AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been lurking a bit the past week. Getting very interested in a plasma.

I have lurked for a couple years at the HDTV site, but recently had my Toshiba RPTV stolen, so am thinking of converting to plasma.

Anyway, with this forum and *******************.com's help I have found some favourites.

Don't think I can afford the Fujitsu because I want the wow factor of a 50 inch.

Decided that a Panasonic was my best option, but then learned it didn't have DVI and was once again back at the drawing board.

However, then l learned again that they have DVI video board.

What does this mean exactly?

Can I have DVI with an adaptor, if the movie studios win this battle for copy protection rights?

Or is the owner of a 50 inch plasma by Panasonic out of luck in a future DVI world?

·
Registered
573 Posts
wildman

Based on AVSforum posts and a press release that I did not keep the URL for, the current Panny plasmas do NOT have DVI but the new models scheduled to be released later this summer/fall will have a nice assortment of ports including HDCP compatible DVI. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Basically, you can get a DVI card for the current model to allow it to have DVI input. However, it's not HDCP compatible, if that's a concern to you. If it is, hold out for the new models this year.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Also don't count out the pioneer 503cmx (50") and the 433cmx (43"). The 433cmx was my holy grail of plasmas for everything but the blacks. Some find the blacks more then enough so go take a look at some local b&m stores at the pioneer elite models (same thing as above, just the fancy consumer version and like twice the price). If you can deal with the blacks it may be your best bet, and you cant beat the prices on these units.

Also has an upgradeable slot that has a couple dvi hdcp cards on he way. They usually come with the 5002 card that has dvi in (awesome picture quality, I think even better then the panny).

Good luck.

-Chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers guys, and as always, it leads to more questions.

I think I have changed my mind in countless hours of research from Marantz (salesman's pull) to Fujitsu (avs forums pull) , to Nec (*******************), to Panasonic (buyinguide.com again) to Fujitsu again (man, that plasma looks beautiful to see it in person) and I still haven't gotten the confusion sorted between what has a better picture - a 42 or 50.

Then there's the matter of this question I have:

RicBayer mentioned the new Panny's in the fall. I saw that thread and was interested in it. Quickly got confused of course.

Is it known yet whether the new Panasonics will all have tuners on board, and will the speakers be included, or as an extra.

I love the fact that plasmas are just a display device. I don't want a tuner. I get that from my BEV 6000. I don't want speakers. Does anyone who spends 15 thousand on a monitor use it as the home theatre sound too?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link.

Here's the problem I now have with the way Panasonic is going about this.

Everyone is hoping the plasma prices go down, but an obstacle is these add ons.

I don't need a tuner. I don't need the speakers built in. I don't want to pay for the speakers either.

It's a bad turn of events really. No one gets their audio from a plasma display. You would think Panasonic knows that.

Who's going to say "I want the best picture ever, but my audio can be a poor add on".

In my quest for the perfect plasma, I thought I might wait to check out these new Pannys. However, how sleek are they going to be with speakers on the side. Here's hoping they can be readily removed without hurting the look.

Just my thoughts and I'm a newbie in the plasma world, but it's a bad turn.

Rather see them drop a grand and just put HDCP in the new model.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Plasmatvbuyinguide is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

They bash Fujitsu because they can't sell it.

The Fujitsu 50" is the best 50", I feel, regardless of price.

Mark

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
IMHO, it all depends on what your main viewing will be. As ours is mostly SD Sat, right now, I chose the panny 42" EDTV as it has been, and I verified this, stated to have superior PQ when viewing this type of content also DVD's are said to look better (relatively little change between this set and an HD set with HD content when viewed from 8' + or -).

DVI-HDCP, again IMHO, is not going to be an issue. I am sure that DVI in and of itself will be better PQ than composite and even component as the material does not get converted, ie no digital to analog. HDCP will be in effect but that does not mean that you will not be able to watch CSI if you don't have it. It will be downressed to 480p, which is what the panny is anyway. HD itself is still years away from being the content delivery method of choice (how many even get ESPN-HD?).

It is anticipated in many places, here and else where, that plasmas will continue to decline in price points with many stating ~$2,000 in the fall for todays panny 37" ED. The pannys coming out in the fall did not hold any favor with me with the "improvements" that they are making. Pulled the trigger and am enjoying immensely.

·
Registered
219 Posts
not to bash Plasmatvbuyngguide.com, but...

they have a slight rail against NY based Plasma dealers. That turned me off a bit for a while, but I went with a NY dealer anyway. No probs in the long run....I was later informed that PTBG.com owns all the outfits that they recommend as suppliers. Can you say toot your own horn and dupe the public where possible? While their information is useful, don't rely on them for total sourcing info. Some NY based on-line dealers are like that too, but don't actively tout themselves a a reviewer and then (infer) pass off their subsidiaries as independent

·
Registered
794 Posts
The PQ of NTSC satellite material was the primary reason I decided to buy an ED Panny. That's because NTSC is ~80% of my wife's viewing and ~ 40% of mine. By the time that my wife's favorite channels and programs are HD I will likely buy another plasma with DVI/HDCP.

I must admit that I use composite for NTSC signal (and VGA for HD). I calibrated all Panny inputs with Avia and I tried all inputs for all types of sources. The composite gives me the most natural, artifact-free, analog-like picture at my viewing distance of 11 feet. VGA and component are both equally good for HD and, as expected, significantly better than composite or S-video. It must be the ED Panny because I know that other people use DVI, VGA, or component for NTSC. On my Panny any NTSC signal via VGA or component has this unnatural, digital character. However, it can be that this is what my Sammy TS-160 STB receiver sends to Panny over its VGA and component output set to 1080i.

Andrzej

·
Registered
3 Posts
A team of 6 tech support people at Panasonic's Commerical Plasma Group stated the DVI Option is only good for the EDTV units which are connected to a PC and want the extra 2045 shades of grey v. std 1024 shades.

The optional board is not something they recommend users buy separately because it's not like a PC card (uninstall the original and plug in the new DVI board).

The tech support team (888) 843-9788 says to wait for the next gen integrated DVI if it's important to you. The TY-42TM4D (current DVI option board) is viewed as a kluge with dubious technical merit and is very hard to install correctly.

That was enough to convince me to avoid the option and just enjoy the unit as is.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Such refreshing honesty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to clear one thing up.

I am not interested in DVI for its advantage as a connection cable.

I am only interested in that I don't want to get down rezzed.

Therefore, I am thinking of the 42 inch HD Panny, and want to be future proofed.

Some have said that they prefer the ED 42 Panny because of their viewing habits.

However, though I may watch a lot of SD Satellite now, I need to think of the future more. I certainly don't want to be back in the market in 3 years, so my optimal standard is HD from a BEV 6000 in today's world with a HDPVR921 tomorrow, and in the future HD DVD, so I want by 1024x768 for optimal performance in these areas.

I am basing this on most forum members here saying that the best picture is to feed your plasma its native resolution.

Feel free to help me if I have some flaws in my logic.

Also, is there a feeling from the Fujitsu fans that it also makes the hands down best 42 inch as well, or just the P50.

Interesting too to read about the *******************. I was basically using it as gospel in the past week. There aren't many other sources out there to inform one's self.

·
Registered
776 Posts
wildman -- I'm afraid I'm here to ask a question rather than answer one of yours :)

I too am in the market for a 50" plasma and have started looking around. I've only been able to find the Panny here in Montreal, but I've got to admit that I haven't really been trying too hard. Can you tell me where you've been looking at these plasmas (especially the Fujitsu)? Also, what pricing are you seeing out there? I find that local prices are significantly higher than down south (even taking exchange rate/duties into account).

If it's not too much trouble, you may want to PM me with the pricing info. For whatever reason, public posting of pricing info seems to be verbotten in this forum (although I'm not sure if this also applies to Canadian pricing).

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wildman, I hear you loud and clear.

When you move to HD, your plasma is going to convert and scale no matter what. Your plasma is designed to show 768 lines (if you have the HD version). Yet, almost all your HD signals will come in at 720 or 1080. Something is going to convert up or down no matter what happens. The technical debate about who makes better converters/transcoders/scalers, the TV maker or set top box is the debate.

The HD panny RGBHV/component and VGA inputs are supposed to preserve the native signal resolution (the extent 768 lines of plasma can handle it) so you shouldn't need a DVI to avoid downconverts. DVI is supposed to solve picture jitter and artifacts from EMF interference in "noisy" electrical environments. In theory, the picture should be more stable and thus "better".

BTW, a friend of mine works at Fujitsu and actually told me to get the panasonic or wait for the sony. The reasons are a bit too technical for me, but panasonic bought an engineering company which dominates plasma technologies for now. Sony is close behind and making their own glass which can make up for some other short-comings. This fujitsu employee would have saved me a lot of money and the differences in picture is "only obvious if someone points it out or teaches you to look for it."

Personally, if someone pointed it out (which my friend would), I knew it would bother me forever, so I went with the Panny. He says for those that have a digital pluge and other video test patterns, it would be obvious without anyone pointing it out. Fujitsu also is about a generation behind in transcoding technology so if you are set on a Fujitsu, wait for the new Fall 03 models (when Fujitsu is suppose to be on par with everyone else on this).

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would go to a store and look at the HDTV and EDTV 42" displays from your normal sitting position with a HDTV signal going into them. My couch is about 12' away from the display and at that distance I can't really see the extra resolution of the HDTV display. I realize that HDTV sources are going to be down-rezzed for my EDTV display but they still look great from my viewing distance.

If I was sitting 5' or 6' away from the display I'd probably want the HDTV unit.

alex

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just got my new panny TH42PHD5 all set up and running. We enjoyed the perfect color and fine picture details of HDTV via Comcast Motorola 5100 as well as DVD (progressive scan). The theorectical advantage of DVI-HDCP is not yet proven. Several threads in this forum see no significant improvement in PQ using equiments with that connecton. It is of interest that members have also posted excellent pictures of their DVD player/plasma using the lowly S-Video input when in theory it should be way inferior to component hook ups. The comcast cable box doesnt even support the DVI output yet. If you get a good price on a plasma now. buy it and start enjoying the big leap in PQ now rather then waiting forever for the leading edge.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well a bunch of us have posted previously on why this DVI board is broken. (Max DVI rez of 1024X768 - so no good for 50", loss of component inputs, no HDCP) so it is nice to see the honest confirmation from Panasonic engineers.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Plasmatvbuyinguide is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

They bash Fujitsu because they can't sell it.

The Fujitsu 50" is the best 50", I feel, regardless of price.

Mark
Mark --

You mean *******************.com is a reseller? LOL.

I can't tell you how many people call us up asking for specific models because ******************* said it was good. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.