Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Since my Panny RP-91 DVD player is still being fixed I'm bouncing from DVD player to player, on the graces of those who will lend them to me. Right now I've got my father-in-law's Panasonic RV-30 DVD player.

I thought this was a relatively recent model. Am I wrong? It doesn't even seem to offer progressive scan. I didn't even know there WAS a dvd player that didn't output progressive scan anymore. What gives? (I've scanned the manual and there is no mention of a progressive scan setting).

Also, I'm truly surprised how soft the image is. Given what I'm used to seeing on my display I don't even want to watch movies with the thing.

(I've gone through the meager settings this thing offers, but nothing budges the picture quality).

Can anyone enlighten me on this player?

Much thanks.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm, just searched through some threads. I have a feeling I'm mixing this player up with the XP-30, and that the RV30 I'm using is an older player. (If so, boy have DVD players progressed). Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have that player, and while I am looking to upgrade, I've always been happy with the picture. It doesn't have progressive scan. I've had it a few years now.

It plays through my 37" Panasonic ED plasma. From what you're saying, I could probably benefit substantially from a new player.

Basically I'm saving up for a Linn Classik Movie system or an Arcam DVD player and receiver.

C.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris,

Yes, from my experience of the RV30, it's definitely been left in the dust by the newer players.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Could be worse. I've got a RV20. But I've also got an idle Iscan I was thinking of pairing it with to make a pseudo- xp30. How is the MPEG decoder in the RV20/30 series? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I would assume that the RV30 is similar to that of the RV31 and RV32.

Since it doesn't have progressive, the RV series does already imply that because RP refers to the Progressive series.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had same player since 99... it's fine for what it is (non progessive), but anyone who subscribes to this forum will be disappointed with this machine...

Incidentally, it has component output which I never quite understood

·
Registered
479 Posts
Can anyone comment on the MPEG decoder chip of these RV series players? MPEG decoding and de-interlacing are separate processes (but done on one chip in many CURRENT players), so MPEG decoding does not equal de-interlacing. Well, except for HTPC's where the decoded MPEG signal is NOT then immeadiately interlaced only to be deinterlaced by the subsequent de-interlacing chip as in DVD players.

A well decoded interlaced signal may be getting poorly de-interlaced/scaled by the display and the RV30 is getting blamed when actually it's the display.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The MPEG decoder for all of the RV and RP models were designed inhouse by Panasonic. The differences between the models should only be impacted by the analog stage and whether it includes a deinterlacer. The RP91 that Rich H. used for comparision had a genesis deinterlacer (not as good as the Silicon Image or the Faroudja deinterlacer).

So I guess the deinterlacer in the Plasma set is very average.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
That's his preferred setup: Panasonic RP91 --> Nordost S-video --> 42" Panasonic 4UY plasma.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The player is newer than his RP91, therefore he expected it to offer progressive scan like his RP91. But it doesn't and that's why he is... perplexed.

Go to the Plasma Forum and check out the section on "Steaming Rat...". I believe Rich posted his setup somewhere in there or in his picture gallery. If not, you can take my word for it -- as Rich will confirm this setup.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Joe,

"..... Nordost S-video ......"

Ummmmmmm ..... I was beginning to think that I was the only one on this forum who has ever heard of, or uses, Nordost Super-Optix video cabling.

I use it in component form and S-Video form. I even use an S-Video chunk of it running from my VCR. I proved (to myself) that the Nordost S-Video was superior by doing simultaneous side-by-side A/B comparisons of it using the split-screen function and two inputs on my RPTV. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.