AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my choices down to these two tvs. I have heard a lot of positive feedback on the Hitachi, but I think the Panny has only been out for a couple of months. The sales rep at CC seemed to be a fan of the Hitachi mainly because of the magic focus and reputation. I did not see much difference between picture quality and liked the cosmetics of the Panny. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There was a thread on this a week or so ago. Search for it.

My vote... Panny all the way because of the inputs and computer-friendliness.

If you only want the best PQ possible, then go with Hitachi.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aghusker
There was a thread on this a week or so ago. Search for it.

My vote... Panny all the way because of the inputs and computer-friendliness.

If you only want the best PQ possible, then go with Hitachi.
How is the Panny more computer friendly?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a PT56WX53 and sent it back. I bought a Hitachi 57S500 and they are, IMO, worlds apart picture quality wise and user configuration wise. I don't really know the differences between the WX and the TW.

The WX53 has one set of user level color adjustments for every input and scan rate. The S500 has them per input with day/night settings for each. The S500 has user level color decoder adjustments and the user level convergence has more adjustment points than the service level on the WX53. The WX53 had green and magenta streaks on vertical, high contrast, lines but that was probably some kind of defect.

The S500 is so much better at displaying standard definition that anyone can see the difference. DirecTV and my laserdisc collection will be watchable on the S500 where it was like watching VHS on the WX53.

The WX53 that I had some "significant" geometry problems on two corners and the geometry controls weren't very good. The S500 that I have could use some adjustments to the geometry but given the user level color and convergence, I haven't even been into the service menu yet.

There is a fairly large difference between the two sets pricewise but well worth it IMO. The S500 will scale 480i/p to 540p or 1080i whichever you tell it too but I can't really tell any difference between the two. The only place where I think the WX53 has any advantage (other than price) is the 4:3 scaling to 16:9 where the expanded mode is not quite so objectionable as the S500 however the scaling was "so bad" I pretty much had to watch and 4:3 material with side bars anyway.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have a new PT-53TW53 and it seems like a great set. Regular cable is not very good, but it is a big screen and big screens magnify bad cable. HD looks very good, and I haven't had time to tune the set yet.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.