AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an older xr-10x that has a lumen rating of 2000 ansi lumens. I've been looking at the market of hd projectors and it seems all that i find are projectors that are no where near as bright as mine, whats up with that? Are they really dimmer than my old hoopty projector?

I was looking at the Panasonic PT AE3000U which only has a rating of 1600 lumens. Its nearly 6 times what I paid for my projector..?????

Brandon

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
High lumens are needed when you are projecting in a lit room and you have Powerpoint presentations to show that don't need any real contrast.

HT projectors don't have the high lumens because they are used in light controlled situations where the focus is on image quality and low fan noise.

If you want a widescreen HD format PJ AND the high lumens take a look at the Benq SP830 with 3500 lumens.

Optoma makes a 1080p PJ with 3700 lumens but you will need $3500 and the intent is to provide 1080p performance for a boardroom, not your home theater.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yeah your sharp is actually a business projector. I know there are some who swear how good it can be for HT -but when I went to a designated HT Projector from a unit VERY similar to yours I was astonished by the improved color and contrast. Super-bright usually means mediocre contrast - too much light on screen.

For even moderately light controlled HT - Any modern 720p or better will blow that away - enjoy the upgrade :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.