AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've had a Panny RP62 for over a year now, which I picked up for about $85. I've recently moved to a FP setup, which also has an DVI/HDMI input, which piqued my interest in matching my DVD player to my Denon receiver.

The most I can afford right now is about $275, and at $249, the DVD-1910 is about right. My question is whether or not it will be a significant improvement over my already nice RP62?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
1910 dont have HDMI, only DVI.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark-007
Hey everyone. I've had a Panny RP62 for over a year now, which I picked up for about $85. I've recently moved to a FP setup, which also has an DVI/HDMI input, which piqued my interest in matching my DVD player to my Denon receiver.

The most I can afford right now is about $275, and at $249, the DVD-1910 is about right. My question is whether or not it will be a significant improvement over my already nice RP62?
I have seen the 1910 many places online for just over 200$, though whether they are all authorized dealers is something you need to watch for warranty purposes . Some feel the savings is worth and some of the online places offer optional warranties fairly cheap, though again purchase at your own risk on the warranty also. I have done both the online thing and lots of B&M shopping and so far all has been well. Some savy people have shopped around for good 3rd party warranty providers. I do however, often not feel the saving if its within 50 bucks on an expensive item to buy local for personal support and service.

HiFri Buys/Tweeter is very often close to online pricing when the desired component is new.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the DVD-1910 is returned. The Macroblocking is HORRID with this player. A good example is the intro credits to Signs, where the credits fade in and out.

Horrible picture quality from a player that had such promise. My RP62 is much smoother with better color transitions.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wish I had merely dreamed, I spent an unnecessary, X amount of money, trying to improve pic quality of Panasonic RP 62 ! Money spent....still using RP 62 and RP 56. Remember this, when you start trying for a better picture...don't get hung-up, on the notion of "progressive scan", when using your RP62. Then, RE-READ the manual :D

Panasonic RP 62 is successor to RP 56. RP 56 was priced, close to $300.00, when it was first introduced. Both have DCDI processing. I have one RP 62 and two RP 56. They are so close in build quality, I use the same settings, when I interchange them, with monitor or projector. I'm a RP 62 fan!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark-007
Well, the DVD-1910 is returned. The Macroblocking is HORRID with this player. A good example is the intro credits to Signs, where the credits fade in and out.

Horrible picture quality from a player that had such promise. My RP62 is much smoother with better color transitions.
Yup, I popped in a Star Trek Voyager dvd and during the opening credit of the spaceship flying through the sun, it was literally banding in layers of macroblocking, really really bad.

On the other hand, depending on your displays technology and resolution I am told some people did not think it was bad.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a DVD-1600 for $150 from Tweeters. It's basically a Panny RP-82. My RP62's motor seems to be going, so I was hoping the 1910 would make a decent replacement, but I guess the 1600 will take its place instead.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Beware the Denon DVD-1600 has the same old defective spindle motor design as the RP62 and RP82! Get an Xp30 or Xp50 which has a newer non-defective spindle motor. The older time-tested classic players are still the best, these new upconverting players have too many problems!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.