AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a significant (yes I know it's subjective) different in picture quality between the RP56 and RP82? Does it use the same chip in the same way? Other factors?

I'm running it component to a vt540 projector with a screen size of 100"+.

I've been faily pleased with the RP56 but was wondering if by getting an RP82, or more likely a new Denon 1600, if I would notice improvement.

Thanks for your input!

· Registered
22,745 Posts
I can't anwser your question directly. However, on really good dvd's like Men in Black II Superbit I'm really hard pressed to see a difference between composite from my RP56 and 720p or 1:1 mapping via DVI from my Bravo D1 with an HT1000 on a 100" diagonal screen! The RP56 does a really good job!

· Banned
3,539 Posts
According to the big Secrets progressive DVD player shootout, there is only a couple minor improvements on the RP82/Denon1600 compared to the RP56 like cleaner subtitles - probably not enough to be noticed. Besides you can't get an RP82 they are discontinued! The Denon1600 is still available for a little while though.

· Registered
4,668 Posts
The RP82/DVD1600 are different(better) than the RP56 in a number of ways including:

1) Better MPEG decoder than in RP56. The RP56 didn't have that solid, saturated look to colors like the MPEG decoder in the RP82/RP91/CP30/XP50/DVD1600.

2) The RP56 has the CCS in the Faroudja chip turn on which causes flickering in some colored objects.

3) Image cropping on RP56. May not be as important unless you've had your geometry ISF'd.

· Banned
3,539 Posts
Can someone with the various Faroudja-based DVD players and an AVIA DVD check the AVIA's YC delay test pattern in progressive mode? See if the color rectangles appear to flicker - is this an indication of the Faroudja CCS turned on? I'd like to know which models flicker or don't flicker.

· Banned
3,539 Posts
They don't report on all the new models like the Denon 910,1200 or the new Mitsubishi DD-8020. But I just wanted someone to verify the AVIA YC delay test pattern on known models like the Denon 1600 or Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 vs RP56,RP62 to see if color bar edge flickering symptom on that test patterns correlates to the known CSS off/on state on the older models to see if if this test can be used to check for it on new models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.