AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two competing reviews:

from the above:

"The RGB light source and absence of a color wheel leads Panasonic to claim "virtually no rainbow effect" despite the single-chip design."

and:

from the above:

"The picture quality of this projector really is amazing. Panasonic nailed it in this regard. Colors are vibrant without being oversaturated. The contrast and brightness are enough to allow the LRZ35U to be successfully deployed in a wide range of environments.

Its overall picture quality, including brightness and contrast, slightly exceed Panasonic stated ratings in our testing and to my eyes. Colors are consistent and the images this projector produces are just pleasant to watch. Even though it’s not necessarily the primary market, the Panasonic PT-LRZ35U has been purpose-built to fit into a wide range of use cases including home entertainment rooms.

The Panasonic PT-LRZ35U checks almost all the feature boxes you would expect from a business class projector at its price point and adds a few that are not normally seen on this class of projector. Its excellent picture quality, size, and overall feature set are why I am recommending you consider the LRZ35U for your business or home projector needs. It’s also why we are giving the Panasonic PT-LRZ35U a Projector Review special interest award. We really like it and think you will too."

This projector checks many of my boxes for the ideal all-round projector.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
these reviews... So brightness is very good and uniformity is very good. fan noise is good and input lag is good.

Still no cie chart, color luminance, on/off contrast, ansi contrast, color frequency, or crosshatch close-up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
PJC and PJR are both highly-respected sites, and I would trust their reviews implicitly.

Reactions: Archaea

·
Registered
144 Posts
i am sure they are but what if they have the best unit and other variables. I personally take all these reviews with a pinch of salt. There has to be more reviews from all point of views as far as i am concern.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Until they can replace the word "virtually" with the word 'literally' before the words 'no rainbow effect', it will continue to be a no sale for all us folks who see the rainbows.

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
The projectorreviews.com write up is basically glowing. At $1700 street price this might be a strong new recommendation for a lot of the budget queries. I loved my Panasonic projectors in the past. I hope they get back into the dedicated HT market.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i was trying to find out the colour gamut specs and actual contrast ratio once calibrated. but couldnt find any such details.

Is this because this projector is being advertised as business projector?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was trying to find out the colour gamut specs and actual contrast ratio once calibrated. but couldnt find any such details.

Is this because this projector is being advertised as business projector?
I suspect so. I think the reviewers have made it clear that in it's current form it's not a home theatre projector designed for critical users, but rather an all round good performer that will perform adequately in a variety of conditions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does this projector have a 16:9 mode? Or can it only be used in 16:10 setting? I briefly owned a Benq LK 952 and LK970. I had light engine failures in both units. Since then, I've earnestly searched for a .66" dlp projector with a led or laser light source. I much preferred the sharpness of a .66" chip or a .47" chip. And I preferred the sharpness and brightness of the LK970 over the Epson 6050UB's contrast when I owned both.

4K is a mess which must be fiddled with every movie on my Panasonic UB820 so no 4k support is no big deal for me. If the Panasonc PT-LRZ35U can get me 80% of the picture quality and sharpness the LK970 offered in a 16:9 setting, I'm ready to make the purchase right now.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does this projector have a 16:9 mode? Or can it only be used in 16:10 setting? I briefly owned a Benq LK 952 and LK970. I had light engine failures in both units. Since then, I've earnestly searched for a .66" dlp projector with a led or laser light source. I much preferred the sharpness of a .66" chip or a .47" chip. And I preferred the sharpness and brightness of the LK970 over the Epson 6050UB's contrast when I owned both.

4K is a mess which must be fiddled with every movie on my Panasonic UB820 so no 4k support is no big deal for me. If the Panasonc PT-LRZ35U can get me 80% of the picture quality and sharpness the LK970 offered in a 16:9 setting, I'm ready to make the purchase right now.
16X9 content will display with black bars (as per 2.35-1 with a 16x9 projector), OTOH WUXGA (1920x1200) is better for web surfing and for 4:3 content (ok, not too common).

·
Registered
65 Posts
16X9 content will display with black bars (as per 2.35-1 with a 16x9 projector), OTOH WUXGA (1920x1200) is better for web surfing and for 4:3 content (ok, not too common).
Ultra bummer. I was ready to pull the trigger on this tonight. But I hate vertical bars while watching 16 by 9 content. I don't want to give up on DLP tech, but the pickings are so slim nowadays. Benq is no longer offering refurb LK units. And their mid to low tier units have bad contrast with .47" chips. Not sure where to go at this point.

The Optoma GT-1090 looks interesting. But I'm afraid it will be a tremendous downgrade in picture quality due to its low price point.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ultra bummer. I was ready to pull the trigger on this tonight. But I hate vertical bars while watching 16 by 9 content. I don't want to give up on DLP tech, but the pickings are so slim nowadays. Benq is no longer offering refurb LK units. And their mid to low tier units have bad contrast with .47" chips. Not sure where to go at this point.

The Optoma GT-1090 looks interesting. But I'm afraid it will be a tremendous downgrade in picture quality due to its low price point.
The GT1090HDR was given a fairly good review:

and a long throw variant:

Optoma makes a variety of HDR 1080P/WUXGA laser projectors, such as the ZH406 and ZU506T

which is also available in 1080P as the ZH506:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts