Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob at work here,

I just purchased a new Panasonic Plasma Pt-42PD3P, and I need a new Progressive Scan DVD player any suggestion on a good one? I have the following units for my Home Theater.

Panasonic Pt-42PD3P

Pioneer VSX-D850S Receiver

Pioneer DV-C503 5-dics player (Ill use this for my cd player now)

Polk Rm 7600 System

Polk PSW 650 Dual 10's sub

I was looking at the Panasonic Dvd-RP91K (black model) is this one good

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just bought the commercial version of the same display and have been on the same hunt. I tried to keep the DVD player under $300.

First try: Denon DVD-900. The build quality was poor. Picture quality was good though. No discrete power commands.

Second try: Philips DVD-Q50. Build quality is excellent, but sometimes it freezes during playback. I'm going to try upgrading the firmware tonight and watching another movie to see if that solves it. No discrete power codes still. I like that there is an easy region hack for it.

Third try: Yesterday I picked up a Panasonic RX30 from Sharper Image (Moderator: I'm only mentioning the name of the store because these are really hard to find). I really dislike the way this one looks and the build quality is not up to par with the DVD-Q50 (the door feels very flimsy). You can't dim the LCD backlight. Picture quality from initial tests is very good. It has discrete power commands. Buttons are on top, so it doesn't stack as nicely as most components.

The first two options are about $300, the last one is about $200. The Denon 1600 should have about the same picture quality as the RX30 with better build quality and a more traditional design.

If you can wait a while the Mitsubishi DD-8040 looks like it will be an interesting player to consider. They are coming out in July.

The RP91K seems to be a well built player but uses a lower quality deinterlacer chipset than the RP82, XP30 and XP50 Panasonic players.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi is a good resource.

alex

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I will say here that my experience with the Denon 1600 was not good - in that to MY eyes, the image was "grainy" and looked so sharp as to seem like everyone was "cutout" in the picture. It seemed too much like a novelty image to me, so I sold it.

Dont get me wrong, it was a NICE player, but just did not have the PQ I liked.

It seems there is a "digital PQ camp" and a "film-like PQ camp" here and especially on the DVD hardware forum.

I have also used the Toshibas (good sharp and smooth PQ and nice handling of non-anamorphic discs) and the JVC line (better than Toshiba for PQ but freezes on playback sometimes)

My advice would be to proceed with caution - finding the "right" DVD player seems like a literal impossibility the more you read about them. If you ask on this forum you are likely to get nothing but people telling you to get a Panasonic player that is already discontinued.

For what its worth, I wil be picking up a Harman Kardon DVD-25 here soon to demo. Reviews of it are hard to come by, but all of them I have found give it rave reviews.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The Panny CP-72 is the changer version of the fabled RP-82 and produces a GREAT picture. Like the RP-82 and the XP-30 and the XP-50 (which all had similar PQ) it was discontinued this year, but quite a few of them are still rattling around in the distribution channel for $200-$230.

Another possibility is the guys who sell DVD decks modified to be region-free and macrovision-free. Last time I looked, they still had a lot of these desirable Panny models in stock, tho the price for a modded deck is about $150 more than street for the stock unit, and you won't have any warantee protection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im looking into the Panasonic model #DVD-RP91K and the DVD-RP82 I found some on ebay cheap I am bidding on. Thanks for all the reply's guys, its very hard beeing a NOOB at work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
the xp-30 is still available.

look for a silver panasonic dvd player on sharperimage.com

the price is decent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Similar situation here. I'm going to pick up the Panny 37" by the end of the month. And I'm pairing it with the Panny RP62K from Amazon.com. Hope it'll be a good combination.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Yesterday I picked up a Panasonic RX30 from Sharper Image (Moderator: I'm only mentioning the name of the store because these are really hard to find). I really dislike the way this one looks and the build quality is not up to par with the DVD-Q50 (the door feels very flimsy). You can't dim the LCD backlight.
The XP-30's backlight can be dimmed. If I'm not mistaken it's on page 19 of the user guide. Do a search on this forum and you can find out what page for sure.

You have 3 choices as far as the backlight is concerned

1)On all the time

2)Off all the time

3)Auto, which turns it on for about 10 or 15 seconds every time you send a command to the unit. Then the backlight shuts off automatically.

I love this player, although the display is small and hard to read. That would be my only complaint, but you can use the on screen displays. PQ is great and so is audio.

Chaz

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
For what it's worth:

I have the RP-91 DVD player and absolutely love it. I brought home the much coveted RP-82 and found, on my Panny, that the RP-91 actually had the sharper, more appealing picture. Also, the picture controls offered by the Panny RP-91 are wonderful and I wouldn't do without them. For instance, it provides aspect ratio scaling control for progressive scan signals - other players lock progressive scan pictures - and it's sharpness control is better, more natural than my plasma's sharpness control.

Not only that, there are heavy rumors that Panasonic is getting out of the higher-end DVD player game, moving toward a "commodity" mindset....cheaper players with fewer picture controls....so I'm glad I got the RP-91 now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Morgan,

I have the RP62K (new, and with the Sage chip) paired with my now two month old 42 Panny ED (Th-42pw5uz) and it's awesome. You won't be disappointed. Alhtough the remote buttons are a bit small

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just took delivery of a Panny 42" today. It will be mated with a Panny XP-30. The Akai is going back to the "Warehouse " store for a refund.

I'll post the results tonight. :cool:

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I just got the panny s35k for under $100. It replaced a panny dvd-a120u. The PQ is better than before and as I already have a DTS decoder in my receiver I did not need one in the player. Saved a couple bucks there.

Have you thought of, instead of getting a new progressive player, picking up an external scaler??? For example the AVT-3700 which will upconvert all your 480i sources (cable/sat/dvd) to progressive and then send them to the panny through either the pc connection or through component.

I thought that the PQ difference would not be that much different with a progressive player as the panny converts everything to progressive anyway being an ED 480P display?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.