AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the rp82 from Crutchfields(seems to be quite a run on this machine) to pair up with my 40xbr800. Can somebody tell me what is the best setting to use to take advatage of the faroudja/sage chip? Do I use "progressive out" on the dvd? What setting(s) do I need to set my 40xbr800 to(I am not referring to the brightness, etc nuances but rather the DRC and Pro, Standard, Vivid, etc settings on the tv)?

I have top end component cables.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got the same setup as you, 40XBR800 and a Panny RP-82. Use the Progressive out on the Panny, otherwise you are not using the Faroudja chip at all. You need to activate Progressive out in the Panny's set up menu, and then press the Progressive button on the front of the player. As far as what levels that is kind of hard to judge not knowing your lighting conditions, AVIA or VE should help you and maybe you can find someone who will just lend you the disc. Pro, Vivid, Standard are not really DRC settings they are just preset levels of the basic video patterns. I think Standard and Pro are the closest to reference levels.

I am curious as to what, if anything, I need to change on the RP-82 for the 16x9 auto detect mode? And, how can I tell if the Auto Detect mode is actually working?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the rp82 was known for its farouda/sage chip de-interlacer? Do I still use "progressive out" on the dvd to utilize this? Does the 40xbr800 has some kind of interlaced or DRC mode that should be used in conjunction with a proper setting on the dvd?

man, this stuff is confusing?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Set up the RP82 as follows in the setup menu...

1) Aspect Ratio = 16:9

2) Black = Lighter

Then under Display setting for Pitcure mode, select Normal.

These settings give you the best place to start with the DVD outputting a native resolution signal with a flat IRE signal as far as blacks and whites.

The TV should automatically configure/sync itself when you send it a 480i interlaced or 480p progressive signal. Try switching between the two and watching different DVDs to see which provides the best image.

Good luck with your new player.

RJ

·
Registered
272 Posts
I thought the rp82 was known for its farouda/sage chip de-interlacer? Do I still use "progressive out" on the dvd to utilize this?

NJGUY2002

Yes, to utilize the Faroudja Chip you need to be outputing a progressive signal from the RP-82. The Faroudja Chip is a "De-Interlacer" if you don't send a progressive signal from the RP-82 you are sending an Interlaced signal, and the Faroudja Chip hasn't touched it (Hence why the Chip is called a de-interlacer, it takes the Interlaced signal, de-interlaces it, and outputs a progressive signal)

If you don't output a progressive signal from the RP-82, the 3:2 pulldown processor/de-interlacer in the TV can convert the signal to progressive, but it is better to have it come straight from the source, because the Faroudja de-interlaces in the digital domain, instead of de-interlacing from the analog video signal.

I use the interlaced picture mode on the 40XBR800, the Cinemotion pic mode is for Interlaced signals from a non-progressive scan DVD player, I haven't played around with the Progressive Picture Mode, but flip between that and the Interlaced Mode to see which you prefer. Remember these are just modes and do not actually process the signal (i.e. converting 480i/480p) Only the Cinemotion pic mode converts the signal.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a question. I am on the verge of purchasing this DVD player. My current DVD player is about 3 years old. Its a Sony DVP something I forget and it was 399.99. I currently have a Sony Trinitron 27inch. I won't be getting a new TV until January. So Im curious, will the RP82 still give me a better image than what I already have? My Trinitron doesn't have component video or progressive scan. So will the RP82 still give me a better picture or can that only be utilized with progressive scan in the TV? In Janury I will buy the Toshiba 32inch HDTV. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The RP82 will give you a much sharper and more colorful picture then your 3 yr old Sony DVD player no matter if it is via progressive scan or not. I used to have a Sony DVP-S3000 which was Sony's first generation interlaced DVD player and my CP72(Same hardware as RP82)was much more 3D, sharper, and had more saturated colors even via SVideo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.