AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night through my power bar which had computer and vt25 plugged in, everything went off, and after this, my vt25 turned itself off on its own.

Panasonic has just stated that the vt25 has built in surge protector and they should be plugged in directly to the wall, any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
There's no question that many power strips are not rated high enough for the potential loads that a large plasma can demand. I'd assume that Panny is covering their bases in assuming that most people don't think to check load ratings. Also that many load ratings are not accurate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19548220

There's no question that many power strips are not rated high enough for the potential loads that a large plasma can demand. I'd assume that Panny is covering their bases in assuming that most people don't think to check load ratings. Also that many load ratings are not accurate.

thanks, well i had plasmas and computer plugged into my monster ht800 and they both turned off im assuming due to the power bar. so u do recommend keeping it in the power bar? and plugging computer elsewhere?

·
Registered
22,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah /forum/post/19548284

thanks, well i had plasmas and computer plugged into my monster ht800 and they both turned off im assuming due to the power bar. so u do recommend keeping it in the power bar? and plugging computer elsewhere?

I'm with Panasonic on this one, plug the TV into the wall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had my samsung PN50C490 too freeze up and shut down on its own once, but it obviously was a glitch and not a power issue. I have mine on a surge and honestly I would not care what they say and try the surge protector first but yes if the rating is too low then it is too low and I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since we have power outages several times a year, I put our AV system on a APC S15 Power conditioner and battery backup made for AV systems. I have found some good online deals on them for about $300 and well worth it to avoid the TV or Audio system from being fried by bad power. It has a pure sine wave output that is recommended over the stepped output in many cheaper UPS systems.

Besides full time voltage regulation and spike protection it also allows us to stay online for about 10 min until our backup generator kicks in when we loose power.

Another advantage is that our TIVO always took forever to reboot even after a short power outage, now it stays online all the time (except when it crashes, which also seems less frequent)

At 15KVA the S15 is a bit of overkill since we only have a lightweight sound system, but I also plug our phone and network and wood pellet stove into it so we don't even loose communications or smoke up the house. A S10 1KVA or similar will probably suit most folks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.