AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although there is much talk on this forum about the infamous RP82, the CP72 5-disc DVD changer apparently has the same specifications, minus the coaxial digital audio out port.

Since it is not using a coaxial audio output, does that mean that the CP72

only uses RCA analog outs? or is there also a digital optical out

connector? What do you think about the noticable difference in audio

quality if I had to use standard analog outs vs. the coaxial output? It

seems people put a preference on the coaxial output for 5.1 DTS audio.

How do you rate the CD audio quality on the unit? I would like to sell my

cd player and just use this one dvd player for both, but most forums here rate the cd sound quality as average.

The CP-72 is the same player as the RP-82, minus a coaxial output, but

with a 5-disc capacity as opposed to 1. With the current $30 rebate, it can be had for up to $60 less than the RP-82.

So if you don't need a coaxial output, is there any reason at all to buy the RP-82 over the CP-72?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drooth

connector? What do you think about the noticeable difference in audio

The 72 has an optical digital output while the 82 has both coax and optical digital outputs.

Quote:

So if you don't need a coaxial output, is there any reason at all to buy the RP-82 over the CP-72?
A changer is more mechanically complex with more moving parts which increases the possibility of a breakdown.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The CP72 is also several inches deeper to accomodate the bigger tray, and if I remember correctly, the front display is smaller, and it is available in silver or BLACK. I bought the CP72 to get the black.

In addition to the coax audio out (coax cable is more available and less expensive than optical), the RP82 also has a shuttle dial on the front where the CP72 does not.

According to Panasonic's website , the MSRP of the CP72 ($279.95) is $50 more than that of the RP82 ($229.95).

Tim

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The CP72 seems to be easier to come by. B&M stores even carry it ( Circuitcity/Walmart). Whilst the RP82 is harder to get than enriched uranium now-a-days.

Gus

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 82 also has the "remaster" function, which the 72 does not. The display on the 72 is smaller and you have to toggle back and forth to between the time and chapter displays. The 72 is huge compared with the 82 (it's as big as my LD player). It is around 7 inches deeper and also weighs twice as much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nekobus
A changer is more mechanically complex with more moving parts which increases the possibility of a breakdown.
Agreed. After reading the reviews of nearly all the DVD changers posted on AutoReview over two years - it would seem all late-model DVD changers have "seemingly" greater failure rates than comparable single disc units. Even though this is not even remotely statistically accurate crosssampling, it was enough to swear me off DVD changers for a while.

Just read some posts on the Pioneer Elite C36, onkyo c601, etc. And those were decent midrange players! Scary...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drooth

connector?
There is an toslink optical output for pcm, dd (ac3), and dts. DVD-A is available only from the analog RCAs.

Quote:
What do you think about the noticable difference in audio

some users with A/V receivers or pre/pros like the digital out for doing bass management in the digital domain. some external pre/pros or receivers can only do bass management in the digital domain. In that case you either DON'T get bass management, or your have to redigitize the analog inputs. Why have an extra D/A-->A/D step if you don't need to? It might adversely effect the sound quality.

Plus, the DAC chips and the implementation of the analog stages in their outboard DAC/receiver/(pre/pro) may be sonically superior to the DAC chips and analog stages of the RP82.

I suspect it's a combination of the above two...

Quote:
How do you rate the CD audio quality on the unit? I would like to sell my

cd player and just use this one dvd player for both, but most forums here rate the cd sound quality as average.
If I had to descibe the sound of the RP82 in one word, "average" might come to mind. (describing the analog outputs of the RP82) It's a decent "2D" type sound. It throws a sound stage, but it really has no depth. The sonic images aren't really palpable, and their missing a little texture. Sure there's some detail. But it isn't "bright." It doesn't really sound "veiled", sort of a "gray" sonic coloration, perhaps. The word I want to say is "opaque." The music is there, and it *wants* to come out, but it feels held back. It's missing the execution that a more high-end player would have.

The potenial is there. I feel this unit might be GREAT unit if it were modded (Kern, Wright, Ric Schultz-type mods, etc). It's as if matushita _started_ designing the player, but _lost_ interest. The "chips" are there but the "implementation" was only roughly executed. This player does sound OK, but it _should_ sound better than it does. The RP 82 should "go to therapy" and learn to "apply itself", LOL!

I wouldn't be so critical if I didn't have anything better to compare it to. It would probably make a decent CD player, if you aren't looking for anything high end.

I haven't compared it to comparable Sony or Toshiba DVD players.

Quote:
... So if you don't need a coaxial output, is there any reason at all to buy the RP-82 over the CP-72?
Well not if DVD carousel changer mechanisms don't scare you! (Unfortunately they DO scare me. But I complete faith in my Cd changer. go figure).

What initially sold _me_ on the RP82: (vs _any_ DVD player)

- great MPEG decoder (shared with CP72, RP91)

- great looks, I LOVE the shiny silver look

And to a *much* lesser extent: smooth drawer operation, DD, DTS decoders, DVD-Audio, Coaxial S/PDIF PCM output. If I wanted to use the unit with with my DAC, it only has coax. Plus I think it looks better than the CP72 changer, even though they share the same MPEG decoder. But ultimately, it came down to the looks (vs. CP72 or any DVD player) and the MPEG decoder (vs *any* DVD player).

(Edit: 12/11/02 20:44 EST -0500, clarified that the RP82 and CP72 have the same MPEG decoder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
But ultimately, it came down to the looks and the MPEG decoder.
FYI. From everything I have read, heard, and seen, the rp-82 and cp-72 have the exact same MPEG decoders.

Hurtz777 even took a picture of it HERE as proof.

Basically, if you worried about changer reliability, coaxial out, etc.. fine. But don't count out the cp-72 because of the MPEG decoder.

By the way, if I am just totally wrong about this, I won't be offended if someone corrects me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by C Hall
FYI. From everything I have read, heard, and seen, the rp-82 and cp-72 have the exact same MPEG decoders.

Hurtz777 even took a picture of it HERE as proof.

Basically, if you worried about changer reliability, coaxial out, etc.. fine. But don't count out the cp-72 because of the MPEG decoder.

By the way, if I am just totally wrong about this, I won't be offended if someone corrects me.
Ah, I see my flow of writing sucks, LOL. I guess that came out wrong. I meant compared to _any_ dvd player, not just versus the CP72. I'm sure the CP72 shares the same MPEG decoder, and would probably be indistinguishable to me against the RP82. I guess the flow of my prose could use a little work. My only real knock against the CP72 is the fact it's a DVD changer. It's a minor subconscience reliability concern (that DVD changer == POS) on my part. I do think the RP82 looks a tad better than the CP72, but that isn't why I passed it up for the RP82.

Plus, I wanted to get the EXACT SAME MODEL that everyone else was getting. Just in case something was found out to be special about the RP82 that the CP72 didn't possess. (Like a tweak, firmware hack, performance modification, etc.)

Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All very interesting messages!

I feel that the DVD changer issue on the 72 will make itself known to me within the first year, which is what the standard warranty on this unit is. If so, send it back.

I just ordered a CP72 from crutchfield, open box. Does anyone have any advice on these kinds of units? Are they fully functional and well tested? I saved abit on the unit price, plus with a $20 coupon and a $30 rebate, I am looking at a really inexpensive dvd player! Much less than the RP82.

I currently have an Adcom GCD-575 CD player; one of the best players ever made (it's from 1990!). I have an ebay auction going for it, because I was going to replace it with the CP72. Should I keep the CD player? I really want a CD changer and the CP72 has that; this adcom CD player is a single disc tray. Note that the adcom does have a digital and analog out. Again, if I keep the Adcom, less wear and tear on the CP72. Thoughts?

Just one other thought: Buy the CP72 because it's considerably cheaper and dont use the changer feature! Just keep one disc in it at all times.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would say keep your adcom CD player for CD playback and use the Cp72 for DVDs and DVD Audio playback. Don't be scared to use the changer because that is what it is there for.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Interesting how the cd-changer as less reliable topic continues to pop-up year after year. Please allow me to insert my $.02. I have personally have had 5 carousel/changers in my lifetime. The original Yamaha I bought in 1991 had the laser die (after 7 years) before the changer did. The Pioneer I bought for my office had the laser die before the changer did. The replacement Pioneer is still chugging along. The other Yamaha carousel I owned was sold because I got bored with it. The Kenwood DV-5700 I have now as one of my players has never given me a problem. The point is that if you are on this forum, you will probably upgrade to a new player or format before the player fails. Also, in many cases with lower priced players, the life of the laser is more often the limiting factor than the other parts within it. Get what you want, and enjoy it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has it been established, without a doubt, that these two players are identical when it comes to electronics? I've heard it said both ways.

I'd much prefer the black finish, and although aesthetically I'd rather have a single-disc player, I'd have to give the nod to the 72.

I don't want to get it if there is even a small difference in electronics.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There is no difference in hardware between the RP82 and CP72 and I have proved it with pictures. Get the CP72 and be happy with the many years of DVD enjoyment it will give you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 3 year old Sony DVP-S360 has really been acting up lately, it doesn't want to read my mostly new DVDs...giving me the well documented 13:00:00 error.

Based on feedback I've read here, yesterday I ordered the CP-72 in black from OneCall, it will end up costing around $210 after the $30 mail in rebate. Hopefully it will be here by Tuesday. Should I expect a significant improvement in both video and audio performance over the Sony S360?

Thanks for all the excellent advice guys!

Sean

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MM629
Interesting how the cd-changer as less reliable topic continues to pop-up year after year. Please allow me to insert my $.02.
My .02 is that my second CD player was a Sony 5 disc changer, purchased in '87 or '88, which is still working fine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
SeanL,

You will be amazed by the hude difference in picture quality. The image will be much sharper and focused, better color saturation, chroma bug free, and the have the best progressive scan or interlaced picture that $210 can buy!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Continuing the thread, I had read somewhere on avsforum that this particular unit does not pair up well with the Sony HS10 LCD projector. The image quality is not sharp, based on what I read.

To use this DVD player with a projector is exactly what I had intended when I purchased the unit!

Although I have not purchased a projector yet, can someone chime in with some details on this??

I have not heard how it performs with the AE300 panasonic projector, my other consideration. Anyone have info on that?

Thanks for any replies. This is a serious consideration and a big factor when purchasing a big ticket item like a projector.

·
Registered
418 Posts
drooth,

I have an AE300 and a RP82 and it is my opinion that the combination works great. Several other forum members also have this combination and they all seem to be very pleased as well. You might want to do a search on the under $5K projector forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.