AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

first post on these forums. Hopefully I'm not breaking the rule about not mentioning prices. If I am, delete this post, and I'm sorry.

Basically I want to buy a 50" + panasonic (g10 or v10), and I was wondering if there was any history to suggest the price might drop significantly by the end of the year. According to the 2008 black friday guide on bfads.net, there were no significant price drops last year in this category. Is it generally the trend that only lower-end TVs go on sale?

Many thanks for any wisdom, and again, I'm sorry if this is breaking the rules. I'm not asking for any specific offers, just educated speculation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the previous post. I just pulled the trigger on a 50' G15 after months of geeking out on the internet trying to decide which plasma to buy. Once I made the decision, I shopped around for a couple of days to get the best price and did it. I know damn well that a month from now it will be cheaper somewhere else. I watched the fluctuations last year between summer and Black Friday and beyond, but wasn't ready to buy yet. You will certainly save some money the longer you wait, but then when the price bottoms out on what you were looking at something new and better will be out. Pick your poison. Buy now and enjoy, or buy later for a little less and then regret that you didn't wait even LONGER for the next best thing.

I got the best deal I could, and now I will not even look at prices until I am ready to buy something else, hopefully a long time from now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubgob /forum/post/17020554

I watched the fluctuations last year between summer and Black Friday and beyond.

So returning to my original question: does that mean that prices go up and down throughout the year? Did you notice any patterns in particular, or just a slow downward trend every unspecified number of months?

I appreciate what you guys are saying. I know it's always that way with technology, but I also know that there are sometimes prime times of the year to buy something, when you get the best deal, and I was wondering if there was such a time for plasma TV's.

Obviously, when 2010 models come out, this year's will be cheaper. Do new TVs always come out during the summer? Is there any other time when manufacterers usually drop prices?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been eying Panasonic plasma prices mainly, but noticed the same trends with other brands of LCD's and plasmas. The prices zig-zag all year long. G10 prices were at a low about two months ago. You could get a 50" for close to 1200$, then the prices went back up to almost 1400. Now they are back closer to 1300. Watching all last year there was no rhyme or reason as to how prices fluctuated. There will be a few killer deals come Xmas time, but who knows on what models of TV. If you are not picky and you want to wait until December, you can probably save yourself 100-200 bucks on a random selection of sets, but if you are at all particular I would not gamble that the one you want will be cheaper. I really didn't notice a price shift between 2008 and 2009 Panasonics. The only thing certain is that over time they will all get cheaper, but short term you just don't know.

While the adage to decide what you want and then just get the best deal that you can when you are ready and don't look back may sound condescending, I found that it really is the best advice.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
You could expect 54"s in plasma to be hot items thus the shortage.

Panny is not stupid and I'm sure is busy ramping up 54" production now that 58"s are in stock and 65"s are lurking.

As to when it will be best to buy any particular model that is difficult to sniff out ... short of new model year runs showing up.

Stick with the Holiday pricing and you will likely never go wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody, especially slugbob for your detailed observations on the price fluctuations. I guess I'll probably just buy something in about a month, after saving up some money.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
simple.... buy last years model at huge savings.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm a tad disappointed that I didn't get in on the BluRay player rebate program (when purchased with a TV). Any guess as to whether it might return? And were the prices on the TVs that were part of the rebate program...were they higher when the rebate program was in force? The deal was, I think, two hundred bucks back if you bought a Panny BluRay player on the same invoice as a large Panny plasma...it ended Aug 15

·
Registered
272 Posts
Actually the next big decline, if the get any cheaper, will be about Thanksgiving. Though last year I remember for the 42" plasmas they got to about 800 anyway.. which they have reached this year ...

Take a look at http://www.pricespider.com/Plasma-TV...-p1940604.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rebate I got was $200 but it was only good on the HTIB systems, not the stand alone player. At least that is what the form I have says. It did end on August 15th, but who knows when and if they will revive it. I probably wouldn't have bought an HTIB, but I wanted a Blue Ray player and don't have a sound system at this time so with the rebate it is a no brainer. It will get the job done until I can piece together my dream system. $529 for a 7.1 Blue Ray sytem, minus a 200 dollar rebate? Hard to go wrong. I would have bought the TV anyways.

Oh, and I just looked at that price-spider link. How cool! And my observation on prices this summer for the g10 were right! It wasn't just my active imagination. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricelid /forum/post/17023636

Panabolic,

on the site that you linked to, there are some really drastic price drops. Do you know if those are for real?

for example,
http://www.pricespider.com/Plasma-TV...-p1940603.html

See where it goes down to $1000? Do you think that was just some bad data coming in, or do you think it was really on sale that much?

Thanks

Those 'stalactite' downward spikes intrigued me too - on further investigation it seems that they correspond to some of the 'fringe' retailers offering special deals for very limited time periods. [Where 'fringe' is code for an outfit with less than impeccable credentials]

I have seen some notable exceptions, but in the main, these lowball prices are from retailers that need to compensate for 'deficiencies' in other areas of their operation!

The 'median' price line is a much better indicator of the overall trend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, If I can get a steep discount on a TV that comes with a normal warranty from Panasonic, then I don't care if they don't have the best reputation.

Bring on the ridiculous price drops! (or probably I'll just buy something soon from somebody well-known)

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricelid /forum/post/17024415

Well, If I can get a steep discount on a TV that comes with a normal warranty from Panasonic, then I don't care if they don't have the best reputation.

Bring on the ridiculous price drops! (or probably I'll just buy something soon from somebody well-known)

That's what I did!

I actually emailed Panasonic to check if the retailer I was considering was an authorized dealer and they said that there was no such thing as a US list of authorized dealers!

As long as the unit has a valid warranty card then they would honor any aftersales issues - it was enough to convince me to buy a 42G15. I'm still grinnng!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally made up my mind and bought it. With Bing cashback (double this month), the Tc-p54v10 was at a price that I could mentally deal with.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts, and for sharing pricespider.com

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
How about Labor day for some sales?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good for you on getting the V10. I am sure you will enjoy it. I almost stepped up for the V10, but in the end figured I would be just as happy with a G15 and so far I have zero regrets. If the V10 has any better of a picture than the G, I am sure you will be ecstatic with your purchase, because the G is friggin' awesome. The whole "one sheet of glass" design is definitely nicer looking. Let us know how you like it!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury /forum/post/17022017

simple.... buy last years model at huge savings.

+1. Or buy open box/used if the discount is deep enough.

Last year I picked up a Mitsubishi WS65513 (2004 RPTV) for $100, 5yrs ago it sold new for $4K. No it's not the in/new thing but it fit the budget and once calibrated the picture looks as good as any flat screen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts