AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting either the Panasonic SA-XR55s or the SA-XR70s for my bedroom. It will be hooked up some Panasonic speakers that are currently powered by 600W just like these two receivers output. I am mainly buying a new receiver because I would like to have optical inputs for Xbox and Playstation. I am also buying a new LCD TV. I am not sure if it would be better to have a receiver with a HDMI output for my TV or if it is really needed. I can save about $100 by getting the SA-XR55s. The current Xbox and Playstation don't even have HDMI outputs anyway so would it be a waste for me to get the SA-XR70s? If anyone has any other suggestions, please post.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the upcoming Playstation 3 do have hdmi. Since the XR70 only has hdmi 1.1 in and hdmi 1.0 out and I'm not sure of what version hdmi the new Playstation is using it is unclear of what signal is sent through (e.g HD video, multichannel audio or both).

Despite this i would still get the XR55 for its dual amp and bi-wire modes along with better speaker posts. In Australia, the XR70 is going to retail $200 more then the XR55. Not sure why. The only thing it has extra is Hdmi, bass synthesis and muli-rear mode. It lacks the dual amp mode and uses spring clips for the C, S, SB. Some has suggested that the XR70 has a better power supply but according Wayne at Audiocircles who have modded the XR70 and the XR50 (the predecessor of the XR55) the power section is basically the same.

In terms of hdmi I'll wait until the specification gets more developed before using them. iLink seems to be the better connection, allowing unaltered DVD-A and SACD signal but they are usually found in more expensive amps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.