AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to get the new S2 model today and went to a local store. When I got there, there were no panasonic models out on display or anywhere, and they have always had the higher end models. I talked to my salesman and he said that panasonic recently recalled and bought back all of their stock of last year's models, so they have nothing to sell. No explanation either for why the recall happened. He told me to expect the new models to get to their store by mid march to april... so i guess I'll have to wait. Did anyone know anything about this?

Thought I'd share.

the store I went to is hifibuys in Nashville.

·
Vendor
32,777 Posts
Wonder if there is just some confusion, almost all Panasonic models have been discontinued from last year. Only units we can get are the TC-P58S1, TC-P65S1, TC-P58V10, and TC-P65V10. Most stores do not carry the V10. 2010 models are coming out slowly.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN /forum/post/18219113

So I wanted to get the new S2 model today and went to a local store. When I got there, there were no panasonic models out on display or anywhere, and they have always had the higher end models. I talked to my salesman and he said that panasonic recently recalled and bought back all of their stock of last year's models, so they have nothing to sell. No explanation either for why the recall happened. He told me to expect the new models to get to their store by mid march to april... so i guess I'll have to wait. Did anyone know anything about this? Thought I'd share. the store I went to is hifibuys in Nashville.

Sounds like another bullcrap story from a clueless salesman with an agenda.

AFAIK there is no recall from Panasonic, and it's very unlikely that they'd buy up any remaining stock. Last years models have been discontinued for over a month and the supply is drying up.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I dont believe its a made up story. I've dealt with that saleman for years, and he's always been very upfront. He had no reason to lie, nor did he try to steer me into another brand. He just told me to come back in a month and they were having a private sale today for regular customers. Anyway, there wasn't any motive other than to tell me whatever overstock they had, was being bought back form panasonic.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18219137

AFAIK there is no recall from Panasonic, and it's very unlikely that they'd buy up any remaining stock. Last years models have been discontinued for over a month and the supply is drying up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN /forum/post/18220013

well I dont believe its a made up story. I've dealt with that saleman for years, and he's always been very upfront. He had no reason to lie, nor did he try to steer me into another brand. He just told me to come back in a month and they were having a private sale today for regular customers. Anyway, there wasn't any motive other than to tell me whatever overstock they had, was being bought back form panasonic.

Well I have been in local Best buy store a month ago. There was not single Panasonic TV in sight, but there was Samsung, Insignia, and some other plasma screens. The only two weeks before there was a bunch Panasonic Plasma Tv's there.

I definitely trust you about this.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18219137

+1

My local best buy is out of 50S1, has the 58S1 and quite a few 65 S1. There is no recall from Panasonic. But I bought a Samsung!!

Also my local Costco as of last week had about 5 of the 65", but I think the model# was a costco model# of S01 or something like that.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well, I just checked the Futureshop website, here in Canada. No Panasonic tv's are available In Store. There's exactly 1 42C available online for Western Canada, and 1 42G available, again, for the prairies. I clicked on the link for most of the models that they sell. All Not Available In Store. The 65" are web-only right in the ad text so I didn't click on those.

Futureshop normally is swamped with Panasonic plasmas. Makes me think that they are definitely holding out for those Gradual Voltage Increase 2010 models!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't listen to this crap. Panasonic manufactured the 50G10 and the 65V10 in January of 2010. I will drive to best buy and take pictures if I have to. We are talking about TVs here not Peanut Butter. They wouldn't recall the whole 2009 lineup and buy back existing stock. Panasonic has had enough issues throughout 2009 and has stood behind their product. Whether it be diagonal lines on their early 2009 sets to the whole thx problem to the recent decrease in black level over time... They have been confident in their product and will continue to do so. A good majority of the tv salesman have no idea what they are talking about...so don't believe everything they say. I deal with their ignorance every week. Your so called salesman lied to your face which happens a lot unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The '09 and '10 sets are listed as available on the BB site. Interesting to see the 42u1 is $50 more than the 42U2.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Actually, I would be willing to lend credence to this if there were some confirmation other than that salesman. The X1/14 while technically being a 12g set did not have the neopdp panels that every other model in the line had. It's plausible that it was overstock from 11g panels. It's very possible in my mind that they would buy back 12g sets, retrofit them with new drive boards or some such to do the "slower" black level rise and sell them as 13g models.

The sizes listed are the ones people seemed to indicate had less issues with black level rising, although I guess only Panasonic would know based on the number of complaints received. X1/G10/G15 models are not in that list Cleveland Plasma had, so that would seem to make some sense if it were true. It's worth noting that Panasonic has started shipping 13G Plasmas so it could very easily just be a case where they ran out of stock and any panels that are available are simply overstock.

·
Registered
587 Posts
my local BB has been out of G10's for weeks; however, they still have C, U, S1, and now S2 (1 larger model, I forget exactly which size).

Lots of TV's marked as clearance with $ drops on led-lcd & plasma alike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Most of the distributors at this time of the year will (buyback) reverse invoice older inventories if the locations want to make room for newer inventories in the wings. It's common practice that some smaller locals will sell the tv's on consignment type basis as they can't afford to buy bigger inventories any other way, but they end up taking a smaller cut as the prices are fixed by the distributor.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/18221054

Actually, I would be willing to lend credence to this if there were some confirmation other than that salesman. The X1/14 while technically being a 12g set did not have the neopdp panels that every other model in the line had. It's plausible that it was overstock from 11g panels. It's very possible in my mind that they would buy back 12g sets, retrofit them with new drive boards or some such to do the "slower" black level rise and sell them as 13g models.

The sizes listed are the ones people seemed to indicate had less issues with black level rising, although I guess only Panasonic would know based on the number of complaints received. X1/G10/G15 models are not in that list Cleveland Plasma had, so that would seem to make some sense if it were true. It's worth noting that Panasonic has started shipping 13G Plasmas so it could very easily just be a case where they ran out of stock and any panels that are available are simply overstock.

NeoPDP was only on the S1, G10/G15, V10 and Z1.

C1, X1/X14, U1, S14 are not NeoPDP.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qphillips06 /forum/post/18220261

A good majority of the tv salesman have no idea what they are talking about...so don't believe everything they say. I deal with their ignorance every week. Your so called salesman lied to your face which happens a lot unfortunately.

So I went to a store with the specific intention of buying a display, I tell him that and he, who works in a shop that sells a/v equipment that sells for tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, knows each product inside and out, and built a relationship with me over 3 years, gives me a plausible reason why they dont even have a display model of anything panasonic, and then talks me OUT of buying anything else and just tells me to come back later when they will have stock. Yeah, sounds like he really took me for a fool. /s

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Highlander /forum/post/18221457

Most of the distributors at this time of the year will (buyback) reverse invoice older inventories if the locations want to make room for newer inventories in the wings. It's common practice that some smaller locals will sell the tv's on consignment type basis as they can't afford to buy bigger inventories any other way, but they end up taking a smaller cut as the prices are fixed by the distributor.

now that is the most intelligent thing i've read in this thread. This is a small store, it is NOT a best buy or equivalent big box retailer. They are a locally owned small business store that deals with client solutions than stocking large inventory. This is probably what happened. Thanks of explaining it.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN /forum/post/18221808

So I went to a store with the specific intention of buying a display, I tell him that and he, who works in a shop that sells a/v equipment that sells for tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, knows each product inside and out, and built a relationship with me over 3 years, gives me a plausible reason why they dont even have a display model of anything panasonic, and then talks me OUT of buying anything else and just tells me to come back later when they will have stock. Yeah, sounds like he really took me for a fool. /s

Sorry hes an idiot. could have purchased 46 50 or 54s in my BB yesterday. Spent time watching a 65v10 which I also could have purchased.

Your boy may not have been trying to mislead you but that doesnt make him unknowledgable. The guy is not very informed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up a 58V10 a little over a week ago from a Best Buy in Phoenix. This set replaced my failing Sony SXRD RPTV. My new 58V10 has a January 2010 manufacturing date. BBY had plenty of them in the local distribution center.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
we picked up a Panny 50X1 a little over two weeks ago at Best Buy and at the time the salesmen said the X1 and S1/S14's were some of their best sellers due to the low closeout prices and there was someone else buying a 50S14 at the same time we were getting ours

a buddy of mine just bought a 50S1 at the same best buy just 2 days ago....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought one of those 54 S14'S for a great price about 6 weeks ago... but now wish i didn't..I hate this TV! As soon as the 58 inch sammy's come out this junker is going on craigslist, If panasonic is buying these back please let me know what i need to do!

Soft picture other than good blu rays and even then it could be sharper.

Colors are not as good as my 2005 panny plasma.

Checkerboard pattern in AR filter or whatever visible in light backgrounds.

set has about 600 houRS..

buy me back please!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts