AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, reading through the continuing "final reports from CES", I came across a very interesting comment from Mitsubishi on why they have not increased the lumen output on their HC 5000 projector, "Fear of heat damage to the LCD panels".

Take a look at this comment at Projectorreview.com, the report entitled: New Home Theater Projectors, and more, from the Consumer Electronics Show

January 2007 - Art Feierman

Could the reports on "fringing increasing with hours of use", be a real issue related to the otherwise loved brightness capability of this projector?

·
Registered
107 Posts
this would definitely be fuel to the fire for the arguement that heat is causing the red and blue side bleed issues. Do you have the ax100 presently? I see you're in LA, as am I. Do you know of anywhere that has the Panny (or the Mits HD1000 for that matter) on display for viewing?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Would you be so kind as to provide a specific link to the write-up you're referencing? I can't find anything even remotely resembling a write-up about LCD heat problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reference is to be found in the body of the CES review referenced in the first post.

More specifically page through the individual manufacturers until you find "Mitsubishi", the question of raising bulb brightness on the HC 5000, is followed by a quote about the possibility of heat damage to the panels.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advi...projectors.asp

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks.

Hmmm... Oooo... Kaaaaa...

Wouldn't it be somewhat of a leap to jump to the conclusion that the AX100 problems some are experiencing are related to a sales rep's speculation (read: excuse) as to why Mits hasn't manufactured a 2000+ lumen panel?

Not trying to bust your chops. you could very well be spot-on but I'm surprised if it's this simple of an issue, why someone like projectorreviews.com hasn't called Pany out and made them belly-up-to-the-bar and acknowledge a design flaw.

Don't get me wrong, there is definately a design flaw somewhere apparently and heat may very well be the issue. I just wish AX100 owners were a loud enough voice to get something done. Alas, we are not and they know it. If this were a design flaw in the 42" Pany plasma, Panasonic would be in a worldwide panic to fix the problem and shut-up the complainers. We're such a small percentage of their sales it ain't even funny. Part of the price we pay for living on the bleeding edge, I guess, unfortunately.

Nice find on the sentence. Maybe that will start the wheels turning and the ball rolling in the head of someone that has a voice loud enough for Pany to hear.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Is there something in the service menu that will allow you to increase cooling fan speed?

I did that on my Z2 3 years ago by 10% and I have the same bulb and see no polarizer issues or any such thing.

Preventative maintenance maybe?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Some have tried turning up the speed of the fan by implementing the "high altitude" mode but most reported that the internal sensors actually reported the unit running hotter when they did this. Strange indeed.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer /forum/post/0

Some have tried turning up the speed of the fan by implementing the "high altitude" mode but most reported that the internal sensors actually reported the unit running hotter when they did this. Strange indeed.

I made some posts on this. At first I thought it ran hotter on high alt., but later learned that lower numbers meant higher temp. so my interpretation was backwards, and the unit was consistently running much cooler on high alt., which makes sense.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyson /forum/post/0

I made some posts on this. At first I thought it ran hotter on high alt., but later learned that lower numbers meant higher temp. so my interpretation was backwards, and the unit was consistently running much cooler on high alt., which makes sense.

WOW. Thanks for that clarification. I must have missed the follow-ups. That's good information. Thanks.

I think I'll run mine from the get-go in high altitude mode. Maybe it'll alleviate some future issues.

Noise=bad. Broken=worse. I'll take a little extra fan noise.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I saw M_Tyson's post on this (and clarification as well). Since his clarification, i've been running mine on HighAlt.

Noise=bad, but I don't think the panny running on high alt = noise. At least not enough to be bad.

I don't hear it at all unless I'm watching a silent movie. And I NEVER watch silent movies.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I am doing some very unscientific studies on this pj. For starters, I was trying to measure air flow to see if the fan is accelerating on shut down. I used a Kestrel wind meter on the exhaust and got the following readings:

Eco=2.7mph

Normal=3.3mph

Eco/High Alt=3.7mph

Normal/High Alt=4.4mph

And the fan is not accelerating on shut down. It seems to run for about 70 seconds. However, I have taken some IR temp readings as far as I can shoot through the heat exhaust, and it drops about 10 degrees by the time the fan stops, and another 10 degrees after another minute (From about 155 degrees Fahrenheit to 135 degrees Fahrenheit).

Again, very unscientific....I'm measuring air flow in mph and only taking temp readings as far as I can see inside.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell /forum/post/0

I am doing some very unscientific studies on this pj. For starters, I was trying to measure air flow to see if the fan is accelerating on shut down. I used a Kestrel wind meter on the exhaust and got the following readings:

Eco=2.7mph

Normal=3.3mph

Eco/High Alt=3.7mph

Normal/High Alt=4.4mph

And the fan is not accelerating on shut down. It seems to run for about 70 seconds. However, I have taken some IR temp readings as far as I can shoot through the heat exhaust, and it drops about 10 degrees by the time the fan stops, and another 10 degrees after another minute (From about 155 degrees Fahrenheit to 135 degrees Fahrenheit).

Again, very unscientific....I'm measuring air flow in mph and only taking temp readings as far as I can see inside.

Very "cool"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I continue to be concerned by the apparent reference to panel convergence/"fringing" occurring with the passage of time.

Reading today in the Epson 810 Thread, I came across a very cogent comment by Joe Black. See his post on page 27, Post #804.

Would anyone else care to add to or refute his speculation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.