AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panasonic ST30 or VT20 -

Which would be best for '2D' Blu-Ray content in a fairly dark room?

I'm mainly concerned with black level, contrast, motion handling, 24Hz handling etc. (Don't actually care about 3D
)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
221 Posts
The VT20 can handle 24Hz properly with 96Hz. The ST30 cannot do this. I believe it has 48Hz which is useless because it produces flicker.

I believe black levels are pretty even. You have a lot more control over tuning the picture of the VT20. The VT20 does have the black level fluctuations and I believe the ST30 which doesn't suffer from an weird problems.

I have the VT20. If I had the choice to go to the ST30, I'd stick with my VT20.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofor /forum/post/20777258

I'm had almost the same question.

I do care about 3D. I choose between that two TV.

sorry for my english
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/20777480

The VT20 can handle 24Hz properly with 96Hz. The ST30 cannot do this. I believe it has 48Hz which is useless because it produces flicker.

I believe black levels are pretty even. You have a lot more control over tuning the picture of the VT20. The VT20 does have the black level fluctuations and I believe the ST30 which doesn't suffer from an weird problems.

Thanks for the replies

Have ordered the VT20 and will be picking it up later on today.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have talked to quite a few people in stores and plasma lovers in general and many of them seem to feel the picture quality on last years VT20/25 models is better then the picture quality on this years VT30. With that in mind, the picture quality on the VT30 series is still fantastic and should be a big upgrade on the ST30 series.

So if the money is close, i'd say you made a great choice with the VT20.

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/20777480

Not really, the VT20 has a better black level than the VT30 not to mention the GT30 and ST30.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had the VT20 for almost 2 days now and it I must say... it looks absolutely STUNNING. Literally stunning. I cannot believe the difference between this and my LCD, and I feel like slapping myself for spending the last 2 years watching that crap

Black level is amazing and almost melts into the bezel at times, no more smearing/judder, and the level of detail on display is phenomenal. Watched Shutter Island last night and was literally foaming at the mouth
. Even my parents who couldn't care less about picture quality were floored, and amazed at how crystal clear everything looked.

Was watching it for about 12 hours straight today (got a week off work
)and have gone through several Blu-Rays, a couple DVDs, games, some SD content, and I haven't come across any of the issues I read about online. 96Hz flicker, fluctuating blacks/brightness, 50Hz related bug, buzzing, loud fans etc. I honestly haven't come across any of these whatsoever. So far the set has been absolutely perfect.

Hands down the best piece of electronics I've ever purchased.

Thanks everyone; really appreciate the replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.