AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post. I'm looking for advice or troubleshooting hints about my ptl300u LCD projector.

The lamp had an unknown number of hours on it, I was operating the unit with lamp power on low and fan speed on high. I switched to the shutter function while I wasn't watching for a few minutes. When I went to switch back, the unit didnt respond. I was forced to switch it off manually.

Now when you turn on the power switch the "standby/power" led is orange, and the "lamp" led is red. When the power button is pressed the power button turns green, and the lamp lights for about 10 seconds. The green power led blinks, then red "temp" light comes on, along with "lamp" led. The bulb shuts off and the fan runs for a minute or so, then nothing happens.

So I assumed the lamp was shot. I removed the old one, and the reflector looked slightly damaged and cracked.

I bought a new panasonic lamp. Installed it, and nothing changed. the lamp will still kick on for a few seconds and shut off.

The fan runs, so I doubt anything is over temp in a few seconds of operation

Do these have some kind of temp sensor that goes bad?

Is there some way to reset the computer?

Any suggestions on what my next step should be?

Thanks

-Dan

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
When I had my L300U, I never used the "Shutter" since there is no reason to (it only has the effect of raising the lamp temperature and doesn't "help" anything). It sounds like your shutter is stuck closed. If you do get it working again, don't ever use the shutter again, just leave it displaying video (that's your best "screen saver").

Have you tried switching the main power switch to Off asnd unplugging your L300U for about a half hour or more (overnight would be better)? That should result in resetting everything. Just turning it Off from the remote (or the "Power" button on the top of the L300U) only switches it to standby, which still keeps the electronics powered up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/0

When I had my L300U, I never used the "Shutter" since there is no reason to (it only has the effect of raising the lamp temperature and doesn't "help" anything). It sounds like your shutter is stuck closed. If you do get it working again, don't ever use the shutter again, just leave it displaying video (that's your best "screen saver").

Have you tried switching the main power switch to Off asnd unplugging your L300U for about a half hour or more (overnight would be better)? That should result in resetting everything. Just turning it Off from the remote (or the "Power" button on the top of the L300U) only switches it to standby, which still keeps the electronics powered up.

Hi CT, Yes I tried unplugging it for an extended period overnight even. I was under the impression of the users manual that the shutter function puts the lamp in a low power mode to save on it when not in use. Does it actually use a real shutter inside that blocks the light? or is it some kind of electronic feature?

If its a physical shutter thats stuck I can try and free it up. I had it apart recently to see if any fans were seized or circuit boards fried. But everything appears ok, didnt get into the optics and lcds.

I assume there is some sort of interface that connects to the unit to read faults or reasons for malfunction. I feel sort of helpless diagnosing it without knowing where the problems are.

What do service people charge for diagnostics?

Thanks for the help

-Dan

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I was under the impression that it is a physical shutter (since switching the lamp to the low-power mode doesn't kill the picture - I normally ran it in the low power mode anyway).

Page 33 of the manual, however, implies that the lamp is partially shut down (whatever that means), instead of being a physical device.
Quote:
The shutter function can be used to momentarily turn off the picture and sound from the projector when the projector is not being used for short periods of time, such as during breaks in meetings or when carrying out preparation. The projector uses less power in shutter mode than it does in normal projection mode.

1. Select SHUTTER from the MAIN MENU screen and then press the ENTER button.

2. Press any button on either the projector or remote control unit to return to normal operating mode.

As for the cost of service, you'll have to contact your local (or nearest) Panasonic Service Center (see their web site).

I have a copy of the AE100 Service Manual, and there is no mention of a physical shutter on that model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I dropped the unit off at a repair center. They decided that the main circuit board is bad. Parts are around 500, labor about 250. Obviously I declined.

Anyone aware of a place that does some kind of projector salvage, or sells used parts?

Don't want to take a loss on this one.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.