AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sears can't fix mine that broke over a month ago (3 service visits) and they won't replace it as they say it's now discontinued, I checked their website and it's not even listed anymore.

They're giving me a Hitachi v500 instead, I'm in two minds about it but I guess it's better than getting a GWIII. They're doing a straight swap which is nice as I was one of the people who paid a ridiculously low price for the Panny after they price matched it (around 2k).

·
Registered
19 Posts
This seems very odd. Everywhere else I've seen they still seem to be carrying the PT-50LC13.. it's still listed as a "new product" on Panasonic's website. I was wondering why they wouldn't have just given you a PT50LCX63, instead of a totally different TV.. but I see they don't even have that one listed on their website, either. Something seems fishy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I doubt very much that's it is discontinued. I've had mine on backorder since early December and when I called today, they once again said that the shipment is due next Tuesday, 2-2 and I should have mine within the week. This is the same story I've been hearing since they missed the first promise date, 12-16. I got a steal of a deal & yes, I'm learning to be patient.

Keep bugging them & take it up the corporate ladder. Good luck but Sears usually does good by their customers.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
I don't think 50LC13 is discontinued in anyway. That's just a typical salesman's excuse. They can only sell you stuff that they have or carry. Everything else is 'discontinued' to them. The newer LCX63 series has HDMI and integrated ATSC/QAM/CableCard turner that is $600 more. I doubt Panny will retire LC13 soon. Like many other hot Panny TVs (Plasma TVs), they are just in short supply instead of being discontinued. Of course, Sony's mishap with GWIII didn't help the supply of Panny a bit as many disgruntled GWIII owners eager to find alternatives.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat121
I don't think 50LC13 is discontinued in anyway. That's just a typical salesman's excuse. They can only sell you stuff that they have or carry. Everything else is 'discontinued' to them. The newer LCX63 series has HDMI and integrated ATSC/QAM/CableCard turner that is $600 more. I doubt Panny will retire LC13 soon. Like many other hot Panny TVs (Plasma TVs), they are just in short supply instead of being discontinued. Of course, Sony's mishap with GWIII didn't help the supply of Panny a bit as many disgruntled GWIII owners eager to find alternatives.
Ya, but Sears sold the Pan 50LC13 so it logically makes no sense that it is "a salesmans excuse". Why wouldn't he want to continue to sell th customer the same tv he was selling all along. It's because Sears can no longer get it, that's why. To the salesperson it appears they cannot get it because they must look to a person or a computer to order it from. Sears could have discontinued it but Panasonic may not have just yet. This can happen this time of year for good reason. It is inventory time for most retailers and this is the time of year where product availability can be very inconsistent for any retailer. Some retailers will shut off certain models even though that company has some available because a new model will be introduced very soon. Other times, a model may be sold out and more are not readily available so that retailer waits for the new one. I mean think about it, if the cost isn't going down and a new one is to be introduced very soon ( and the one you've been getting right along isn't readily available for quick sales ) does it make sense to buy any more? I wouldn't if I were the retailer because then you could be faced with sharp discounting on the soon to be discontinued model. Or, could it be that this retailer recently struck even a better deal with another brand/model of a tv with a similar or better MSRP? In other words there are lots of scenarios where a retailer may not offer a product any longer and to assume it is just a salesmans excuse isn't at all logical. Most salespeople work on commission and they want to sell you a product, not excuses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It also could be that Panasonic will make enough tv's for what retailers ordered by a certain date. In other words Sears may have ordered X amt. of tv's in December and Panasonic agrees to make enough tv's to fill this order but then they start to limit availablity soon after until the remaining stock/inventory is depleted. There are many scenarios and it doesn't mean the salesman is lying. To him it is discontinued because there company discontinued the item. You should call Panasonic directly and find out the scoop as to when they will be discontinuing there tv.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mitsuman
Ya, but Sears sold the Pan 50LC13 so it logically makes no sense that it is "a salesmans excuse". Why wouldn't he want to continue to sell the customer the same tv he was selling all along. It's because Sears can no longer get it, that's why.
Exactly.

I haven't even been dealing with sales people anyway. I've been dealing with the district manager and national CS.

Also, they're giving me a set that's worth more (to them) than one I paid for. Why do that if they could simply give me a straight swap for the same tv?

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Because for whatever reason Sears no longer carries this Panny TV. There are many reasons for a store to carry or not carry certain brands. Sears have two choices in this case (1) give your money back or (2) swap you another TV. It's no brainer that option 2 is a better choice than 1 because Sears may not be necessary losing money on Hitachi for the price you paid for the Panny. It's might even be the reason that they dropped 50LC13 because its profit margin is thinner than Hitachi or Sony, especially a lot of people bought them at such a low price in past summer. If I'm the corporate bean counter in Sears, I will drop Panny in a heart beat too.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arkid
Also, they're giving me a set that's worth more (to them) than one I paid for. Why do that if they could simply give me a straight swap for the same tv?
Do you want a computer friendly TV? The Panasonic has a native resolution of 1280x720 and an all digital path through DVI.

I don't think the Hitachi does. On the other hand, I like the Hitachi PQ and case better. :D

It's time for you to do some heavy Hitachi LCD thread reading.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
Do you want a computer friendly TV? The Panasonic has a native resolution of 1280x720 and an all digital path through DVI.

I thought about the HTPC but haven't got the money so i'm not too worried about that right now.

What's the Hitachi's native resolution?
Quote:

I don't think the Hitachi does. On the other hand, I like the Hitachi PQ and case better. :D

I've read about your opinions on the difference in PQ and trust your judgment, i've not really had chance personally to check the Hitachi out properly so i've no idea.

As far as the case goes... well, all that bright silver plastic makes it look like it's a Ronco and the huge size of it compared to the pedestal/flat panel look of the Panny, well there is no comparison, it's even silver round the back so it's nice and bright back there. :confused:
Quote:

It's time for you to do some heavy Hitachi DLP thread reading.
Please don't tell me they're sending me a Hitachi DLP!!!!

:p

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:

What's the Hitachi's native resolution?

It's similar to the GWIII resolution. Check the Hitachi LCD threads for details. :D

I've read about your opinions on the difference in PQ and trust your judgment...

I did some DVD scenes with the Hitachi but not the Panasonic. I've seen the Panasonic in better stores than the Hitachi so it's hard for me to be sure. I know I like the Panasonic better than the Philiips LCoS that I've seen it next to.

As far as the case goes... well, all that bright silver plastic makes it look like it's a Ronco and the huge size of it compared to the pedestal/flat panel look of the Panny, well there is no comparison, it's even silver round the back so it's nice and bright back there. :confused:

They both fail the "my wife" test but the pedestal look is a big killer around our house. Silver looks good with our living room -- even the back end. So far, no TV with side speakers has any chance at all -- ranks right up there with pedestals.

Please don't tell me they're sending me a Hitachi DLP!!!!

:p
Now that would be bad -- sorry if I frightened you! How about a new Panasonic DLP. It will have the HD2+ chip, a seven element color wheel, and the same case you have now. The case is another non-starter for me.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
I think the native resolution of Hitachi LCD is 720p but Hitachi scales everything to 1080p then scale down to its native resolution. Hitachi called it VirtualHD processing. It does produces a cleaner picture but you can't get 1:1 pixel mapping for HTPC.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
What about the digital path through DVI on the Hitachi? It seems a waste of time having a DVI input if it's not all digital.
The RCA DLP and the Sony GWIII ME sets aren't digital either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw Sears had the Panny LC5013 for a nice price on their website last week, so I went into my local store to see the display on Sunday. The sales rep told me that it was discontinued, and there was a new model coming.

Panasonic's website indicates the LC14 models will not be out until June. Checked today after reading this thread and Sears no longer has the LC13 on their site.

Ultimate and BB still have it on their respective websites

·
Registered
82 Posts
So the 13 is just being replaced with the 14 right? And from what I see the only main difference is the integrated HD tuner? If that's it, someone like me who has their own tuner shouldn't have to worry if they pick one of these up at a discounted price? Are there any other know differences between them? Are there any concerns I should have with buying one of these?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think the LC14 will have an integrated tuner, the LCX64 will (like the LCX63 does today). CableCARD ready might be the "big" improvement. That and another A/V input. Maybe HDMI instead of DVI.

Check out thread 289930 or 347639, they have some more info about the Panny PT-50LC13.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Arkid, how did it turn out? I ordered a panny 50 on the sears site two days ago for that closeout price, but apparently they didn't have enough stock. I'm now told the "substitutions" department will contact me to offer me a different set, and I'm guessing it'll be the Hitachi 50v500, so I'm interested in your thoughts at this point. And did they offer the Hitachi to you for the panny price you paid? That would be a sweet deal.

Also wondering if I can take my hardcopy receipt (for the set they don't have) and pricematch with a local retailer (like Tweeter) who may not know it's out of stock at Sears. If Tweeter can even get one, of course.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still waiting for the new set, it's supposed to be here on Tuesday. They offered to pay half the difference between the two sets and have me pay the other half but I told them no thanks, get me another Panny. They obviously couldn't do that so they eventually agreed to do a straight swap for the Hitachi. This is pretty good as i'm getting the Hitachi for about 1k less than listed. I do have to pay for the difference in the extended warranty as this is more for the Hitachi than the Panny.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.