AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a B&M called The Great Indoors and they had a Panasonic PT52DL10 showing an HDTV loop. I've seen a few HDTV's including some Pioneer Elite's with various programming, but this Panasonic was the best HDTV I've ever seen. My wife, who has no interest in electronics, really thought it was awesome. Could this be the best HDTV? I'd love some feedback on this. It really was exquisite, if that doesn't sound to feminine.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I am glad that someone has finally seen one of these sets. I have

been looking all over Tulsa for one with no luck. What type of

price range did you find and how did it look compared to plasma?

Thanks again for the report.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've had the Panasonic PT-52DL10 for almost a year now, and in general I have been very happy with it.

Strengths:

No burn-in problem

Bright enough for room with windows and full daylight

only 18" deep, fits where other RPTVs don't

very light, easy to move

lots of AV inputs (3x component, 4x s-video/composite inc. one set of AV

inputs on front, 1 svga on front)

accepts 720p native

Weaknesses:

Cost (although recently I have seen them isted on the internet new for $7k-$8k, and a floor model at a local store for $6k)

True resolution is 1280x720, so 1080i is scaled (but the 1080i pictures are still outstanding)

Black level is a bit weak, especially in a dark room watching dark scenes

SVGA input only takes up to 1024x768, and is really a 800x600 native (1024x768 is scaled down)

not very many on the market, so it is tough to compare notes with other users

I don't use the built-in tuner, so I can't comment on that.

When I decided on this set, plasmas were substantially more expensive then they currently are, and there was no 50" plasma available. If I were looking now, I would be looking closely at the DLP set v. the new Panasonic and Pioneer 50" plasmas, and weighing the trade-off between better black levels and the potential for burn-in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.