AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this new thread, but I've done a search about this and still don't really understand how the Panasonic PT-AE3000's "Lens Memory" function works.

Basically, with my current projector set-up, I am not using a screen at all, due to WAF reasons. I am looking to keep this set-up with the new 1080P projector I am looking to buy soon.

One reason why I'm considering the Panny over similar models from Mitsubishi and Epson is for this "Lens Memory" feature.

From what I understand, how the "Lens Memory" function works is that I will be able to zoom any content that is in the 2.35:1 ratio to a bigger size than it would be on a 16:9 screen?

For example, with my current project, a 16:9 image will "fill up" the entire display image. However, with any 2.35:1 content, there will be "black bars" on the top and bottom, and overall the image size is reduced.

With this "Lens Memory" function, will I be able to "zoom" the 2:35:1 image so that the height of the image would be the same as what a 16:9 image would normally be, but the width of the 2:35:1 image being wider?

Or was this "Lens Memory" function designed for people with 2:35:1 screens, and so that they can display 16:9 images without the top and bottom of the picture being cropped out due to the lack of screen?

Sorry if my question is unclear. Also, if anyone has any links to photos or video demonstrating how the "Lens Memory" function works, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/15583924

With this "Lens Memory" function, will I be able to "zoom" the 2:35:1 image so that the height of the image would be the same as what a 16:9 image would normally be, but the width of the 2:35:1 image being wider?

Yes, that is the general idea, but be aware that you still have the top & bottom black bars projected on your wall/ceiling, so they will be quite visable. With my 2.35:1 screen the lower black bar shines on the wall behind (below the screen) which is dark, so it doesn't 'shine'. The top bar lands on the screen's black top border and is hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/15583924

Or was this "Lens Memory" function designed for people with 2:35:1 screens, and so that they can display 16:9 images without the top and bottom of the picture being cropped out due to the lack of screen?

For 16:9 on a 2.35:1 you have to zoom back (smaller image) so that the taller 16:9 image will fit on the screen heightwise. This leaves 'side bars' but they are very dark as they are not produced by the projector like the top & bottom ones in a 2.35:1 film.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Lens Memory Makes Sense Only if You Use a Screen

If you aren't using a screen, you can expand and shrink the image at will without filling a screen since you have no screen to fill.

Those of us who want a Cinemascope 2.35 screen wish to fill the screen, and we want an easy way to return to this aspect ratio. And we also want an easy way to reduce the picture to fit within the same screen. AE3000's robotic lens control makes easy switching from 2.35 to 16x9 picture, or any aspect ratio you might need. Motorized zoom postion, motorized focus position, and vertical picture location program into non-volatile projector memory for easy re-call.

Projection on a wall doesn't require anything as fussy as robotic lens control. Just twist the ring one way to zoom a larger picture and twist the other way to return to 16x9 picture.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is this function a preset zoom to 2.35:1 or can you preset your own memory setting? I would consider if it provided that option.

I have a 2.05:1 screen which provides a larger image for 1.33:1 and 16:9 movies while still enlarging for 2.35:1 movies. Also, this ratio screen let me see subtitles for foreign movies that drop the subtitles into the black bar area.

Right now I manually zoom my Sanyo Z2000 and adjust the vertical height to position the picture in the right spot.

My first row is 9.3 feet away and my screen is 93.7" wide and 45.6" tall (104" diagonal) Second row is 14.5 feet away. My room is only 11 feet wide, so I have a limit on size. I would consider a larger screen (still 2.05:1 ratio), bumping up to 112" diagonal (100" wide and 49.1), but enlarging by only 7% and spending another $800 for the screen may be crazy? I have black curtains to mask the screen for non 2.35:1 movies.

I only zoom the lens for Blu-ray movies, DVDs are too soft in sharpness to enlarge.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S /forum/post/15584882

Yes, that is the general idea, but be aware that you still have the top & bottom black bars projected on your wall/ceiling, so they will be quite visable. With my 2.35:1 screen the lower black bar shines on the wall behind (below the screen) which is dark, so it doesn't 'shine'. The top bar lands on the screen's black top border and is hidden.

For 16:9 on a 2.35:1 you have to zoom back (smaller image) so that the taller 16:9 image will fit on the screen heightwise. This leaves 'side bars' but they are very dark as they are not produced by the projector like the top & bottom ones in a 2.35:1 film.

Thanks for the reply. So it seems the "Lens Memory" feature really doesn't have much significance if you're not using a screen. Basically, if I was to zoom the image to the largest possible screen size based on the throw distance, the 16:9 image will still be larger than the 2.35:1?

I guess the feature might still come in handy as I have on order some fairly tall speakers (B&W 802Ds), so if I max out the 16:9 image so as to not project onto my speakers, I can still "zoom" the 2.35:1 image at least wider, but keeping the same height as the 16:9 image.

Can you tell me how bright are the "black bars" for this projector? If I'm shooting against a wall, are they pretty noticeable?

·
Registered
201 Posts
AE3000 Allows You to Pre-set Your Settings

Projector's robotic lens control allows you to program your own settings. You might program a setting for 2.05 and - should you decide to change to 2.35 some day - change program to suit your new screen.

Assuming you have a drywall wall without window, door, or any other complicating obstruction, I would suggest rolling a single coat of Kils2 primer for $16/gal, followed by 2 coats of flat Behr Ultra Pure White for $19/gal. At modest cost and fun labor, you can have a wall-to-wall screen, the benefit of which is that it allows aspect ratio and size experimentation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Sir,

I have a plan to buy PT AE 3000 and Stewart Cinemascope with Studiotek 130 G3 133 inch (width 290 cm i forgot the tall) but i still have questions as follows:

1. Do you have any measurement (comment) that compared PT AE 3000 with memory lens function coampared with PT AE 3000 using real ISCO anamorphic lens ?

2. Am afraid about the quality when we do memory lens function especially at both side right and left is it the image will become blurrr ??? or still good focus ??

3. do you have a screen shot PA AE 3000 projected on an Cinemascope 1: 2,35 i really want to see its clarity ... if have mind if send to my email [email protected]

4. What do you think is my plan to buy Stewart Cinemascope Studiotek G3 is right invenstment ? while maybe in next 3 years i wlll upgrade my projector to better one with real ISCO anamorphic lens ?? my consideration now not to buy better projector because of most of my collection now is still DVD

Thanks for your attemtion

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts