AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up the Panasonic SC-HTB500 and after some testing, I like it a lot. The hook up was extremely simple. One hdmi from my 3d bluray to the bar then one from the bar to the tv's hdmi 1 input for the arc. There are two inputs, bluray and tv. Any components hooked into the tv work on the tv input automatically. When using bluray it can't/doesn't bring audio to the tv just to bring it back through the same cable so u use the bluray input for that one component.

It comes with a little remote that changes all the modes like clear talk and surround, bass volume and regular volume. The led's on the bar are extremely easy to read. BUT...the best part is connectivity. EVERYTHING is automatic. As soon as you plug it in in settings u turn viera link on and change default speakers to ht instead of tv and change auto on to yes. This turns off the tv speakers and sets up the bar to turn on and off with the tv from the tv's remote (the sub has to be turned on and off manually) u also completely change volume and mute with the tv remote. Since my bluray is also panny I can use any of the 3 remotes to control power and volume. ALSO the two Inputs on the bar I spoke of...those change automatically too! So all u do really is plug it in, change a couple if quick settings, and use any of your remotes to turn it on, then you can function completely normal like you didn't even have the bar.

The physical quality is extremely high. The bar is mostly gloss black with the little silver swoop like the newer panny tv's. All of the led's and cert badges are well placed and it uses a metal screen on the front. The sub is simple. All gloss black with the speaker on the side.

NOW for the sound. I'll say that at first it didnt make me say "wow that sounds kick ass awesome!". I have a pretty small room and there is definitely no surround sound at all. Probably because there are only 2 speakers in the large bar which is below average. The bar still give good clarity and the sub give a rich deep tone that is very clear and subtle, zero distortion. The only issue I had with it is that there are 4 volume levels and there didn't seem to be a perfect level, it is either loud where vocals have bass to them or not very noticeable.

So even though I have never had any type of ht system before and I don't have anything to compare it to, I had doubts about my purchase. I thought it needed more. So to test it I turned off the bar and went back to the tv speakers and listened to the same scene back and forth, sound bar on/off/on/off. Instantly, I realized how goo the bar and sub are. The tv's sound alone in comparison is muffled and empty and sounds like it comes from the back of the tv (which it does). When I turned the bar back on I realized how much it does add. The sound is louder and clearer, deeper, richer and more immersive. And I found that the sub at the second to lowest setting adds that slight rumble and depth without being overkill.

So overall I got what I wanted. It is a seamless experience that does make a significant improvement in sound. Where it may not be "surround" it is still very nice. And for $250 on amazon I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was playing more with it today and it is even better now. All the testing I did previously was with twilight eclipse (the wife's fav [Bella is really hot though]). Like I said above, it sounds good and much better than the stock tv speakers. But I realized that I didn't have any of the special settings on. They just kept flashing at me and I didn't look to figure them out.

Well this morning I popped in ironman 2 and looked at the manual. The lights flash when the setting is off. If u hit the button again it becomes solid meaning it's on. So the whole led/setting layout is very simplistic.

I played extensively with each setting, clear talk which makes the sound "come out of the center of the tv". Sound effect, and virtual Dolby 5.1. I previously said that it didn't do surround well at all. This was based on the setting being off. As I turned each one on they all work as advertised. The clear talk literally makes the sound come from the center of the tv, it's crazy. The sound effect and virtual Dolby work hand in hand. If u turn one on the other one turns on. Then u can turn off sound effect and leave Dolby on, but if they are both on and u turn Dolby off they both turn off (I might have that reversed). But the surround works very. I only watched the race car scene and the opening scene both of which sounded awesome. The settings added massive depth and realism. With all 3 settings on, it felt like a real theater.

I also realized that a lot of what I noticed with the sub being over powering sometimes with vocals was because a) the clear talk wasn't on, when on in addition to making the sound come from the center of the tv, it adds even more clarity to voices. And b) the movie (twilight) I was testing it on is not really the best for lots of bass (sappy and gloomy). So that type of movie needs the bass all the way down. Where ironman 2 I had it on level 3 of 4 and it was perfect. When I discovered this it made me very thankful that I have the option to control bass level so easily since most don't give u control and if they do it's a tiny dial on the back or bottom of the sub.

Anyway that's all for now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodson /forum/post/0

U can't have all three on. It's one or the other

Excuse me? Do u have the 500? Because u most certainly can have all 3 on at the same time. When u push each of the 3 buttons on the sb remote it shows weather it's on or off by either flashing or being solid. During the 4 seconds that it is flashing/solid if u push the button again then it will toggle the setting on or off.

Now u can not have "sound effect" on without "virtual surround" but u can have all 3. Each option is very noticeable in sound plus I can push all 3 buttons to check the status and they will all be solid. There is also a light to show if it is receiving PCM or Dolby Digital. Everything with this bar is seamless and effortless. And after watching all of ironman 2 I can say that it sounds phenomenal!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:

Yes I have it and although I like it, I disagree with your assessment

I assume that u have checked and now agree that u can have all 3 settings on at once since you did not continue that argument. If u do not believe me still I recommend returning ur sb for another bc it sounds defective.

As far as my, I again can only assume bc of your continued vagueness, sound assessment that u do not agree with. That's fine. To each their own. But please elaborate because I have given a very detailed review and I think it sounds amazing. For u just to say first off that you can't have settings a certain way when u can and then say that u don't agree with my assessment without any reasons or details makes your opinion null and void. Honestly you just sound like a troll. If u have valid reasons to disagree with my review please say what they are, because as of now no one cares.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejunkie /forum/post/19671569

.........u most certainly can have all 3 on at the same time. When u push each of the 3 buttons on the sb remote it shows weather it's on or off by either flashing or being solid. During the 4 seconds that it is flashing/solid if u push the button again then it will toggle the setting on or off.

Now u can not have "sound effect" on without "virtual surround" but u can have all 3. Each option is very noticeable in sound plus I can push all 3 buttons to check the status and they will all be solid. There is also a light to show if it is receiving PCM or Dolby Digital. Everything with this bar is seamless and effortless. And after watching all of ironman 2 I can say that it sounds phenomenal!

I can have all three audio effects turned on at once also. Which is the way I have it set all the time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

Mine does not blink. Your language is very immature to say the least. I've never attacked u personally. May god bless u.

Bro. I never attacked u either. All I said was that if u have reasons to not like the bar, let's have a constructive thread here and talk about it. I by no means am trying to sensor the thread to make the bar sound like gold. Yet u continue to be vague and not elaborate on your statement. THAT along with u making inaccurate comments about the bar is very "troll-ish".

It's the one thing I hate the most on forums is people that waste their time posting about nothing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any feeback on how well it sounds with music? We watch Palladia a lot and bought the SC-HB10 as an upgrade to the tv speakers. Not overly impressed, sound is pretty muffled (yes, I've tried all the settings) and not sure if adding the sub would make much of a difference

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellewa /forum/post/19700214

Any feeback on how well it sounds with music? We watch Palladia a lot and bought the SC-HB10 as an upgrade to the tv speakers. Not overly impressed, sound is pretty muffled (yes, I've tried all the settings) and not sure if adding the sub would make much of a difference

It sounds great with music. I have the soundbar connected to my 42" G25 & listen to Pandora all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question for you all. I purchased the SC-HTB500 wireless soundbar on amazon.com.

It is the first time i have had a subwoofer, but there does not seem to be any noise coming from it.

I have a G25 plasma paired with it. I have connected the soundbar to the TV with an HDMI cable. I do not have a BR player. I am using a DVD player. I tried listening to a THX sound check feature on a Star Wars DVD that i got and when it went through the sound test it showed the speakers that it was going through for what you heard. For the most part it worked, but when it got to the subwoofer channel it did not work, there was no sound.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone been able to locate a site that has a pdf copy of the user manual for the SC-HTB 500. I've lost mine & even Panasonic can't seem to find the pdf version that I want. I can probably order a printed copy from them, but the pdf would be much simpler & expedient. If anyone knows of a a site, please post it. Thanks. Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.