AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to eithier do one of these 2 things later today:

1) Purchase a Panasonic G10 from BB.com($1400), and not have it ISF calibrated, because i don't wan't eithier option to be hitting the $2000 range.

or

2)Purchase a Panasonic S1 from Bb.com($1200), and have it ISF calibrated in the next month.

I have read so many reviews(by far the best was Chad's on this forum on the G10), and it seems that while the G10 has the THX mode, when it's calibrated, the best mode to do so in is in custom.

But i can do the same with the S1 and save some $200.

I really don't have use for a pc input(and if so, i'd hardly use it), and i see no benefits of xv color and sub pixel features of the G10.

It would be like having a few features that i won't have use for, at the cost of $200+tax.

If i opt for #2, i can throw that $200 into a ISF calibration, to make the S1 basically picture perfect.

Basically i want the best PQ of eithier of these models at the cheapest cost.

I'm leaning towards a S1 and a ISF calibration, which would give me the best PQ of those two Panasonic 50" models, at the cheapest cost.

Is this the logical choice?

TIA

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Anyone have any first hand experience?

·
Registered
272 Posts
LOL, welcome to the question everyone is trying to figure out!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipO38 /forum/post/17040418

I'm going to eithier do one of these 2 things later today:

1) Purchase a Panasonic G10 from BB.com($1400), and not have it ISF calibrated, because i don't wan't eithier option to be hitting the $2000 range.

or

2)Purchase a Panasonic S1 from Bb.com($1200), and have it ISF calibrated in the next month.

I have read so many reviews(by far the best was Chad's on this forum on the G10), and it seems that while the G10 has the THX mode, when it's calibrated, the best mode to do so in is in custom.

But i can do the same with the S1 and save some $200.

I really don't have use for a pc input(and if so, i'd hardly use it), and i see no benefits of xv color and sub pixel features of the G10.

It would be like having a few features that i won't have use for, at the cost of $200+tax.

If i opt for #2, i can throw that $200 into a ISF calibration, to make the S1 basically picture perfect.

Basically i want the best PQ of eithier of these models at the cheapest cost.

I'm leaning towards a S1 and a ISF calibration, which would give me the best PQ of those two Panasonic 50" models, at the cheapest cost.

Is this the logical choice?

TIA

Personally I would choose the calibrated S1 over an uncalibrated G10 with the condition that the calibration be done by someone who really knows what they are doing!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wish I could find a place to view the G10 and S1 side by side. Otherwise, a definitive answer on whether the G10 color is more accurate than the S1

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan102 /forum/post/17142113

Saturn, why would you choose that?

My perception is a more accurate picture can be achieved by a competent professional on the S1 than a user can on a G10. Keep in mind my experience with these Panasonic sets is somewhat limited. Most of what I know about them is what I've read on these forums.

It would be nice if one of our well known calbrators who's intimately familiar with the capabilities of these sets could chime in.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 /forum/post/17142183

My perception is a more accurate picture can be achieved by a competent professional on the S1 than a user can on a G10. Keep in mind my experience with these Panasonic sets is somewhat limited. Most of what I know about them is what I've read on these forums.

It would be nice if one of our well known calbrators who's intimately familiar with the capabilities of these sets could chime in.

Yes, it would!

Someone to definitively say that out of the box G10 or S1 are the same or not

·
Registered
11 Posts
The local BB doesn't even have a 42" G10...can I compare the 50" S1 to the 50" G10 and apply that to the 42"? Again $175 or so more, I'd much rather save the money and apply it to something else like a speaker system!

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panabolic /forum/post/17142117

I wish I could find a place to view the G10 and S1 side by side. Otherwise, a definitive answer on whether the G10 color is more accurate than the S1

HH Gregg had this exact setup and I could not tell any difference in the picture, and the picture was not that good in the store on either set. But when I got the set home wow! I was very happy I bought the S1 and saved the $200. Once I applied Sadmakers offsets to my 46S1 I have been very very pleased with the picture quality.

To me the main difference between the 2 sets is the addtion of Vierra Cast on the G10, that I now have with my BD60 Bluray Player. The picture quality potential is basicly the same on both sets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts