AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am new to this site, but it looks like there are a lot of really helpful and informed people on here. If anyone could please help me with this issue, I would be eternally grateful:

I recently purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma 1080P S2. We are currently in the "breaking in" stage, where we lower the brightness/contrast/sharpness.

The problem is that the picture does not look very good. The high definition looks good, but the clarity or smoothness of the picture does not. I would describe the look as rough, pixelated, or grainy. This is most noticeable to me when looking at solid colors. It is not catastrophically bad, but it is fairly noticeable. Also, I have not noticed it on any TVs (LCD or Plasma) I looked at in the store, nor on any of my friends TVs.

At first I thought the picture settings may have been causing this, so I (briefly) turned up the brightness/sharpness settings but did not notice a change. I also played with the aspect ratio just to try, but to no avail.

Also, before this TV, we had brought home a 46" 750 series Samsung LCD. The picture on this TV looked great, but we returned it due to high input lag for the Xbox 360.

We had used the same HDMI cables for the Panasonic as we had for the Samsung, so it makes me think that they are not the issue.

Is this graininess issue a problem with the model itself, or a rare defect in a new TV? Does this go away after the TV gets broken in?

Thanks for reading this post. Any advice, comments, suggestions or information about this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks to all replies in advance.

- Mike in Pennsylvania

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sending an 1080P signal (FiOS) using HDMI cables. The graininess is more noticeable on actual TV but can still be noticed while playing the Xbox.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Could be the source. The picture will improve once you get it broken in.

Once you get it broken in, try searching AVS for a setting thread. If you can't find it for the S model, use the G or V10 sites. Just search V10 picture settings. I used that thread for my V10 and it made a huge difference in the picture quality.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Are you watchin 480i,720p, or 1080i TV channels over FIOS when you have grainy content on your 1080p TV? If 720p or 1080i channels are they broadcasting programs actualy filmed with "HD" cameras and not SD programs upscaled to "HD" resolution which causes grainess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts