AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this unit, if so how are the blacks? I am conflicted between the Panasonic and the Sony 50" LCD. I have read that the Panasonic is about 1K cheaper in price, but checking the local stores they are about similar.

Any information regarding the PT 50 is appreciated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The blacks are probably the weakest part of the picture IMO. I have to turn up the brightness to 3/4 of the way up to get some detail out of the blacks.

That said, I would rather live with slightly worse blacks than have to worry about whether my GWIII turns on or not every time I hit the power button. Been there and done that with Sony. I wouldn't risk paying a large amount of money for a potential timebomb.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do a search in the Rear Projection Units for both PT-50LC13 and PT50LC13 and you find about 3 hours worth of reading. For what it's worth, I don't find the black levels too bad. I love this set!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Black looks black on my pt-50lc13, I never understood what the issue was, if a suit, a car or something else was suppose to be black , it looked black to me, absolutely no issues with my panasonic since I got it in September

·
Registered
430 Posts
I love mine except for the fact that it doesn't work. I had the last tech out yesterday who again couldn't fix it. Sears won't replace it as they say it's now discontinued, I checked their website and it's not even listed anymore. They're giving me a Hitachi v500 instead, I hear the PQ is better but man that's an ugly plastic looking thing that has to sit in the middle of my living room.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a 42" Sony GWIII for about a month and had no problems with it. I was fearful that it would develop the infamous "buzz" and did not like Sony's lack of candor on the issue. I went to CC and swapped my Sony for a PT50LC13. I could tell no difference in the picture quality with SD and DVDs. While the Panny HD picture was very good, IMO it did not have the same "you are there" impact as the Sony HD picture did. This may have been a function of screen size, but I think it was likely more than that.

After 3 days with the Panny I went back to CC to see if I could swap it back for my original GWIII. They had already sold it but gladly ordered me a new one. They are letting me keep the Panny until the new GWIII comes in. Maybe by then Sony will have their issues resolved.

The folks at CC are fantastic!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm very happy with my set. As 59wayne said, there's a lot of reading material already available on this site in previous threads.

The black level issue seems in many ways to be a personal one... some are bothered by it, others are not. After running through some adjustments with DVE I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Before I bought my Panny, I had an opportunity to compare the black of the Panny against the 42" Sony WE in a dark room at my local CC. I found that black is "blacker" on the Panny. I turned brightness of both sets all the way down and it was clear that the black of the Panny was darker and blacker than that of the Sony (although the black of the Panny had a blue tint to it). I think that since the Sony's bulb is so bright, it gives an illusion that its black is better that the Panny's when in reality it is not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.