AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a Panasonic RP56 with my Sharp 9000 yesterday. A review follows. I'm currently using a Pioner DV-05 interlaced output player with the Sharp 9000 DLP, projected on a Firehawk screen. My picture is generally excellent, however, I have a yearned to try a progressive player with the Sharp. A RP56 from Best Buy (with their liberal return policy) seemed like the answer.

The RP56 connected easily, I was up and running in just a few minutes. I did miss the coaxial digital output, however, that the Pioneer has. The 1st thing I noticed was that the picture was a little brighter than I was used to. I adjusted the color and pluge with Video Essentials. I quickly ran thru the "montage of images" from Video Essentials in progressive and interlaced modes. The progressive mode was oustanding and consistent with what others have reported. The interlaced output (and letting the Sharp decode either in film or 3D mode) also looked excellent, actually very close to the progressive mode, but with a few more jaggies. I must emphasize, you really had to work to find them, however, it was not as obvious as I might have thought. I'm thinking that the Sharp deinterlacer is not that bad after all.

On to some test patterns. Colors were excellent, pluge easy to set. Sharpness was good. Then I noticed something strange. On the VE menu guides, I was seeing very faint ghosting on the left and right sides of vertical lines. The menu's are bright white lines over a grey or darker background. I was seeing a faint light, dark, light band to the left and a light band to the right of the vertical lines in the menu. These were barely visible from the normal seating area, but very visible up close. I checked all the cables, plugged in and out power cables, moved the player to another spot, no change. Switched between progressive and interlaced, no change. Tried all the user picture settings and modes, again no change. Also, this "ringing" was also visible on the S-video and composite outputs, but it was the most obvious on the component output (the whole image is much sharper and with much less color bleeding). I put the pioneer back in the loop and the ghost images were 75% gone, still faintly visible, but still there (also on S-vdieo and composite output). I had noticed this before with the pioneer, and assumed this was "ringing" in the video ouput. By the way, this is different than edge enhancemet which looks more like halo's or a bubble around objects. This "ringing" I would describe more as ghosting. I have posted about "ringing vs edge enhancement" in this forum in the past. The Pioneer DV-05 apparently has "excessive ringing" as noted in the secrets of home theater review a couple years back, I think this is what I'm seeing. Also please note that the Panasonic RP56 was noted to have "minor ringing" as well in their review, but I assumed it was less than the Pioneer players, perhaps not.

I was still concerned that this might be a cable issue. I'm running 30 feet of the highest grade monster cable from the DVD player to the projector. Maybe this is too long, or I need a better cable. To test this, I hooked the RP56 and the Pioneer to the Sharp with a 2 meter component cable (also from monster) that I used to use with my RPTV. Alas, there was no change, the ghosting was still visible, worse on the panasonic RP56. Some of you might say, well it's your Sharp 9000. I don't think so, as I don't see this effect on the digital cable channels at all - all the high contrast vertical edges are without ghosting, so I think this is a DVD player issue. Damn, these new high resolution projectors really do show up the flaws in the rest of the system, from DVD authoring all the way down. Oh well, live and learn. I'm still having a hoot with my system, the quest is half the fun!!

To end the story, I packed up the RP56 and returned it to Best Buy (full refund). I learned that my Pioneer DV-05 isn't as bad perhaps as I thought. Also, the deinterlacer in the Sharp 9000 is pretty darn good. Indeed, I have watched movies every nite and really enjoyed them. BUT, the quest continues. The Panasonic RP91 with vertical and horizontal sharpness adjustment intrigues me, so much so I just ordered one from ecost.com - will arrive day after tomorrow. This unit may be my holy grail. If not, you'll see it up for sale real soon......................the saga continues.

Corey J.

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
The RP91 is a much better fit for the Sharp 9000.

I have a friend with this combo and he's quite pleased with the results. You don't even have to go that far, since the scaler & deinterlacer on the Sharp are extraordinary.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm glad you wrote your review. It gives me courage to say the following. I have a Sharp 9000 and when I first got it, I used my old Panny A310 interlaced DVD player. The picture was incredible and the de-interlacing of the Sharp seemed to be much better than widely reported IMHO. The wife wanted to keep a DVD player in the family room for casual viewing, so I bought the RP 91. To tell you the truth, there is some improvement, but less than I expected. Don't get me wrong, the picture was incredible to begin with.

Harlan

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mooneycj
.......This "ringing" I would describe more as ghosting. I have posted about "ringing vs edge enhancement" in this forum in the past. The Pioneer DV-05 apparently has "excessive ringing" as noted in the secrets of home theater review a couple years back, I think this is what I'm seeing. Also please note that the Panasonic RP56 was noted to have "minor ringing" as well in their review, but I assumed it was less than the Pioneer players, perhaps not.....

Corey J.
I found the same thing using the RP-56 with my Panny 75U. I was able to get the Philips Q50 and do a direct comparison between the two sources. The Q50 picture quality was a very noticeable leap forward in terms of picture crispness, color saturation, decreased artifacts, and elimination of that damnable "ghosting". And the sound quality is superior with the Q50 as well. The Q50 may be much more expensive at $420.00, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for.

Dave

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just recieved my RP91 from ecost.com. Preliminary viewing shows the same ghosting artifacts that I saw on the RP56 model. I'm really bummed. Otherwise the player seems excellent, but overall not a significant improvement over the Pioneer DV-05. Anybody want a 2 hour old panny RP91? Send me a PM. I'll get something posted in the classified's too.

Corey J.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The RP-56 and the RP-91 do not have any high-frequency boost that would account for the overshoot you're experiencing (assuming you're using "normal" or "user" mode on the RP-91, and not "detailed". Given that you're seeing this on both progressive players you've tried, I think it's most likely your projector's settings. Have you tried turning down the sharpness control on your projector?

Don

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don:

Thanks for your post. Yes I've tried all the different settings on the Sharp 9000. Even turning down the sharpness to -30 doesn't eliminate the "ghosting." Also, I've tried all the cinema, sharp, fine and "U" settings in the panasonic RP 91 users menu. I can still see the damned ghosting. I am stumped as to why this is occurring. I'll see if I can take some screen shots and post them so others can see what I'm seeing.

Dave:

so you have seen what I'm seeing on your Panasonic LCD? And, the Q50 eliminated or lessened this effect? Gotta get me one of those!! Anyone want to trade a Q50 for an RP91??

Corey J

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mooneycj
Dave:

so you have seen what I'm seeing on your Panasonic LCD? And, the Q50 eliminated or lessened this effect? Gotta get me one of those!! Anyone want to trade a Q50 for an RP91??

Corey J
I definitely saw it, and it was extremely difficult to eliminate even when turning the sharpness setting on the pj off. The use of the Quadscan Elite HD coupled with the RP-56 did eliminate the effect, but there were other issues with the Quadscan that I didn't like. The Q50 may still allow the ringing or ghosting, but I really can't see it with the 75U. Even though I just got my Q50 a few weeks ago, I plan on picking up the Philips 962 when it's released in the U.S. within the next week. At that point I will be putting the Q50 up for sale, at a GREAT price:)

Dave

·
Registered
819 Posts
mooneycj,

I second oferlaor's comments. If you are really seeing ghosting, then I think it's an issue of impedance matching. The output impedance of your RP-56 isn't a proper match with your Sharp through the cable you use.

First you should try a properly terminated and certified 75 Ohm cable (you're using component I assume) with excellent shielding.

If this doesn't cure it, then you should properly try a little lower impedance at first. As for how to find a lower than 75 Ohm component cable without measuring them yourself... err... I have no idea.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good thought on the cables as the cause of "ringing." However, if you go back to my original post, you'll see that I tried a different cable, into a different component input on the sharp - still had ghosting. What's really interesting is that the effect is much less with the Pioneer DV-05 DVD player, so it must be something on the front end. The ghosting doesn't disappear entirely with the pioneer, but is much better than with the Panasonic. Also, I can see the ghosting when using S-video and composite inputs as well, but these inputs are without ghosting with Cox digital cable. Therefore I don't think it's a cable issue. I still may try another brand of short component cable just to be sure (both of the other tests were with the "best" monster cable).

BTW, I continue to be impressed with the de-interlacer in the Sharp 9000 unit. I see much less combing artifacts when running my interlaced player into the sharp vs progressive from the panasonic. The only thing the RP56 did better than the interlaced output Pioneer (and the progressive output RP91 for that matter) was pass the flag waving test on video essentials (no jaggies). Also, the Pioneer DV-05 is every bit as good as the Panasonic (RP56 or RP 91) in terms of picture quality. The reason I am trying new DVD players is to wring the maximum performance out of my Sharp 9000. What I've learned is that I may already be there.

Corey J

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took my Video Essentials DVD to my dealer and viewed it on a couple of other DVD players. First a Yamaha 5 disc changer component input to a Yamaha DLP 1. The "ghosting" was still present and about as objectionable as what was seen with the Panasonic RP56 and RP 91. Next we tried a Pioneer Elite DV-37 thru a Lexicon preamp into a Runco (980 I think) projector. The ghosting was not visible here because the minor fringing due to convergance misalignment obscurred the sharp borders of the menus.

Conclusions:

1. My cables, projector and DVD player are probably OK

2. My picture is better than anything I can view in the dealers showroom (still would like to see another Sharp 9000 to compare to, however).

3. Maybe this "ghosting" is just inherent in the disc

4. Just enjoy the movie, quit looking for flaws!!

5. Still havn't found the "perfect" DVD player.

Corey J

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree. The 'perfect' DVD player eludes us all. Did you say that the 962 is coming out soon? I have also been through the rp56 and the Q50. Looks like you have tried pretty much everything. Have you ever thought of the Kenwoods 5700/5900? I have seen $899 for the 5700 at Tweeter. I wish there was a way to try them without buying them. You do need a Sharp 9000 comparison.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
CLK,

The Krell Standard DVD player at ~$8K, new Faroudja DVD player with built-in Native Rate Processor at~$10K, and loaded Arye at ~$16K may be players that are "perfect".

But ............. good luck affording them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.