AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Panasonic PT-L711XU worth considering as an upgrade from an AE100? I'm looking for a Panny L300 right now but cannot seem to find one. I notice that the contrast rating is 400:1 for the Panasonic PT-L711XU while my AE100's contrast is 500:1. The 711 has much higher lumens. What does this mean in terms of real world contrast? Using both in low lamp mode, is the L711XU worse, better or the same as my AE100 in terms of contrast. You'd think it would be similar, but I'm checking to see what experience people have had. Also, does the Panasonic PT-L711XU have MLA?

My main concerns are the PT-L711XU is 4:3 so I'm "wasting" pixels, although my resolution will actually be higher than the L300 or Z1 in 16:9 mode. Also, the 711 may project a picture with less contrast than the AE100.

thanx for any info

:)

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I take it that I'm not looking at an improvement in contrast. Is it safe to say that this would not be an "upgrade" from the AE100?

·
Registered
196 Posts
As a former owner of a Panasonic 711Xu for 2 years it was a good pj at its time. The micro lens array (MLA) helped reduce the SDE but still visible within 10 feet from the screen. Colors where good and vertical banding was absent. However one thing I didnt like about the Panasonic aside from being more expensive than the AE100 or the 75u (I think I overpaid) was that the contrast wasn't very good. At standard mode, it was bright but pics looked washed out. Most of the time I had the pj in econo mode. Contrast was OK.. not great but manageable and blacks were acceptable until of course I compared it with a different pj.

I have seen upgraded to a DLP and I must say it was a day and night difference in contrast and blacks; hands down the DLP wins. I've read a lot of times that DLP has better contrast and blacks than LCDs. However if you suffer from rainbow effects that DLP can induce, the newer LCD pjs might be a better upgrade that the Panny 711XU.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the info. It probably would have made a great first projector and about as good as the AE100 overall. I'm still looking for an L300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.