AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've used this forum many times I've never wrote anything as I found everything I was looking for. When I was buying my flat display, the posts here were a huge help in deciding whether to buy an LCD or a Plasma display and then which Plasma, make and model to buy.

So I bought a Panasonic TH42PZ80 in 2008. Few months back the TV started to show a 4cm wide vertical black stripe in the left corner of the picture. Warranty expired in 2010 and I couldn't even find the bill of purchase and warranty papers, must have gone lost somewhere. Anyway, I brought the TV to a Panasonic authorized service in my country (Slovenia) and got the diagnosis that the main circuit attached to the screen is faulty and that the replacement of the screen with circuitry costs more than an equivalent new plasma display. As I had no proof of purchase their policy didn't allowed them to ask Panasonic for exceptional warranty procedure.

So I contacted Panasonic on my own (Panasonic Marketing Europe, branch office Slovenia) and explained my problem. When the circuitry fails after three years on a product that is deemed to be in use for at least 10 years, then I see it as a producers fault although I also understand that these things happen, electronic devices malfunction etc. Nevertheless I trusted Panasonic to be a reliable producer with good and fair customer support and so I was asking them for support, being perfectly aware that the warranty for my product expired and that I had no evidence of purchase.

They answered that my case will be considered. Two days later the authorised service that diagnosed my TV requested all the data I had about TV (model, ser. nr., date and place of purchase etc.) and a day after I sent them all the data, they informed me that I can bring the faulty Panny to be replaced by an equivalent model from the current line (I was issued a TX42U30E).

Bottom line, I might had the ill-fortune of buying a faulty display that malfunctioned after the warranty period expired but I had luck that Panasonic takes their name and customer satisfaction seriously and that deserves all praise.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
And that is one big reason many here prefer Panny over Sammy (better customer service, IMO).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Something doesn't sound right here, coincidentally I also experienced the same issue on a 2.5 year old THZ-800 58 inch. I emailed Panasonic North America support and all they were will to do for me was to give me a $500 discount off retail on an ST55.

The display became defective after only 2.5 years. The authorized repair depot even said Panasonics displays have a high failure rate. Unfortunately Panasonic provides different support around the world. I would never buy another Panasonic product. Plasma displays are just too unreliable.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon240 /forum/post/20820972

Something doesn't sound right here, coincidentally I also experienced the same issue on a 2.5 year old THZ-800 58 inch. I emailed Panasonic North America support and all they were will to do for me was to give me a $500 discount off retail on an ST55. The display became defective after only 2.5 years.

The OP is in Slovenia and obviously things are much different over there - here in North America it's virtually unheard of for a manufacturer to replace a customer's TV when it fails after the warranty expires. However, Panasonic historically has discounted and even completely paid for repairs on Plasmas that were 2, 3, and even 4 months out of warranty. Many happy owners have posted their stories here. Not so with the Korean brands.

Quote:
The authorized repair depot even said Panasonics displays have a high failure rate. Unfortunately Panasonic provides different support around the world. I would never buy another Panasonic product. Plasma displays are just too unreliable.

Actually Panasonic Plasmas are the most reliable TV on the market. CR surveyed thousands of owners and Panasonic's reported failure rate was 2%, with the 2nd place brand being 4%. The TV installers i sell to say that the Panasonics are twice as reliable as the Korean brands. My friend's father is a career TV repairman and he also says the Panasonics have been the most reliable brand over the years, and that Panasonic is much more likely to give some consideration when the TV is not too far out of warranty.

You happened to be in the unlucky 2% for your Panny to fail so soon. It was nice of Panasonic to take $500 off a new TV, other manufacturers would have just said "Expired Warranty? Sorry, there's nothing we can do for you. Good Bye". I understand you're upset about this, but don't let your sour grapes get in the way of the facts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts