AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this yesterday, good quality picture, HDMI compatible. Anyone have any thoughts on this projector or similar spec alternatives? Cheers.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I owned a new in box AE700 and sold it within it's first 100 hours, begging to go back to another CRT, which turned out to be an ehome 8500.

I posted my review here in the CRT forum, if you want to search for it. The AE has it's positives. Just not enough of them for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Packed mine up after only 40 minutes and sold that piece of crap for much less than what I paid for it, and ended up buying Ken Whitcombs Runco 980 Ultra with brand new tubes and would never go back to digital ever!

Dan

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
It is a great value for an LCD projector and the subsequent model which should be out in the 4th quarter is expected to perform even better. Go to the under $3,500 digital projector section here and read all about it.

Chris

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Although this is really the wrong forum to post this, I've seen the AE700. It's ok for a one chip LCD projector (although the bulbs that are rated for 2K hours seem to go bad after 500 hours and they aren't warranteed), it certainly isn't among the "better" digitals. If someone really wants to go digital, the D"ILA's are the best there is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've got over 250 hours on my AE700 and couldn't be happier - unless I had paid half the price for it.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyBR
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've got over 250 hours on my AE700 and couldn't be happier - unless I had paid half the price for it.

I think you did pay half price.......unless you overpaid. I believe it lists for about 3K and you can buy them around $1400. It's not bad for the price. Let us know how many hours you get on the bulb, it seems they've had a problem with them. :)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
DILAs are hardly the best there is. Contrast ratios are quite poor.

I think the AE700 is one of the best buys in 3 grand and under price range. I shopped the available choices and bought one. For the price it's a great deal. I can buy one, upgrade to what today sells for 3 times as much in a year or two and still have spent less. Sure there are better projectors out there, but you have to look at apples to apples.

There are huge threads on this projector already, so this one is kinda pointless. But the first few posters are out of the mainstream given this is one of the most popular projectors being sold today.

And as for the comment about buying a CRT projector, well talk about apples to oranges. I've owned a 8" CRT before, and would never go back to the hulking beast on the ceiling personally! To each his own, but to make such comments reduces the quality of the answer.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAP
DILAs are hardly the best there is. Contrast ratios are quite poor.

I think the AE700 is one of the best buys in 3 grand and under price range. I shopped the available choices and bought one. For the price it's a great deal. I can buy one, upgrade to what today sells for 3 times as much in a year or two and still have spent less. Sure there are better projectors out there, but you have to look at apples to apples.

There are huge threads on this projector already, so this one is kinda pointless. But the first few posters are out of the mainstream given this is one of the most popular projectors being sold today.

And as for the comment about buying a CRT projector, well talk about apples to oranges. I've owned a 8" CRT before, and would never go back to the hulking beast on the ceiling personally! To each his own, but to make such comments reduces the quality of the answer.
The thread was posted in the wrong forum. Normally, it would have opened the whole debate on digitals vs. CRTs, so you shouldn't expect kudos here on ANY digital projector.....even a really good top of the line digital, which the AE-700 isn't. Is it a good projector for the price.....sure I would say so. However, it's only a bargain at around $1400, NOT its list price of nearly $3K.

You apparently edited your post from saying the CR "sucks" on D'ILA's to saying the CR are "quite poor". Although the D'ILA haven't had very good CR's in the past, the latest D'ILA have CR's that are "quite acceptable". And while the average person might not even recognize the "quite poor" contrast ratios, they certainly DO recognize poor picture quality, rainbows and looking through someones old screen door. :p

The D'ILAs, including the older ones, STILL have the best pictures quality, especially if you're interested in, what some people refer to as, the "film look". As for CR, you need to look at a well calibrated JVC HD2K, while still too expensive and overpriced, it has picture quality as good as a CRT and overall CR that rivals a CRT. When the prices finally come down, it's the D'ILA, or similar LcOS technology that will eventually replace the CRT.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SondekLP12
Packed mine up after only 40 minutes and sold that piece of crap for much less than what I paid for it, and ended up buying Ken Whitcombs Runco 980 Ultra with brand new tubes and would never go back to digital ever!

Dan

hahahahahahahahahahhaaha :D :D :D

Oh wait, I think he was being serious.

That makes it even more funny!

·
Registered
160 Posts
820 hrs into my 700, love it. Spend some time searching this forum for AE700 -- and be prepared to wade through a lot of sewage to find a few specks of gold.

There's a lot of 700 hatin' in this forum -- and you'll also find a lot of folks perfectly satisfied with it.

Actually, you'll find a lot of LCD hatin' here, period.

All I'll say is, it's working just fine, and puts out a very nice image, once properly set up using a disk like Avia or Digital Video Essentials.

Be prepared to work to get a really good image. Likely you'll have to address light control in the room, and that doesn't mean just drapes -- at the very least, the wall opposite the screen must be painted a flat, dark color -- brick, wine, black, dark royal blue, etc. Else, the light coming off the screen will hit the back wall and bounce right back at the screen, killing the image. A problem I wager many a 700/LCD hater has run into without even knowing it.

Bluntly put, no projector, regardless of price, will look snappy and contrasty if you have light coming at the screen from the windows, the back wall, lamps, etc.

If you'd like to discuss with me what I've done to my room to improve the picture, drop me a private message.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriated_tiger
If you'd like to discuss with me what I've done to my room to improve the picture, drop me a private message.
Did you hang a CRT in front of it to improve the picture? :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist. There's really no AE-700 in this forum, most of the members probably don't even know what it is. ;) Not that you posted it, but it didn't belong here. Hey, it's ok for the price if you don't have the room for a CRT, but, there are MANY projectors. The starting point for a decent digital is at LEAST, a 3 panel unit. When you look at the prices of those, in LCD or DLP, there isn't a bargain to be had. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Did you hang a CRT in front of it to improve the picture? :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist. There's really no AE-700 in this forum, most of the members probably don't even know what it is. ;) Not that you posted it, but it didn't belong here. Hey, it's ok for the price if you don't have the room for a CRT, but, there are MANY projectors. The starting point for a decent digital is at LEAST, a 3 panel unit. When you look at the prices of those, in LCD or DLP, there isn't a bargain to be had. :)
Um.. you do realize this IS the under-3500 forum, right? DOn't those CRT things belong in the Filthy Stinkin' Rich forum? I thinks you're the one in the wrong forum.

Was this thread posted in the STinkin' Rich forum initially? It isn't there anymore -- it's here, where I found it.

FWIW, the 700 *is* a 3-chip design. And IMO, it is a bargain at the street price.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna watch some nice anime (hm... Steel Angel Kurumi sounds good tonight) on my apparently-not-worthy-for-this-forum AE700, enjoying a nice glass of something French, and a nice bowl of something leafy, resiny and green.

:D

Oh wait, the 700 IS worthy of this under-3500 forum.. it is techman who somehow got lost and wound up down here in the LCD/DLP ghetto. ;)

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriated_tiger
Um.. you do realize this IS the under-3500 forum, right? DOn't those CRT things belong in the Filthy Stinkin' Rich forum? I thinks you're the one in the wrong forum.

Was this thread posted in the STinkin' Rich forum initially? It isn't there anymore -- it's here, where I found it.

FWIW, the 700 *is* a 3-chip design. And IMO, it is a bargain at the street price.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna watch some nice anime (hm... Steel Angel Kurumi sounds good tonight) on my apparently-not-worthy-for-this-forum AE700, enjoying a nice glass of something French, and a nice bowl of something leafy, resiny and green.

:D

Oh wait, the 700 IS worthy of this under-3500 forum.. it is techman who somehow got lost and wound up down here in the LCD/DLP ghetto. ;)
You're right, I don't know how the hell I wound up here. :p I get so many emails for so many threads I don't know whether I'm coming or going. You're right, my error, it is a 3 panel unit. That must be why I thought it looked okay, I thought I was looking at a one panel design. :)

Enjoy your movie, but I hope the French wine doesn't make you sick. :rolleyes:

btw- I STILL like D'ILA's the best.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.