AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound from the TV is slightly earlier than my floor speakers, causing an annoying echo sound. I have hooked up my system per the user manual for my Panny plamsa:

Cable/DVR to TV (HDMI)

TV to Stereo Receiver (RCA)

I also tried to hook my Cable/DVR directly to the Stereo Receiver - but I still get an echo when using both the TV sound and Stereo sound. Now I am forced to use one or the other (Floor Speakers OR TV Speakers) - not both together. It doesn't sound nearly as good as it could because the TV acts as the center speaker giving it a nice, full sound. My old 27" tube tv synced up with my floor speakers just fine.

My Stereo Receiver does not have HDMI so I wonder if there is a response time difference with HDMI vs. RCA...either way, I would appreciate any advice or insights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverm3s /forum/post/15450806

If your talking about the speakers on the tv I would disable them if your using surround sound from a receiver.

Yeah, the problem is I just have floor speakers, not surround sound. If the TV is in sync with the floor speakers, it acts as a surround sound - but not if it's out of sync and has an echo sound.

·
Registered
95 Posts
my PZ80 sounds like CRAP on voices.

the boom bang and whiz is all good, but we can't make out what people are SAYING.

i would go into your menu/sound/advanced audio

and wiggle the settings, if you have the SURROUND on, on the TV, it may have a time delay.

you may try turning the surround sound decoder OFF on your receiver.

side note:

we watched DISH on the old TV, and off the air DTV on the Panny last night, was about a 2 minute lag between the two.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A time delay is common for what your doing. When you have your Stereo hooked up, you have to disable the TV's Speakers. Go into the HDTV's Menu and turn the speakers off. I never used them on my last HDTV, and I don't use them now on the New Plasma. With a cheapo Stereo or a Surround System, you use External speakers. Your not getting Surround Sound from a Stereo using a couple external speakers and the TV's Internal speakers. It doesn't work that way. You can try swapping out the HDMI cable for a Component connection and maybe that will fix the delay problem, but what your doing sounds pretty silly. Not having matched speakers is another problem. You'd be better off to buy a cheap 5.1 all in one surround system then what your trying to do.

As for the LAG from Dish to OTA, ?!?! means nothing. I tune into my XM Satellite Radio, and for example tune to FOX News and It's delayed a bit later on XM then when on Cable. That's just how it is. It meaningless anyway, who cares.

My NEW Surround Sound Receiver I got a few days ago to replace my older Pioneer Elite has a Lag setting if I need to correct for it. Since I don't seem to have any LAG from any of my Hardware going into my Receiver and then out to my HDTV, it's been left at ZERO. My HDTV's speakers will never be used!!! I have a good Klipish 5.1 Speaker setup.

Generally speaking, Built-In TV speakers sound like crap. It's a better then nothing speakers. If you don't have a surround sound setup, and don't turn the volume up to loud, they're ok to use. If you have a HDTV, Great Sound is just as Important as a Great Picture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon /forum/post/15451434

A time delay is common for what your doing. When you have your Stereo hooked up, you have to disable the TV's Speakers. Go into the HDTV's Menu and turn the speakers off. I never used them on my last HDTV, and I don't use them now on the New Plasma. With a cheapo Stereo or a Surround System, you use External speakers. Your not getting Surround Sound from a Stereo using a couple external speakers and the TV's Internal speakers. It doesn't work that way.

The crappy thing is it has worked perfectly fine for me for the past 10 years while hooked up to my tube tv. I'm not sure why it's not working properly now.

I guess I could buy a center speaker but I don't really have a space to put it - hence using the tv as a center speaker. It gives it a fuller sound, rather than just two floor speakers on the left or right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts