AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onecall is out of stock on the Panasonic RP82 until Janurary and they claim that Panasonic may be rethinking the RP82 model and there could be a change in the works, but no details. Onecall is pushing the multi-disc CP72 but you need an optical input on your receiver and some people, like myself, would prefer a single disc player. Onecall has a great price of $206 with free shipping on the RP82.

Best Buy, Circuit City and Tweeter never carried the RP82. Some places like J&R, have dropped the RP82 and Crutchfield may have them in stock but I wonder for how long, and their unattractive price is LIST at $229 plus shipping with no rebate or discount.

Anyone out there with knowledge of Panasonic's plan regards the RP82 or its replacement?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I had ordered a couple of RP82s from J&R a couple of months ago. When I tried to order one last week, my salesman said that it was marked discontinued by the distributor, but he suspected (not knew) that it was marked that way because they were in such short supply and the distributor couldn't get any.

I ended up getting one from One Call for a little over $200 shipped before OC ran out of them. Strange that none of the B&M stores don't carry the RP82 given its popularity.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Wow, you're not kidding about the RP82 being in extremely short supply. I just checked Crutchfield and they too are out of stock, although their website says that they expect some more in tomorrow (somehow I doubt that).

I managed to pick up the absolute last RP82 at my local Fry's Electronics in Manhattan Beach, CA, just now for $229 - I don't mind paying MSRP, as my new RPTV is scheduled to be delivered in 3 days and I *MUST* have a DVD player ready and waiting. :) I checked Goodguys, Best Buy, Circuit City, Pacific Sales, and a myriad of smaller stores here in the south Los Angeles area and none of them stock the RP82. It really is a hard beast to find.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ultimate Electronics in Arlington, Tx has them. I called today, Talk to Frank. Tell him Michael sent you.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
A saleman at Video Only in the Seattle area says they have "no trouble getting them" and their price is $219 - not too bad. I still opted for the CP72K because I needed (WAF) black. Video Only's price for the CP72 was $239 so I got it off the internet.

Tim

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
One of my Panasonic distribs told me today that yes, the RP82 is discontinued; possibly because of supply problems. He said Panny is lowering the price of the RP72 5 disc changer to match that of the 82; and on paper they are supposedly the same, performance-wise.

Eric

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't it curious that the Consumer Electronics Show will be in Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2003. I haven't seen any new Panasonic products yet.

http://www.cesweb.org/for_press_anal...ts/default.asp

Also, we have the following chip just ready to be exploited by a new Panasonic DVD player. Wouldn't CES be the official place where its announced?

http://www.sageinc.com/products/C0702-OVR-01A.PDF

Personally, I would love to have a RP82 replacement, in black, with the FLI2300 and the potential for greater aspect ratio control and scaling.

Just pure speculation but it might be worth waiting a month to find out.

Gary

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
There is absolutely no shortage of RP82's in the Toronto area, if you go to the right place.

Since the RP82 bears no physical resemblance to the RP82 introduced at the last CES (and my huge thanks to Panny for their changes, one of which, the lack of coaxial digital output, had been a real stickler for me based on the CES info), the existing RP82 could be left unchanged and re-introduced.

BTW, for anybody who doesn't get out much, everything is going silver, and that which isn't already will be soon. I say it's about time, after 24 years of having black stuff myself. I won't buy anything anymore if it's black, made that rule 2 years ago, so not everybody is unhappy about the "color change".

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
I just checked Crutchfield and they too are out of stock, although their website says that they expect some more in tomorrow (somehow I doubt that).
Just checked their website, now it states that they won't have any stock until 12/24...even this might be optimistic.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Maybe pani will make a RP93 in 2003, a replacement for the RP91 with all the best chipsets and the built quality and scaling feature of the 91. Now that would be cool!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I am glad that I got mine...

VERY PLEASED WITH THE DVD QUALITY & THE CD AUDIO REMASTER FEATURE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.