AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. On white backgrounds there appears to be greenish blobs. On colored backgrounds they appear obviously appear much darker. I can't seem to bring them into focus so not sure if that rules out dust. Its hard to get decent pics with iphone but I've attached three. Does anyone have any insight as to what the issue is?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hi,

how old is this projector?

Your photos show very clearly there is a blue-ish haze coming from the bottom left corner, that takes about 65% of the image, and a pink-ish haze coming from the top right corner, taking the other part of the image. This was somewhat common on LCD projectors from years ago, and can still happen nowadays. It's also somewhat common on projectors that use a UV/IR cinema filter to cut brightness and increase contrast. In your case, it's my opinion that the polarizer filters of your projector are starting to wear off.

About the green blobs you're mentioning, since you can't focus on them it's possible they're defects on the actual LCD panels. An easy way to check this is to test each panel separately. For that you need an image for each color (RED, GREEN and BLUE). You can use these test patterns:

https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

If one of the colors shows the blobs and the others don't, then it's that LCD panel that has the problem. I'm assuming you really can't focus on the blobs, so that rules out dust as the cause.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. PJ is 5 or 6 years old. I think the blogs are there on all colors. On white background the look greenish but on darker colors it just looks like a dirty lense. I’ll see if I can get better pics later. Is any of this in the realm of self repair? I’m aggravated because I just dropped hundreds a new lamp.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
It still might be dust on some of the components. You need to disassemble the projector and clean the dust out. Never blow compressed air into a projector without disassembling as it will usually make it worse. Connectors are delicate and if you have never worked on laptops or projectors it may be beyond your average DIY'er. Don't disassemble anything in the optical block as getting it back together and aligned is very difficult.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It looks like whatever it is is across all colors. These are just zooms of the bottom right corner.

What @Rekbones said. Watch this video for general guidance. Avoid disassembling the lens, unless you actually see some dirt inside. It’s unlikely you’ll need to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts