AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I thought some of you might enjoy this little clip I took of a hummingbird outside of my house. Taken in 1080p60 and slowed down to 6 fps.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGizzard /forum/post/20862096

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I thought some of you might enjoy this little clip I took of a hummingbird outside of my house. Taken in 1080p60 and slowed down to 6 fps.

What do you think?

I think I am very impressed. How do you slow playback to 6fps? I want to do that with some clips of my granddaughter swinging a baseball bat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Although I deleted the footage, last year I took some footage of a hummingbird in the neighbors yard with my TM700. My footage wasn't quite as good as TheGizzards, but I use Edius Neo (one of several NLE's I have) and had no problem slowing it down to a 10% rate.

It is amazing that even slowed down to 10% of original fps, their wings are still moving extremely fast.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20862164

Right, this is one of the huge downsides of Vegas: it cannot speed up or slow down more than 4 times. TheGizzard, which NLE do you use?

Yes you can. you have to insert a velocity envelope. right click on the footage in the time line, go to insert, then click velocity. you will see a line appear on your time line in the middle of your video. now pick a point you want to slow down, and either drag it down to 10%, or right click on that vector point you just created, and type in 10%....easy. You can also use this for ramping, etc. However, using this method will not change the speed of the sound.

Not my video, just searched for it and it came up.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/20862144

I think I am very impressed. How do you slow playback to 6fps? I want to do that with some clips of my granddaughter swinging a baseball bat.

I am going to be recording my tennis and golf swings (yikes) this weekend. It will certainly not be as pretty as that hummingbird.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Suspect /forum/post/20893507

Is it just me, or does the video quality become noticeably worse if you don't shoot in 60p?

It looks like 30p produces jagged edges and generally a crappy video! Or am I doing something wrong here?

Do you expect 540p I-Frame to look as good as 1080p AVCHD?

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20893572

Do you expect 540p I-Frame to look as good as 1080p AVCHD?

No, definitely not. But this is the "HA1920" mode, not "i Frame 960x540p".

So it's 1920x1280, 25p/30p. And it's the second highest quality (the rest are HG, HX, HE, and finally own to "i Frame") after 1080 50p/60p, and yet it looks absolutely terrible on my screen. Jaggies all over.

1080 50p/60p looks great, but I may want to record in a more "compatible" fps mode for other people. And it looks like that will make the video look absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Suspect /forum/post/20894338

So it's 1920x1280, 25p/30p. And it's the second highest quality (the rest are HG, HX, HE, and finally own to "i Frame") after 1080 50p/60p, and yet it looks absolutely terrible on my screen. Jaggies all over.

1080 50p/60p looks great, but I may want to record in a more "compatible" fps mode for other people. And it looks like that will make the video look absolutely terrible.

The SD800 does not shoot 1080p30. It shoots 1080i30. Hence the "jaggies".

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Suspect /forum/post/20894338

One of the thing you will see in 1080i as compared to 1080p/60 Is that in1080i you will see "jaggie" on diagonal lines,power and phone lines or on things like roof shingles. 1080p/60 is smoother and contrast and colors a more saturated( probably do to higher bit rate).

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Suspect /forum/post/20894547

are there players that will play it back without jaggies?

Of course. Any TV. Any BD player. Splash. CoreAVC in "field into frame" mode. Lots of choices.

Why do you want 30p? Shoot 60p and drop every other frame if you need 30p.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Suspect /forum/post/20894575

Others will probably be getting footage, and I don't want them to be stuck with video they can't view or edit properly.

Maybe you should ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Suspect /forum/post/20894575

Does it actually shoot 30i? Not 60i?

Same thing, different notation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.