AVS Forum banner

What is the best 50~ inch 720p TV for the money?

• The Panasonic PT-52LCX16b at Costco! $1,399 w/ stand

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • The Sony WESGA KDF50E2000 $1,699 @ Costco w/ stand

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Mystery LCD Projection TV (Tell me what one!) (Under $1,800)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • A specific Rear Projection DLP TV of your choice

Votes: 14 36.8%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking here for a little while in preparation for my planned purchase.

I currently have a Panasonic EDTV 42 Plasma, and I am looking to upgrade to a better HD set.

I went to Costco today and saw the PT-52LCX16b next to the 50 inch Sony WEGA LCD Projection TV and my GF and I spent quite some time comparing the two. To my astonishment, the ONLY difference I could see was that the vertical viewing angles were WORSE on the WEGA.

I didn't expect that. Especially given the fact that the Panasonic was $1,399 and the Sony was $1,699. Both come with an included stand.

Now, before I pull the trigger on the Panasonic, anything I should be aware of?

I plan on using this for movies (Normal DVD for now), and also some HD gaming (xbox 360, Wii, etc).

I would appreciate any helpful reviews or firsthand experiences anyone can share.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had the model right before the WEGA.... same TV basically though, It was a great 720p set.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Speaking of a Sammy DLP.. I've seen the Sammy 50" 1080P DLP for about the price of that Sony (5087W I believe).. I'd keep looking..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My girlfriend's family has the 46 inch Samsung DLP, and I must say I am not all that impressed. I also viewed other sizes of the same series TV at Circuit City, and they didn't do it for me either. Which sucks, because they are cheap!

I even watched one of the bigger units (Probably around 60 inches) with a Blu Ray player hooked up to it and it looked terrible! I saw all kinds of grains in the picture, and weird white fuzz. But to be fair, I almost think something was hooked up wrong or cheaply because it was just awful.

I'll look into them more though. Which model Samsung 1080p do you specifically suggest?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.