AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at pruchasing a new progressive DVD player to go along with my NEC XG-110 and trying to decided between the Panasonic RP-82 and 91. I can buy the 82 for about $200.00 and the 91 for about $370.00. I guess I want to know is the 91 worth that much more? Will I notice a difference between the two?

Rick

·
Registered
352 Posts
the video is a little better on the rp-82, i think the audio is better on the 91 when useing the analog out.

mark

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are going to use the interlaced output into a scalar the RP91 is better. The luma response is very good. http://www.digitalfilmforum.com/6/ub...1&m=1356072671

If you want to use the progressive out the RP82 is the way to go. The luma rolls off a little but the line doubling is great.

·
Registered
729 Posts
No.

The IScan is very good. It does a much better job than most DVD players internal de-interlacing so you may want to use the interlace out of the DVD to the IScan. Look at the opening scenes of â€Star Trek Insurrection†and make your discussion.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I am trying to figure out is if I purchase the Panasonic RP-82 DVD player should I connect it directly to my XG-110 PJ and bypass the line doubler or should I send it through my line doubler also? I do have a transcoder so I can send a component signal to my PJ. I already bypass my line doubler for my HD box so if I am going to bypass it now for my DVD player then I really see no need to keep the line doubler.

Rick

·
Registered
729 Posts
In your case go directly to your projector

·
Registered
27,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Burns
The IScan is very good. It does a much better job than most DVD players internal de-interlacing so you may want to use the interlace out of the DVD to the IScan. Look at the opening scenes of â€Star Trek Insurrection†and make your discussion.
"Most DVD players" being the operative phrase. A good DVD player with DCDi deinterlacing will do a better job than the IScan.

The gateweave during the opening credits of Star Trek Insurrection plays havoc with just about any deinterlacing. The IScan handles it just about the same as my Denon DVD-1600, not better or worse. For the rest of the movie, the DVD player is better.

The IScan is great for deinterlacing non-progressive sources like VHS or laserdisc, but I would not use it in place of getting a good progressive DVD player.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z

The IScan handles it just about the same as my Denon DVD-1600, not better or worse. For the rest of the movie, the DVD player is better.

[/b]
This would then imply that the rp82 would also do the same as the IScan, not better or worse.

jeff

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only equipment I have will by a new progressive DVD player, My High Def box and a Super VHS VCR. I think I will run both my HD box and new DVD right to my projector and that would leave only my VCR that would go through my line doubler. I think I will end up selling my line doubler as I never watch my VCR so it would be a waste of money to keep the line doubler.

Rick

·
Registered
27,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greeno
This would then imply that the rp82 would also do the same as the IScan, not better or worse.
For this particular artifact during the opening credits of this movie, yes. During the rest of the movie the DCDi in the DVD player is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.