AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK well I'm thinking of getting a Panasonic Plasma but i have a few questions:

1. Should I wait for the 2009 models to come out? When are they coming out and how much will the 42" models cost?

2. How big a deal is Burn in really? I game every day with static images for probably about 3-5 hours.

3. How are the whites?

4. Is there really a green phosper trail when playing games?

5. How bad is input Lag?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
1. That is entirely up to you. You will get better deals on the 11G Panasonic rather than the new releases of the 12G Panasonic's. Pricing has not been determined yet on the 12G's.

2. You will see image retention and not burn-in. Think of burn-in as a cut that will leave a scar, while image retention is a scratch that heals. Burn-in is a non issue with today's plasmas. Roughly 4-5 years back burn-in was an issue. You should not have an issue with static images for long periods on a plasma.

3. Whites will be improved on the 12G's over the 11G's.

4. Green phosphor trail is seen more on gaming or fast action scenes. I am not sure if this has been eliminated on the 12G's.

5. I am not sure what you mean by this. I assume motion or motion blur. Plasmas are much better than LCDs on motion. The current 11G's use a 480Hz sub-field drive, while the 12G's should be 600Hz sub field drive. This numbers means nothing. Its to indicate that it has good motion and its a number that they will use to fight off LCDs. Think of the sub field drive number as contrast ratio.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Well I have an '07 65pz750 so if they have improved all of these answers should apply.

2. Burn in is a non issue. I have on many occasions left a static screen up as I chat with a friend for on XBOX live for 8 hours. Never experienced a bit of burn in. I can also play games for hours on end with no issue.

3. The whites I will say are fine to me. If you want the best whites you may want to check out the top LCDs. I got my plasma because I like better blacks. I still have my 60" LCD but I don't primarily use it for gaming because it was hard to deal with dark scenes on the LCD.

4. I've never seen this green phosphor trail. I won't say it doesn't exist but I don't see it on my set on any source or any plasma I've seen in person.

5. I also don't experience any lag. I play GoW2 and H3 and would notice lag pretty quickly. Not apparent with Panasonic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/15591804

1. That is entirely up to you. You will get better deals on the 11G Panasonic rather than the new releases of the 12G Panasonic's. Pricing has not been determined yet on the 12G's.

2. You will see image retention and not burn-in. Think of burn-in as a cut that will leave a scar, while image retention is a scratch that heals. Burn-in is a non issue with today's plasmas. Roughly 4-5 years back burn-in was an issue. You should not have an issue with static images for long periods on a plasma.

3. Whites will be improved on the 12G's over the 11G's.

4. Green phosphor trail is seen more on gaming or fast action scenes. I am not sure if this has been eliminated on the 12G's.

5. I am not sure what you mean by this. I assume motion or motion blur. Plasmas are much better than LCDs on motion. The current 11G's use a 480Hz sub-field drive, while the 12G's should be 600Hz sub field drive. This numbers means nothing. Its to indicate that it has good motion and its a number that they will use to fight off LCDs. Think of sub field drive as contrast ratio.

Chris

Thanks for the info.. Also i meant is there any game input lag, you know, while playing games?

Also i forgot to ask about glare. Is this an issure? Will it be better on the 2009 plasmas?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelearth /forum/post/15591825

Thanks for the info.. Also i meant is there any game input lag, you know, while playing games?

Also i forgot to ask about glare. Is this an issure? Will it be better on the 2009 plasmas?

No problem. I see. Input lag is not an issue.

Glare has gotten better, but will still reflect due to the glass. Better yet, Samsung LCDs have slightly more glare than plasmas because of the coating that they use to protect the LCDs. The Panasonic PX77/PZ77 had the best attempt at yielding better results with their anti-glare screen, but the picture quality suffered somewhat. To answer your question, it may bother you during the day, based on the type of light/reflection within the room, but at night it will be a non-issue. You will learn to tolerate the glare over time during the day. CRT's are much worse than plasma at glare.

Chris

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I think i will buy a Panasonic Plasma now. I had a 2008 LCD but the blacks were horrible and i couldnt stand it so i sold it.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts