AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again, I have narrowed down my choices to between the Panasonic rp-82 and the Pioneer dv-45A. The foremost consideration for me is DVD picture and audio quality. (I have the Sony 40XBR800) I will eventually get some decent home theatre speakers (under $1000) which will be for watching and listening to dvd movies--ie, not SACD.

Besides price, can anyone tell me the main difference between these two. I also plan to burn DVDs from my pc (Sony micro MV camcorder and digital camera memory stick), so the ability to read these is also important. I THINK the only difference is that the dv-45a plays SACD. Is this correct? I hear that the video on the rp-82 is superior to that of the dv-45A.

Any opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
-DV-45A has the chroma bug. RP-82 does not.

-RP-82 is cheaper, but does not do SACD.

-RP82 has a problem playing multichannel hi-rez DVD audio tracks. Not sure if the pioneer does or doesn't.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the rp82 play dvd's burned from a computer? I have a sony digital camcorder and camera and like to save my images to dvd.

Crutchfields' website seems to indicate the rp82 can only play images burned onto dvd via a Panasonic dvd recorder--or maybe this is for playing stuff not burned from a computer--ie, burning a tv show onto dvd.

Yes, I am new and confused.

·
Registered
41 Posts
r1lee-

According to the specs on Crutchfield the RP82 has bass management. I don't have this player so I can't say for sure.

What DAC's does the Pioneer use and why are they better? I know they are both 192/24.

NJGuy-

The RP82 can play DVD-RAM discs or DVD-R. If you have a DVD-R burner they *should* be able to play in the RP82.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The rp82 does not have bass management. It has bass enhancement. Big difference. From what I've read, the 82 has had some problems with newer DVD-A produced by WEA. Can't verify for myself though.

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
301 Posts
The 45a uses Burr-Brown DACs for it DVD-audio processing. Burr-Brown is one of the highly regarded suppliers of DACs, and they're generally used in higher end gear. But spec-wise, yes, they're both the same.

I believe for SACD they use a Sony processor, I don't know anything about it.

Mike

·
Banned
178 Posts
Otzdig is correct, they use burr brown dac's which are probably some of the best dac's for Dvd-A. Dac's you'll find on the Denon units. I believe that Bass Management is only available for DTS/DD the unit puts out, if you decide to use the decoding of the player instead. All DVD-A player will support 192/24 or else it couldn't play DVD-A 2 channel mixes properly, because those tracks in stereo are mixed in 192khz/24bit, whereas surround DVD-A is 96khz/24bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.