AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a Panasonic 42 THPWD5. I currently have a Tivo connected to a Sky Box but reckon that the quality of the Image from the Tivo is going to be noticeably poor on the Plasma.

So.... should I buy a Sky Plus box or is there some other whizzy thing I can buy which will improve my Tivo Picture sufficiently.

(I am in the UK - no surprise. My Tivo is recording in High Quality as I don't have enough disk space at 'Best')

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Best will help... One "whizzy" device would be a hard-drive upgrade for your Tivo.

The Sky Plus might help, I'm across the pond, so not sure how great the picture quality is.

Otherwise, it's unlikely that a gizmo is going to matter much.

mark

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Colin II,

I *believe* the Sky+ box always records at the same bitrate at which it receives the signal (I think it's similar to DirecTiVo). So, essentially, it does not do recompression like the Tivo box (i.e., it's always on "Best").

Other than Rogo's suggestion of upgrading your harddrive (as you're in the UK, that might prove a bit more complex) - Sky+ might give you slightly better quality.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I haven't found the picture quality on my Series 2 TiVo and 42" Pannasonic plasma to be unacceptable as long as everything is set for BEST quality (which for me meant a hard drive upgrade), but viewing distance and your personal preferences and tolerances means YMMV.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got experience with both standalone tivo and Directivo.

If you want to stick with the standalone, you want to upgrade (if possible) your unit with another hard drive and record everything with "best". If now you can tell the difference between High and Best you will even much more once you get your plasma.

If you can afford the Sky+ (Directivo) then go for it and you'll also notice the difference. It's not a huge difference that you cannot live with but it's noticeable.

Plasmas will remark both a bad PQ and a good PQ coming from your satellite. Those ultra-compressed channels that Directv (in the US) is sending are just horrible (ok, ok, you can still watch them but boy, you can see the difference). I was watching a soccer game in Fox Sports World this week and it was just unwatchable, you had to be a really crazy soccer fan to stay and watch it (like me). (I have to say that not all the channels are bad all the time.) Premium channels are better, Pay-per-view are even better and HD channels are just stunning.

Cheers.

= J =

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Aren´t you worried about burn-in from all the Sky logos. Watchin Sky sports.. there´s always the bright white Sky Sports logo in the upper right hand corner and then there´s the awfull red dot interactive logo. Long hours of watching golf or boxing would have me worrying sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.