Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,

Been awhile since I have been here . I have been doing tons of research regarding a new TV. The 1st TV I trie was a gateway plasma. Once I found out about burn back to gateway it went . Now I have been looking at the wegas and the dlps and wanted to know what you guys thought about the panny lcd. Sammy dlp's bother me due to the whole pain in the ass xbox connections & the wega just does'nt catch my eye . I have been on this site a long time trying to get a tv that is very gamer friendly . MY viewing is mostly the following .

DVD

Gaming - PS2 ,XBOX,DREAMCAST,GAMECUBE,PS1,N64

Time Warner DTV & Tivo

Web surfing - using ati all in wonder 9700 pro .

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated . I just want some thing that I can plug & play everything and enjoy it without too many headaches .

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Dude,

Burn in is pretty much a non issue for plasma if you use common sense, ie turn the contrast down as low as possible and don't leave a game paused for 12 hours. Over the years I've probably seen thousands of plasmas and I've only seen burn in on displays in airports that have the same image 24/7.

That being said, I'm typing this on a Samsung HLN507W. It makes a wonderful DVI monitor. Currently, there are absolutely no HD Xbox games I'm interesting in playing, and if there were it would be a non issue. You can leave the Xbox hooked up to the HD inputs all the time. I mean really, are there any 480i Xbox games you're dying to play?

I love the Sammy, but I would say that all of the RPTV LCD and DLP sets are worth getting these days except for the RCA won't take a 720p signal POS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's cool that your typing on the dlp. What about the composite connection? I have all my sytems hooked up that way .Would the picture quality be horrible ? I still wanna hear people thoughts on the panny lcd

·
Registered
494 Posts
Here is my set-up that I could not be more happy with (actually I lie because I always want to upgrade).

I own the Panasonic PT-L300u LCD Front Projector.

My main usage is for X-box play on my 97" viewing area. I've put in over 400 hours of gaming since I got it in July. If you have the room I would go for the projector, even a nice 75" screen will wow you.

This projector does a wonderful job of turning non 16x9 games into a 16x9 aspect ratio (with the "JUST" option). For example Prince of Persia (4x3) still looks amazing and unstretched. You'll have some games that might look washed out a little at this size (97"), but trust me when I say the majority of the games look amazing. Just ask my friends that are floored by this thing.

Again this is with X-Box which 99% of the games support 480p and maybe 10% of the games support High Def (720p or 1080i). I can't promise you your other systems will look as good as I have not played any 480i games on it.

FYI I also use this for Progressive DVD (via DVI) and HD cable. I also have a 36 inch HDTV in the room to watch my every day TV because 97" from 12 feet away can be too much sometimes for channel surfing.

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The Panny LCD has a great reputation on the RPTV forum. I have the Sammy and prefer DLP, but I would be happy with this TV. However, if you intend to use composite connections on this or any other HDTV, you are wasting your money. It will look bad.

Every major console has component connection available. Heck, even the Dreamcast does, I believe. You can afford $2000 for a TV, but can't afford $20 for a component cable? I don't get it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the PT50LC13 I use for gaming and surfing. I like it very much, if I can do a custom resolution for a game at 1280x720 great but if not playing at 1024x768 is quite good the tv does a conversion so that while pixel perfect it looks very good and not overscaned. I hope this helps. BTW I use an ATI AIW 9000 my desktop is 1280x720.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris ,

I never thought the component cables were such a big deal . If I get this TV I will upgrade my connections .But I wanted to inquire about my options . I would never subject an awesome new tv to a ****** picture but I just had to ask .

Croberto ,

I wish I could put a projector in my room but I live in the attic and my ceiling is slanted . I will be opening up my room eventually. But I appreciate the suggestion .

Hey chris maybe the 2004 DLP's will be more Xbox friendly . What do you think ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the PT-50LC13, and all the systems you list except for the PS1. Everything looks great, except for the N64, which looks literally awful, through composite or s-video. Gamecube looks just fine through s-video. Would highly recommend this TV, enjoying it immensely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How bad does the n64 look ? Do you think that an RF connection would help the picture along . How does digital cable look? I plan on using Tivo as well .

·
Registered
19 Posts
The N64 looks bad, but not to the extent that it's unplayable. Very jagged and fuzzy.. bear in mind that my N64 could have some technical troubles of its own :)

As for digital cable, I couldn't speak to that, as I'm using regular old analog cable, which, depending on the channel, can actually look surprisingly good.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's interesting that you noted Dreamcast as one of your current gaming platforms. I am using a Samsung HLN 467W for my monitor and have found that the Dreamcast with a VGA box looks fantastic on the PC input. It's incredible how fresh some of the games look using this setup.

I'm playing XBOX and some PS2 and there is no way that you should pass up using component hookups to run either one of these systems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow I have not heard of a dreamcast VGA hook-up. It's great to see people still enjoying the system .

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
I mean really, are there any 480i Xbox games you're dying to play?
Well there's the issue of the dashboard. Sooner or later you may need to manage a save file or get a message relating to online play and you can't see it.

I personally would just use the 480p input 1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.