AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this set for 2 weeks now & here is my impression.

The picture quality is neither bad nor exceptionally good. I see this faint vertical lines, right across the whole screen & its not SD effect. It can be seen with my pioneer elite dvd player while watching movies as well. Checked out other panny 50" LCD sets in stores and they all have the same faint lines. The panny rep came over to check & told me its the characteristics of the set & nothing can be done. I also have a few stuck pixels but there is no gaurantee the replacement will not have stuck pixels!!

Saw the RCA 50" DLP today playing next to the Sony 42" GWIII LCD and honestly the Sony was much better, both were fed the same dvd signal.

Tried adjusting the RCA, it did not help at all & the reflection on the RCA screen....bad!!

I am still going to look up the RCA at another location & let you guys know. The sony 42" GWIII in 2 other store looked great. Havent seen the Hitachi anywhere so cant comment. Everybody knows the samsung so i am not getting into that set.

So i am seriously considering the 50" GWIII, looking at the sony 42"GWIII perform & I might return the panny. I am also considering the panny 42" non HD consumer model plasma. I am not too happy with 42" size as i had a 47" panny rear proj CRT bfore. Size is the only reason i havent bought the plama yet.

There are other threads about the panny LCD but those threads seem to have turned into a price match discussion thread, which sucks. So all you panny LCD guys any new info or thoughts on the perf of this model. Also has anybody got into the service menu yet?

PS: Though I have Sony ES SACD player and like their ES range, I never buy sony TV's but their new GWIII LCD seems to be good.

Also THANKS to everybody on this site, for all the inputs which helps everyone make wise decisions!!!!hopefully

·
Registered
430 Posts
Never seen vertical lines, faint or otherwise. Sounds like the panny guy is talking out is @#*, I'd get a replacement.

·
Registered
845 Posts
They are there. It's not from the LCD, but from matte screen. Don't go looking for them. What you don't notice will not annoy you.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you've ever owned a Sony Trinitron tv or monitor you'd notice horizontal wires going across your screen.

Each manufacturer seems to have their quirks.

I wouldn't stress it. You will get used to it.

I haven't noticed any on my Panny BTW.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just received my Panny 50LC13 yesterday and only have had about 3 hours of viewing time but I must say I am pleased with the PQ so far. I won't get into my thoughts on its PQ (HD & non-HD) verse the set (Sammy HLN567W) I had exchanged out (after 2.5 weeks auditioning) until I get some more time in on it. Plus I have an important question to ask my fellow Panny 50LC13 owners that I find much more pressing at this time.

How loud is the fan noise on your set? Do you hear it when watching normal TV? For instance with my Pioneer 45tx receiver at -20db (or even a bit louder) I can distinctly hear the low pitch humm of the TV set. (Sitting 10 feet away) This is definitely annoying to me. Is this normal? Or could a bearing on a fan be bad? I am thinking of calling the local Panny repair guy and having him come out but wanted to see what other owners have experienced first. (I couldn't find any discussion of fan noise for this set in any other thread.)

Thanks in advance for any comments or help you might be able to give.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't hear the fan on my set at all, I even tried putting my ear against the set and I can barely hear it but I am in a room with pretty noisy equipment (HTPC, ReplayTV).

On another note, anybody started some serious tweaking to this set yet?

What about those who received the service manual? Any gems there to share?

I think an official PT50LC13 thread will be a good idea. I won't start it though cause I didnt tweak mine at all yet, not even with DVE or AVIA.

·
Registered
943 Posts
JohnnyVolcano,

Thanks for the information. I must have gotten a bad fan somewhere. Sitting 10 feet away it's a real annoying low pitch hum that is audible over normal TV volume. :(

I did spend an hour of my time with the set last night going through the basic and advanced video setup on the DVE disc. The color settings came in much tighter on this set compared to the Sammy 567W I had. It is also convenient to have the Horizontal / vertical adjustments in the user menu (compared to the service menu on the Sammy).

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can hear mine.

Initially I couldn't but it seems to have gotten a bit louder over the last week since I got my TV. It isn't too annoying though.

·
Registered
13,480 Posts
The fan noise level is not that bad. It denpends on the enviornmental noise. I can only hear it while watching TV at mid-night when every body else in the house have gone sleep.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Are you guys going to take back your panny's now that sony has released the new grand wega's and the consensus is that they are better at a comparable price?

·
Registered
170 Posts
DooDoo:

Can you get the 50" Sony for less than $2200? If so, please let me know where to make the swap before my 30 days are up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Dont get offended bebop. I was just wondering if you panny owners have taken a close look at the new GWIII's and had any buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm not offended, bro...I am quick to admit that one of the KEY factors in my decision to buy the Panasonic was price. At the price that I purchased the Panny, it was, for me, a no-brainer...other technologies that cost MATERIALLY more than the Panny (such as the Samsung DLP) were just NOT a significant enough improvement to justify the additional cost of the unit (even WITHOUT taking into account the Sammy's own issues). I have heard NO ONE talking about the new GWIII's for materially less than $3k - which is where it would have to be to justify the change in my mind - I'm NOT going to pay $800 or more extra for the GWIII.

So, again - what is the lowest price that you have heard for the GWIII?

Thanks.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I havent done much research on the price but I figured that discount prices would be similar for both sets since their MSRP's are very similar.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've had mine for over a month now and so far:

No stuck/dead pixels

No lines on the screen

no fan noise issues

I do see the screen door affect now and then But I have a feeling that will be minimal once I have it IFS calibrated. And I'm probably sitting to close anyway.

I agree with bebopdeluxe for the price I paid, its a no brainier.

And if you have a HTPC its an even easier choice.

Also this TV looks incredible with a HDTV feed. And I sure when comparing DLP or other LCD's with a HDTV feed you would not be able to justify the higher prices ($600. & up) for the other TVs.

Newmie

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why would the discount prices be similar? Sony is a brand that has nowhere NEAR the distribution over the internet that Panasonic has. Because the Panny can be widely had on-line for between $2200 and $2300, B&M retailers have to be more aggressive on pricing. Sony has ALWAYS carried a premium price tag at retail distribution versus a name like Panasonic. ALWAYS.

If you actually did the research, my guess would be that NO B&M retailer will be selling the 50" GWIII for MATERIALLY less than $3K. Why? They don't half to - the demand will be that strong. That is NOT to say that the Sony isn't a better unit than the Panny...it may very well be. But is it 30 to 35% better? That is what it would have to be to justify the price differential, in my eyes....and I doubt that it is that much better. Others may think it IS 30 to 35% better, and buy it. Some may conclude that it is only 10 to 15% better - but want to pay the premium for the Sony product anyway. And that's FINE with me! Everyone should buy what they want. That is what is great about the options we now have.

For me...I'll take the Panny - and the cost savings - ALL DAY LONG.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Let me chime in....

Grand Wega III, if you read their threads you will find people paying list or a hundred or so less. This puts this tv at a similiar price point to the DLP 50 that I looked at and had priced. With that in mind, why do we continually compare the DLP and and now the Wega III to the Panny and the Hitachi LCD. Seems to me we are comparing apples to oranges in terms of price. I suppose that is an honor to the Panny and Hitachi that people think enough of them to compare them to sets costing a grand more with tax. I just don't get it. Show me a thread where anyone is comparing the Panny and Hitachi to a set costing $1200 or $1300 which would be the reverse. I agree with Bebo on this completely. The price differential on these sets is material to me and was a major part of my decision making process.

·
Registered
980 Posts
bebop,

Only time will tell will tell what the discount on the sony will be. Most retailers dont have the 50" in stock yet. My question is: would you rather pay $2300 for mediocre performance or $2700 for very good performance. I personally wouldnt pay 2300 for something that didnt look very good

·
Registered
980 Posts
manpig,

I agree that the DLP is in another price range but the GW III are in the same price point.

·
Registered
170 Posts
DooDoo:

1) For the last time, PLEASE show me ONE place where the GWIII can be had for $2700. Do not throw out vapor-ware numbers. Give me PROOF of the price that you are throwing out.

2) It is YOUR opinion that the Panasonic is "mediocre" and the GWIII is "very good". So what are we saying - that, on a scale of 1 to 10, that the Panasonic is a 5 and the GW is an 8? Is that close? If that is what you are saying, then you are saying that the Sony IS 30 to 35% better in PQ and functionality. Is that true?

My read on this is more like the Panasonic is a 6 or 7 versus the Sony's 8 - more in line with a 10 to 15% better PQ...which would work out pretty well with the $400 difference between the two units that you state. My only problem with this is that I KNOW that I can get the Panasonic for between $2200 to $2300 RIGHT NOW, and there is NO WAY that YOU can buy the GWIII for $2700.

If you can, let me know where....please? A REAL purchase, not an "I think" or "I believe" purchase. A real website. A REAL B&M retailer. Just one.

Look - if you (and others) believe that the Sony is worth the additional scratch, GREAT! Buy it and be happy. But I don't believe that the Panasonic is a "5" to the Sony's "8" (and if you do, please detail exactly WHY there is such a material difference between the two sets) - the Sony may be a better set, but not enough to (in my mind) justify the REAL WORLD difference in price between the two.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.