AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are following the interesting XR45...I just purchased one from computers4sure.com. If you do a google search on computers4sure and coupon you will find a $20 off of $200 coupon for computers4sure. Free shipping and no tax in most states. Brings your price down to $278.95.


The site lists it as out of stock. But they get a few in every couple of days and ship them off as they come in to those on the wait list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
dm, thanks for the heads up. Are you goin to be using this unit with your HTPC? If so via analog or digital?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unit arrives monday. I plan on using with my HTPC which has a MAudio revolution sound card. I plan on primarly only using the SPDIF digital out for 2 channel and hometheater sound.


The only time I plan on using the analog outs is for multichannel gaming and the possiblitly of multichannel WM9 file playback out the HTPC. Since the XR45 cannot decode those formats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Thx. You've answered some of my posts before concerning questions on the analong outs of the Revo with Zoomplayer. Looks like you will be going the SPDIF route for DVD's now. Just curious--how do you think DD-EX will perform as opposed to Vitrual 7.1 from the Revo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
Thx. You've answered some of my posts before concerning questions on the analong outs of the Revo with Zoomplayer. Looks like you will be going the SPDIF route for DVD's now. Just curious--how do you think DD-EX will perform as opposed to Vitrual 7.1 from the Revo?
This is a $278 experiment to see if things are better. But yes I am looking foward to going to the SPDIF route.


I started with a HTPC and a Audigy. My Onkyo DS595 receiver had better sounding DAC's so I used SPDIF out from the audigy. I then got a MAudio Revolution. The Revo DAC's (IMHO) where better than my Onkyo. So I went with analog out of the Revo. I even got a 2 channel parasound HCA1000A amp to drive the front two speakers. Using the Revo/HTPC as a preamp to power my "power amps".


I now feel that the XR45, when fed a digital input, will likely sound better than my current "Revo/HTPC/analog out as a preamp to power amplifier" setup. So it is back to SPDIF digital out at least as a experiment.


Seems like the audio technlogy keep leapfrogging back and forth as to where the best DAC or DD/DTS function function should be performed.


we will see.......after monday when the hardware arrives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Good luck with the XR45. Heard nothing but good reviews from the unit. I just upgraded my Denon 3200 to a H/K 7200 and think the digital in sounds better. However, I'm back to stuttering problems with dvds from the HTPC when SPDIF is used....had been going strong with absolutely no stuttering using analong out. Still have the manual filter graph for Zoomplayer for Cineplayer Video, WinDVD Audio, ffdshow and reclock? :) I need to dig this back up I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
Good luck with the XR45. Heard nothing but good reviews from the unit. I just upgraded my Denon 3200 to a H/K 7200 and think the digital in sounds better. However, I'm back to stuttering problems with dvds from the HTPC when SPDIF is used....had been going strong with absolutely no stuttering using analong out. Still have the manual filter graph for Zoomplayer for Cineplayer Video, WinDVD Audio, ffdshow and reclock? :) I need to dig this back up I think.
use zoomplayer pro now. no graphs required. Is automatic selection from the DVD setup menu under zoomplayer now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still breaking it in. So far it is clearly better for the vocal type music that I listen to like enya and diana krall. I have not had much of a chance to listen to it for HT yet.


My onkyo DS595 receiver and parasound HCA 1000A THX are now sitting on the floor out of the rack. Also I have switched from analog out of my HTPC MAudio Revolution to SPDIF out into the XR45. The XR45 is clearly better when fed from digital sources as others have noted.


The speaker wire spring clips are a real challenge for using any wire that is larger than 18 Ga. I went to best buy and purchased (ech...) monster flex tip speaker wire connectors:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat08055


Even with the "flex tips" I had to use a needle nose pliers to crush the ends of the monster flex tips to soften them up for the jam into the panny clips.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,419 Posts
I know this might sound weird, but how hard would it be to open up the Panny and mod it with larger speaker wire binding posts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dm
still breaking it in. So far it is clearly better for the vocal type music that I listen to like enya and diana krall. I have not had much of a chance to listen to it for HT yet.


My onkyo DS595 receiver and parasound HCA 1000A THX are now sitting on the floor out of the rack. Also I have switched from analog out of my HTPC MAudio Revolution to SPDIF out into the XR45. The XR45 is clearly better when fed from digital sources as others have noted.


The speaker wire spring clips are a real challenge for using any wire that is larger than 18 Ga. I went to best buy and purchased (ech...) monster flex tip speaker wire connectors:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat08055


Even with the "flex tips" I had to use a needle nose pliers to crush the ends of the monster flex tips to soften them up for the jam into the panny clips.
I have these connectors on my speaker selector and find them to be a little to long. Has anyone ever clipped a little off the end of them? I did not try to shove the end of the wire in w/ pliers though, might try that w/ the Panasonic when it arrives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not shove the wire in with pliers, I used the piliers to crush and soften the flex tips. Out of the box the monster flex tips have a stiff tip that does not give much as you try and jam it into the spring clip holes.


I would be careful about using tools to jam the wire into the spring clips, they seem fragile and might break if you are not careful. By hand is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
a dumb noob question; are they using only the 45 to biamp? or are they using it as as 2nd amp w/another reciever?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Computers4sure just canceled my xr45 order of Feb 24 with a "discontinued." It had been out of stock when I placed the order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the XR45 unavailable online recently? I have been waiting for some things to come together prior to making the purchase, and now that I am ready, I cannot find this thing to save my life.


Does anyone know what is going on?
 
1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top