AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I purchased a Panasonic DVHS from a retailer that was closing down one of its local stores.

I understand that Panasonic sold early models to stores (demo units) that might not have been full featured (playback only?)

Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how do you tell the difference? Visual difference? Serial number? The serial number on my unit is D9SC30... According to Panasonic, this means it was manufactured in April of 1999.

I don't have a Panasonic HDTV tuner to do a quick test. I will try a recording with MyHD when I get a chance, but DVHS support on that is a bit flakey. If I can copy and restore a file from DVHStool, does that confirm if the unit can record?

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
A well discussed topic on the forum many months back...

but the quick answer is that the recording heads of the demo units were made for extended playback more so than recording. [I have both kinds and no problems with moderate use.]

The "consumer" units do not have as many vents on the top.

The "demo" units are marked as such with stickers on the back and have a different range of serial numbers.

---

Note: Eventhough there is a "do not repair" sticker, Panasonic Factory Service in Elgin, Il. will do it, but it won't be cheap -- they upgraded the recording head, so expect about a $500+ bill. I went that route with one of mine because eventhough it had an unrelated cassette loading problem, they have to "bring it up to specs." I also did buy a $200 replacement head [upper cylinder] assembly to do the conversion myself on my other demo unit. [Fortunately I haven't needed to do it yet]. (Thanks gridleak for your "how-to" posting.)

So for me, I have 1 "consumer", 1 "demo", and 1 "demo" converted to "consumer". All are fine, work great recording HD onto SVHS tapes. And they really don't need that much TLC compared to the JVC 30K -- I only clean when I have to!.

---

Bottom line... you came to the right place. The "care and feeding of the PV-HD1000" is well documented in this forum.

Either the demo or the consumer works fine with proper care.

Clean the heads (and if its a well-used demo unit you may possibly need to replace the firewire jack [also done as a "how-to" in this forum]), and you should be all set for a while. When playback of a just-recorded program is marginal, that's when it's asking for a cleaning and possibly the replacement of the "consumer" upper cylinder.

·
Banned
136 Posts
As far as I remember, the demo unit has a cover which has been perforated with an array of round ventilation holes. That unit was optimised for playback.

The consumer unit has few (or no) holes in the top cover.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Serial number is the best way to be sure since the "Not for sale..." sticker can be removed from the back panel, and the lid can be changed. Demos are in the range from B9SA30001 to B9SA30500. You can tell if the heads are original demo by the number marked on top of the cylinder. Demo heads start with "JD", whereas consumer heads end with "JD".

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. My original search didn't bring up any details on this. When I did the "slowest search" option, it brought up several old threads.

Based on the detailed description of 'demo' units from those threads, it looks like I do have a consumer unit.

Kippjones,

I'll try to post the amount I paid in a few days after my _ _ _ _ auction is done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.