AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Interesting. Surprised there hasn't been more comments yet.

Doeesn't look like it's for the home market at all right now.

I see this is DLP. Does that mean it still has a color wheel with the LED/laser just the light source? Or is RBE eliminated with the LED?

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk_sun  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser#post_22133080

I think those are business projectors.

Any information about price?
The PT-RZ 470 is for HT since it is a 1080P and 3D ready pj.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser#post_22133057

Interesting. Surprised there hasn't been more comments yet.

Doeesn't look like it's for the home market at all right now.

I see this is DLP. Does that mean it still has a color wheel with the LED/laser just the light source? Or is RBE eliminated with the LED?
There will be NO RBE on these pjs since they use a combo of Red LED + Blue LED + Green Laser as the primary colors, therefore, no color wheels are needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-2001  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser#post_22133178

There will be NO RBE on these pjs since they use a combo of Red LED + Blue LED + Green Laser as the primary colors, therefore, no color wheels are needed.

I don't think we can say that categorically yet. Although switching speeds will be higher than with a color wheel, as a single chip DLP design this will still display colors sequentially. The best we can say is that RBE is likely to be significantly reduced for the majority of viewers.

·
Banned
299 Posts
I don't think we can say that categorically yet. Although switching speeds will be higher than with a color wheel, as a single chip DLP design this will still display colors sequentially. The best we can say is that RBE is likely to be significantly reduced for the majority of viewers.

SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED FOR MAJORITY OF VIEWERS

For home theater use I can accept no Rainbow Effect period.

RBE is the big question? I got rid of several DLP projectors and went to LCD's because it drove me crazy. If Panasonic has solved the RBE problem with these laser models then, I will be first in line to purchase one.

I am really hoping the RBE with these models is a non-issue.

Am I going to be disappointed?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Would like to know the price as well, along with noise level and if the 20000:1 contrast is native or dynamic.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-2001  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser#post_22133178

You do not need color wheels to get RBE. When LED/Lasers are used and they sequentially alternate between red, blue and green colors, RBE is still possible. However, some such projectors do this color sequence much faster than can be done with the fastest color wheel (6X max. color wheel speed) and when done fast enough (e.g., up to 48X) the vast majority of people cannot detect RBE. I have no info on how fast this new Panasonic model is doing the RGB sequence and therefore cannot speculate if RBE will be visible or not.

·
Premium Member
24,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-2001  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser/0_50#post_22133176

The PT-RZ 470 is for HT since it is a 1080P and 3D ready pj.

That used to be the case, but not anymore.

If it were for HT it would have higher claimed CR, not that it would mean anything.

Plus if it were they would say so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser/0_50#post_22134681

Would like to know the price as well, along with noise level and if the 20000:1 contrast is native or dynamic.

No way it's native.

I sure hope they do make a HT version, just need to give up some brightness for (native) CR.

I'm more hopeful Panasonic will than Viewsonic; OTOH I believe they've only ever made DLP's for commercial use.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Don't for a moment think EPSON is sleeping

while Panasonic grabs market share and eats their lunch.

Any bets on an Epson Laser/LED at CES?

·
Registered
16,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser#post_22136547

Don't for a moment think EPSON is sleeping

while Panasonic grabs market share and eats their lunch.

Any bets on an Epson Laser/LED at CES?

My Cedia curiosity/anticipation just went up considerably after seeing this thread. Surely Panasonic cant be the only one with a laser/led projector to show.
Very curious about price as well.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Finally!

This could be the next-level game changer I've been waiting for.

Very interested to see how its black level and native contrast measure up.

Let's pray that it's realistically priced...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Good to see.............Led, Led/Laser, Laser are going to be must have words on projector marketing spiels soon.....other manufacturers can't be too far behind.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1415604/panasonic-pt-rz470-full-hd-led-laser#post_22135621

If it were for HT it would have higher claimed CR, not that it would mean anything.

Plus if it were they would say so.

The RZ470 has all the bells and whistles of a HT projector - 3D, lens shift, REC 709 color, full HD.

With its attractive look, it is dificult to say it will not find its way into many HT installations.

Just thinking, Panasonic might want to kill two birds with one stone (viz a viz: one design for both home and commercial markets) in this case.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Their marketing material & video seems to have this projector slated for a different venue than the home, but the including of 3D & Lens shift might indicate otherwise. it's good to see the 3 Pin VESA port, that means it will likely work with the RF glasses.

if I recall correctly, the Casio hybrid was a red led, blue laser, and green was converted by phosphor element. There was no green LED or Laser.

This photo from their youtube video seems to indicate this is using a green laser. That might explain the lumen output since green is the brightest color. The colors are probably off by a mile in the torch mode, but 3000 is still bright if it's true.

·
Registered
769 Posts
So, 20,000:1 contrast, AND a REC709 mode? Very home theater geared for sure.

There was no mention of a dynamic iris, so this is promising. Could possibly mean native contrast. Even if this is the best it can do, it would more than likely have to be in an optimized mode, because torch modes usually are not the best contrast situations.

I.E.: 20000:1, with rec 709 color would be the optimized mode, right?...great!! Now, I wonder what kind of lumens we can expect in this mode????? Things are finally moving forward with the 'mid level' guys and solid state lighting.

Pico projectors with subpar performance and rolls royce priced high end LED projectors (runco) have been around for a while for sure, but I have a feeling that our Panasonic, Epson, Sony, JVC, etc guys are gonna start following along somehow with prices that will start making these things obtainable by average humans.

1 - 20 of 286 Posts