AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 60" ST50 will no longer turn on, I get seven flashes of death. Upon further inspection, it looks like one of my (too young to properly discipline) kids must have thrown a blunt object into the front of the screen. I am very sad.

Now that Panasonic is no longer making their awesome plasma's, what would you guys suggest for replacement? I am open to LCD's, but really would like something in the same size and quality (black levels, color, etc.).

Price range needs to be under $2500.

Thank you for your help (and understanding)!

·
Registered
139 Posts
That really sucks to hear! Sorry about the Panny. If you want a plasma, then Samsung is still offering the 8500 series if you want all the bells and whistles. If you don't mind not having 3D or smart capabilities, the 5300 is a great plasma for a great price. You can get a 60" for about $800 on sale. If you want LED,I would check out Vizios 2014 M series TV( if you can wait, it isn't out yet), it has full array local dimming which is as close to plasma as you can get for black levels. And no other manufacturer is offering full array local dimming at any reasonable price. We are talking thousands and thousands of $$ whereas the vizip should be at $1200 or so for the 55" when it comes out.

Just some thoughts. I have the 60" 5300 from Samsung and I'm very happy with it. Have a Roku for smart TV.and don't need/want 3D.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
The 8500 is really your only choice if you want something comparable to your St50 imo, sorry to hear about your set it is a bad experience for sure

·
Registered
139 Posts

I know the 8500 is a great set. Its bright room performance is the best you can get in the plasma market. From my understanding, the black levels won't be quite as good as your ST50s' was. But, that doesn't mean they are bad by any means. Not to mention, you get the best smart tv platform out there!

I have read that the TV is getting hard to find....but I also read yesterday that Samsung was going to continue to produce the TV through 2014, so I wouldn't think it would be that hard to get your hands on one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife is actually more anxious about missing the tv than me, it appears. I pulled the trigger on a 64" 8500. At least we will get a small size upgrade out of the deal. It's just too bad we have to spend the cash.

Anyway, your input is very reassuring. I also looked up a 6 month old review in one of my Sound and Vision magazines and they were comparing it to the ZT60, with the Panasonic having a slight lead. That also helped.

Thanks again for the advice. It helped me out greatly.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Great to hear you were able to get your hands on the 8500! At least you got a size upgrade out of the deal too! Let us know your thoughs on the set when you get it. I wouldn't mind getting one if the price comes down slightly and moving the 5300 into the bedroom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts