AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owners of the panasonic sa-xr50 , I really need some help. :(

- I hooked everything up and I can get picture, but no sound.

I am not runnning 6.1, but I am running 5.1 setup.

I did do a test sound and all my speakers are properly connected. :)

My HD Tuner and DvD player both get picture, but no sound on either one. The manual is awful of explaining and I tried to called Panasonic tech service and it is like not possibable to get through. ALways a busy tone,,, never even got it for the last hour.

So I was wondering if anyone that owns the Xr50 can call me or I can call you to see if you can guide me through to get sound.

My DvD Player is using Tos-Link and the Hd Tuner is Coaxial.

I can get sound from my AM/FM signal, but nothing else seems to work as for sound. I did go through the signal setup and I thought I set up the sound correctly, but maybe something is the settings I am not doing. So may I or someone can help me out?

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks if any one can help me :(

· Banned
529 Posts
I have an XR-50. Not sure what you're coming from and what type of HD receiver and DVD player you have, so my suggestions may be inappropriate. But, as a first start, have you configured your HD receiver and DVD player to emit DD to the digital optical or coaxial output, either PCM or Bitstream. Then, in the XR-50 have you enabled the appropriate digital optical or coaxial input connection to the corresponding input selection. If I remember correctly, by default the coaxial 1 input is for DVD and the optical 1 input is for TV/DBS. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. :)

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aka,

Thanks for the tip. I actually found some things out.

The dvd player only can be hooked-up by sound either using coaxial or SACD, not optical. WHich that was what I was trying to do.

But I ran a coaxial wire from the dvd player to the xr50 and set my dvd player setting to raw pcm.

As for my HD Tuner. Still no sound. I ran the optical cable from my hd tuner to the Optical 1 on the amp. Still no sound even after setting the settings on the Xr50. I then thought maybe I have to set the sound setting on my HD tuner and nope, no sound settings to set it to :( . But it has a optical hookup. My bottom dollar says something might be wrong with the HD tuner or the Xr50 does not like it. But I did ttest my optical cable w/ my dvd player running on the TV swtich and set it to optical 1 and got sound from the dvd player. So my optical cable is not bad. I will probably get another tuner, Maybe the LG dvd player/HD tuner combo.

Thanks 4 the help.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the receiver is called US Digital. Picked it up at wal-mart

· Registered
390 Posts
OK as you learned it's important to make sure your source device (CD player, DVD player, HD tuner) are definitely outputting the right signals on the right output (in your case, optical)

Some devices feed signal to both coax & optical at the same time, some will feed only 1 at a time which you select from the device's menu.

Getting the format right is important - there are often terms like stream, pcm, bitstream, etc depending on the device.

Also, even though the XR50 has 4 inputs that are labeled to devices, you can and often will remap these in the XR50's menu.

You have to tell it that your "CD" is on COAX 1 (or COAX 2 or whatever)

Since you have a working CD player what I would do if I were you is try to send optical from the CD player to the receiver. Once you get that working, you'll know you have the right settings on the receiver. Then try to feed the HD tuner's optical into the receiver. That way you've isolated that the receiver is working and all you have to fiddle with is the HD tuner and its settings.

Once you've got the right settings on both the HD tuner & the receiver, it should be easy to put the CD player back into the mix using COAX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.