AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new PV-HS2000 for 125.00 without a remote. Is this a good deal?

Is ReplayTV going out of business?

When I go to Panasonic's webpage to order a remote they have two different model numbers:

2000010 IR REMOTE CONTROL UNIT

2000015 REMOTE CONTROL

They are both the same price, does anyone have any input as to which one I need to order?

What is a good website to give me directions for upgrading the Hard Drive?

What are the benefits over a TIVO?

·
Registered
395 Posts
First $125 is a very good price; if you want you can turn an immediate profit on it if you put it up for sale.

Replay was bought by SonicBlue; I don't believe they're on their way out of business at the moment.

Second I wouldn't buy a remote from Panasonic you can usually find them on e-bay for much cheaper.

Tivo has a monthly charge to dial into their service; your unit doesn't.

Most people here prefer the Replay interface.

Tivo may cause warts.

Whichever you choose; use either one and in six months you'll wonder how you ever watched TV without it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just posted a single drive DIY.

DIY Instructions

You can get a Panasonic remote from eBay for about $20-30. Far cheaper than the $60 Panasonic wants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Panasonic has the manual online.

Why does panasonic say there are two different remotes for my unit though. One that is IR and one is not????

If I buy a Replay TV remote will it work with the Pansonic?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Replay remote will work fine with a showstopper.

Don't know why Panasonic lists two remotes; both gotta be ir.

Before hacking it (larger drive) and breaking the seal on the bottom, I'd make sure it works correctly. There's a 90 day labor 1 year parts warranty on it to cover any problems. If it has a motherboard problem it will have to go back to Panasonic for repair.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think that other "remote" is the IR emitter thingy. You know the IR that controls others devices like DSS and cable boxes. -mk

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Only if you take out the hard drive and patch it with the Macrovision patch.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Logan
Can the HS2000 defeat macrovision if you input a dvd player?
Replay upgraded the showstopper software to version 3 build 202 approx last Feb. You can watch or record macrovision protected shows on the showstoppers now. Give it a try.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Correct. I had a stock Showstopper that upgraded to 202 and it recorded a couple of DVDs fine.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Ahh, that would explain why I didn't know about that: my husband absconded my Showstopper in January ;)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It will do all upgrades over the telephone. Some things it doesn't do until the first or second connect after setup, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.