AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the Panasonic PT40LC12, it is now 1 yr old. Seems the color may have shifted on me for some reason, I did get a new 4DTV reciever, but not sure if that is it.

The problem seems to be faces have a tad green highlight, blode hair and red hair seems to also show a tad of green to me.

Is it possible to calibrate the color on this unit, if so, how can I get info on this.

Also, can Bulb life cause this? CNN is not too bad, but some movies to me seem to show this more then others, Like Lord of the Rings.

This may just be me and my own eye sight, but if there are ways to adjust the color I may adjust or calibrate it for me.

Anyone else seen this green highlight?

Many Thanks, feel free to email me, [email protected]

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I also have one of those, a year old. I have seen no color shift.

I personally tried service menu tweeks when it was new and

never found a serious improvement, except for changing one gamma

value to get rid of greenish dark tones, and removing red push.

It could of course be a bad bulb. If you have been running the lamp

at the low power setting, this could do it. A few weeks at high may

fix it.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the first I have read about running it on low power. I always use low power! As far as the greenish dark tones you got rid of, which knob's did you tweak?

GAMMA H B 1

GAMMA L R 8

GAMMA L G 8

GAMMA L B 8

One of these? I will play around with this some more, and I will put the top option to normal, I believe that is the lamp, the other is the LCD screen, correct?

So far I love the picture, this problem I just noticed this past week.

Thanks for your help and any adjustment info you have for me would be great!

:) Rob

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The gamma change is ONLY if a picture goes green as it fades to black.

It's the green Gamma.

Try the lamp a few days on high.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, I also have the PT40LC12 and I was reading some previous threads the other day about some service menu tweaks that can be performed to improve color. Since then, I have done some tweaking of my own and before I knew it, I had destroyed my color.

I was reading some old posts by jdmcdonald where he had posted all of his factory settings in the service menu, so I plugged those into my set, and the color even looked worse. Would anyone know why my factory settings were different?? I did buy the display model from Sears, maybe it had already been tweaked to near perfection before I screwed it up.

I feel like such an idiot for not writing my original settings down before messing everything up. What can I do now?? The Sears tech that has worked with me on my set so far wouldn't know the first thing about tweaking these settings. He has no expirience with LCD's.

I found the nearest ISF person in my area, but found out it would be around $300 to have him come out to my house. No way! I'm totally freaking out here!!! jdmcdonald, if you are reading this please give me some advice or words of encouragement. I feel as if I've destroyed my set.

Should I purchase Avia or DVE? I should have just left everything alone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there, first thing, you are right about not writing down the settings you had, this was the first thing I did. But all should not be lost. Did you only change the settings in the video section? If so then adjustments to this area can still be made to get your picture back, but can take many hrs of playing.

One warning, do not use the DVD at Bestbuy to setup an LCD TV, it won't work right for color!!

If you want I can send you my settings, but again, each TV is setup for the elcetronics and lamps installed at that time.

What colors are you seeing to be the problem. Mine is in the green area, green shadows which should be blacker, and sometime faces a tad green on the edges.

Much better now that I have the lamp on the Normal setting 150W vs 130W, so I will leave it there for a few days. It was much nicer now.

I still want to play with the colors to get rid of this dark green/light green effect some how.

Best of luck, and it can be adjusted, take your time, right down changes you make and what is effected. color and tint are a hard thing to guess at, as it may seem more of one color should do something when it may not.

Keep me posted, my home email is [email protected] , feel free to write me.

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Rob. I am definately getting some purple tones. I'll have to look more closely, but I also don't have a very good reference to use. I'm really gonna need to take some time out of my schedule and sit down to a long tweaking session. I'll definately let you know what I come up with. Do you have any suggestions on a good reference DVD to use?? I just ordered Digital Video Essentials, but am told it's kind of hard to use.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmcdonald
The gamma change is ONLY if a picture goes green as it fades to black.

It's the green Gamma.

Try the lamp a few days on high.

Doug McDonald
I did try the lamp on high a few days and it did seem to help, but not completely. One question I have is where are the gamma settings, I believe I checked all the video settings in the service menus and could not locate the gamma ones?

Also, I noticed one other thing I wanted to run by you. In Just or Full mode I notice that skin tones on the right side of the screen seem to be greenish and on the left redish, have you noticed this, not on all shows, but mainly movies and darker sences. When in normal mode it is not so bad, nor in full mode at 1080i. So is the streching of the picture doing this as I can not see how the lamp would. It does not bother my wife, but to see a green face is not normal to me. Evne if it is not real bad I would like to adjust that out, but not sure I can.

The green highlight in dark sences is a differnt issue, so the gamma adjustment may help. Shadows on faces etc like in lord of the rings seems greener then normal.

Over all I love this set, I may be way to picky at this point, maybe watching too many movies in HD or just plain watching too much TV!

Thanks for any input you can supply me!!

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently had to have Sears take my pt-40lc12 and since they couldn't replace it I had to order a different TV and ended up with a Sony.

From a previous service call, I still have an unused, still sealed air filter (part LSYC0239) for the panny.

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would take it off your hands, you trying to sell this item or give it away? Either way what about shipment?

Not sure I really need it, I still have the extra one that came with the TV too.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.