AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there is a way to lower the ambient black level of the current gen Panasonic plasmas. I guess I am thinking that there could be some sort of setting similar to RGB cutoff (like on a CRT) that might have an effect? I know this is highly unlikely otherwise I am sure such a procedure would get its own sticky thread in this forum.

In an indirect way I guess I am trying to figure out what is actually different in this latest 8th gen Pioneer that makes it able to have such a lower precharge level. If these voltages are all modulated by a program in an EEPROM somewhere it almost seems likely that it could improved upon just by updating the firmware, much like that company that discovered a way to dim flourescent lights (once thought to be impossible) by modulating the voltage at a certain frequency.

Last thing, I have to comment on this because I found the difference so substantial. I was using the DVI out on my LG LST-3510a with a DVI to HDMI cable going into my Panasonic TH-42PX6U and just recently I switched back to component video, I must say that it looks so much better with the component video. There seems to be more color saturation and what appears to be more accurate (or at least natural) color, as well as much more detail in the black material. Perhaps the DVI out on the LG is compromised in some way but either way I am surprised at how much better the PQ is with component video.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/0

Just curious if there is a way to lower the ambient black level of the current gen Panasonic plasmas. I guess I am thinking that there could be some sort of setting similar to RGB cutoff (like on a CRT) that might have an effect? I know this is highly unlikely otherwise I am sure such a procedure would get its own sticky thread in this forum.

In an indirect way I guess I am trying to figure out what is actually different in this latest 8th gen Pioneer that makes it able to have such a lower precharge level. If these voltages are all modulated by a program in an EEPROM somewhere it almost seems likely that it could improved upon just by updating the firmware, much like that company that discovered a way to dim flourescent lights (once thought to be impossible) by modulating the voltage at a certain frequency.

Last thing, I have to comment on this because I found the difference so substantial. I was using the DVI out on my LG LST-3510a with a DVI to HDMI cable going into my Panasonic TH-42PX6U and just recently I switched back to component video, I must say that it looks so much better with the component video. There seems to be more color saturation and what appears to be more accurate (or at least natural) color, as well as much more detail in the black material. Perhaps the DVI out on the LG is compromised in some way but either way I am surprised at how much better the PQ is with component video.

The only setting I know of on my Panny 42" for black level is the Black "setting" that allows you to choose "Light" or "Dark". Most guys run it at the "light" setting, FWIW.

I also agree with you on component looking best. Everytime I thinki I'm gonna "upgrade" to HDMI I always either come back to component or just stay with it. It does work excellent on these Pannys....

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/0

I don't question for a moment your observation regarding the PQ difference you see between the different connections. However, this difference is most likely due the the current adjustments being more suitable to the component connecton than the HDMI. Once properly adjusted, preferably calibrated, the PQ shuold be equivalent or better.

Remember with the component you have an extra digital to analog conversion in the player and a resulting analog to digital conversion in the display (assuming the signal is analog YPrPb). These extra conversions do not help PQ.

How hard did you work on the adjustments while using the HDMI connection?

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. You might try posing this as a question in the Calibration forum and see what responses you get. I think the answers would be interesting to many back here in the Plasma forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.