on that show, it is real easy to steal a HDTV (they walked out with a 50 inch plasma no problem) and odds are if you do secure it well enough, the average thief will probably break it out of frustration just so you can't have it either. (again stated by the former thieves that are the stars of this show)

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/it...kesathief.html

True. You're keeping the petty criminals honest by buying a lock, but nothing will prevent the TV star-quality criminals Discovery highlights.

But as for them breaking it... I'll ask again: Broken TV that's still yours or working TV that's now theirs?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Never leave your room, that's all. And if you are worried someone will break in while you are sleeping to steal it, buy a gun. Just don't shoot your TV.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I learned the hard way that expensive electronics have no place in a college dorm or even apartment. I'm not even talking about theft...drunken shenanigans can be just as bad.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd /forum/post/16971820

I'm not sure where to put this so I am putting it here. I just purchased a 42' Panasonic plasma. I am bringing it to my apt up in college, which is not in the safest area. Needless to say I have been robbed once.

I cant mount the tv, so i need another option to lock the tv to prevent theft. It will be on a desk, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what to buy to prevent it from being stolen.

Thanks,

Chris

I'd say leave the plasma at home.

You'd be surprised what you can get a nice 30-34" Sony or Panasonic CRT HDTV for on Craigslist. They're damn near bulletproof (taking into account those drunken shenanigans) and the value per pound makes them pretty much invisible to thieves.

Also, picture quality, apart from geometry, is comparable to a decent plasma.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts